Posted to rec.woodworking
Sean

Default Visitor query - wood trim on a motorcycle?

I have a Harley Davidson Ultra Classic Electraglide that was in
an accident in which the bike slid on its side along the asphalt
causing severe road rash to some of the chrome tubing and other parts.

Thinking about options to replace or cover up the damage I thought
that some wood trim might look classy. The effect would be understated
and subtle; I don't want to panel half the bike like a surf wagon.

Here's what the bike looks like, including the color scheme
(blue and silvery white).

http://www.hd4sale.com/bikes/photos/...520Bike001.jpg

The worst damage is on the roll bar coming down at a backwards angle
from beneath the driver's saddle. The horizontal chromed bars are also
scraped for a few inches back from this roll bar. However the front
roll bar is also badly scraped for a few inches below the bend.
Also the right side pannier latch is scratched, especially the part
above the red reflector.

I thought of using some marine grade mahogony, like the brightwork
on a boat.

There's a bit more to this, however; I plan eventually to ornament
the bike with some Viking/Celtic artwork (instead of the usual
flames etc) and I might want to engrave the wood with some stylized
animals, rope weave, runes or other symbols.

I don't have much in the way of woodworking tools but I do have
a hobby metal lathe with a milling attachment. One issue is how
to attach the wood trim -- I suppose drilling small holes in the
chrome tubing is ok if it's a write-off anyway.

Suggestions invited,

Sean
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe AutoDrill

Top posted because it is the holiday season:

Sean,

Can't really help you with the woodworking too much except to say that you
should use a good wood for sun and/or water resistance - maybe teak?

Anyhow... Would LOVE to see the finished product as a rider myself...

--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R