Posted to uk.d-i-y
PM PM is offline

Default Cable marking

Hi all,

I need to put stickers on several mains cables (IEC leads for PC equipment).
The stickers wrap round the cables with a small overlap. However the
adhesive is not strong enough and after a couple of weeks, or less if the
cable is moved around a lot, they start to peel off.

Opinions please on the best way of making these more permanent. My first
idea is clear parcel tape over the sticker - will this work? Any better
ideas?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
PM wrote:
I need to put stickers on several mains cables (IEC leads for PC
equipment). The stickers wrap round the cables with a small overlap.
However the adhesive is not strong enough and after a couple of weeks,
or less if the cable is moved around a lot, they start to peel off.

Opinions please on the best way of making these more permanent. My first
idea is clear parcel tape over the sticker - will this work? Any better
ideas?

The only really long lasting way - other than for just a number - is to
cover the label with clear heat shrink. But not practical unless you can
remove a plug from the cable.

You might have more success labelling the plug or line outlet as these
doesn't flex.

--
*I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
PM wrote:
I need to put stickers on several mains cables (IEC leads for PC
equipment). The stickers wrap round the cables with a small overlap.
However the adhesive is not strong enough and after a couple of weeks,
or less if the cable is moved around a lot, they start to peel off.

Opinions please on the best way of making these more permanent. My first
idea is clear parcel tape over the sticker - will this work? Any better
ideas?

The only really long lasting way - other than for just a number - is to
cover the label with clear heat shrink. But not practical unless you can
remove a plug from the cable.

You might have more success labelling the plug or line outlet as these
doesn't flex.

I just write on the cable itself with a fine marker pen, it seems to
last pretty well on normal T&E (either white or grey). It's not very
good on black SWA of course! :-)

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 10:58:32 +0000, tinnews wrote:
I just write on the cable itself with a fine marker pen, it seems to
last pretty well on normal T&E (either white or grey).

Seconded - I've done that for most of the AC wiring in the house as I've
been tracing things out; I suspect it'll survive pretty well.

In the UK I used to just stick small paper labels to the plugs with plain
ol' sellotape - they were all still going strong after nearly ten years.

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PM wrote:

I have a printer that prints barcodes and other info onto the stickers -
don't really want to try and emulate this with a marker pen!

The Dymo Rhino tapes are supposed to have better adhesive, saw one
lurking on the local RS trade counter last week ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PM" wrote in message
Hi all,

I need to put stickers on several mains cables (IEC leads for PC
equipment).
The stickers wrap round the cables with a small overlap. However the
adhesive is not strong enough and after a couple of weeks, or less if the
cable is moved around a lot, they start to peel off.

Opinions please on the best way of making these more permanent. My first
idea is clear parcel tape over the sticker - will this work? Any better
ideas?

http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Co.../kw/cable+ties

sticking the label on the ties, or perhaps spraying a clear lacquer or
plastic coat
type aerosol spray or a clear varnish might work.

We use these in the lab, but a bit pricey.
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/s...hTerm=233-9990

they have other types basically a label covered by clear tape.
We use them to identify our mains leads as tested/inspected.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PM" wrote in message
Hi all,

I need to put stickers on several mains cables (IEC leads for PC
equipment).
The stickers wrap round the cables with a small overlap. However the
adhesive is not strong enough and after a couple of weeks, or less if the
cable is moved around a lot, they start to peel off.

Opinions please on the best way of making these more permanent. My first
idea is clear parcel tape over the sticker - will this work? Any better
ideas?

Cover and overlap the stickers on both sides with sellotape, always works
for me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PM" wrote in message
Hi all,

I need to put stickers on several mains cables (IEC leads for PC
equipment).
The stickers wrap round the cables with a small overlap. However the
adhesive is not strong enough and after a couple of weeks, or less if the
cable is moved around a lot, they start to peel off.

Opinions please on the best way of making these more permanent. My first
idea is clear parcel tape over the sticker - will this work? Any better
ideas?

We use Brady labels which are self amalgamating. They come in various sizes
on A4 sheets which can be laser printed.

Fantastic but so is the price.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Calvin Sambrook wrote:
"PM" wrote in message
Hi all,

I need to put stickers on several mains cables (IEC leads for PC
equipment).

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/pr...sp?SKU=CB10273
TYCO ELECTRONICS / RAYCHEM - WCD-762 - LOADED DISPENSER COLOURS
Unit Price: £9.76 (£11.22)

its a white tape you wrap round the cable
write on it
and it has a layer of sellotape
cleverly built in to it
which you then wrap around it
so the ink doesnt rub off.

* Each dispenser contains a roll of pre-cut Self Laminating labels
for Wire, cable and pipe identification
* Each label has a white write on area for easy marking
* Special pad allows easy marking
* Marker dispenses automatically when the liner is pulled from base
of unit
* On application, the mark is protected against mechanical
influences by an over laminated adhesive lined transparent layer
* Temperature Range: -40°C to +120°C

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"george (dicegeorge)" wrote in message

Calvin Sambrook wrote:
"PM" wrote in message
[...]

That sounds very similar (obviously I meant laminating and not amalgamating)
but the format is much better suited to the one-off uses suggested by the
original post than the A4 sheets we use.

In fact I might get some to use at work for the one-offs as the A4 sheets,
while good for production runs are a pain for one-offs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

PM wrote:
Hi all,

I need to put stickers on several mains cables (IEC leads for PC equipment).
The stickers wrap round the cables with a small overlap. However the
adhesive is not strong enough and after a couple of weeks, or less if the
cable is moved around a lot, they start to peel off.

Opinions please on the best way of making these more permanent. My first
idea is clear parcel tape over the sticker - will this work? Any better
ideas?

Possibly not useful for the specific application as most such cable is
black, but I have recently come across Edding 8404 aerospace markers.
Water based ink, fine lines, and largely solvent and rub-proof. Write on
many plastics and metals. Amazingly good.

I got mine from Cult Pens (no connection except as a satisfied customer):

http://www.cultpens.com/acatalog/edding_8404_aerospace_marker.html#a3899

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
"Jules" wrote:
On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 10:58:32 +0000, tinnews wrote:
I just write on the cable itself with a fine marker pen, it seems to
last pretty well on normal T&E (either white or grey).

Seconded - I've done that for most of the AC wiring in the house as I've
been tracing things out; I suspect it'll survive pretty well.

In the UK I used to just stick small paper labels to the plugs with plain
ol' sellotape - they were all still going strong after nearly ten years.

Unfortunately, over a long term Sellotape adhesive dries out and the
becomes brown. I've got several archival documents that have been
runied that way

--
John W
To mail me replace the obvious with co.uk twice
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Weston wrote:
In article . com,
"Jules" wrote:
On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 10:58:32 +0000, tinnews wrote:
I just write on the cable itself with a fine marker pen, it seems to
last pretty well on normal T&E (either white or grey).

Seconded - I've done that for most of the AC wiring in the house as
I've been tracing things out; I suspect it'll survive pretty well.

In the UK I used to just stick small paper labels to the plugs with
plain ol' sellotape - they were all still going strong after nearly
ten years.

Unfortunately, over a long term Sellotape adhesive dries out and the
becomes brown. I've got several archival documents that have been
runied that way

It also loses adhesion.

--
*I must always remember that I'm unique, just like everyone else. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
PM PM is offline

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
John Weston wrote:
In article . com,
"Jules" wrote:
On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 10:58:32 +0000, tinnews wrote:
I just write on the cable itself with a fine marker pen, it seems
to last pretty well on normal T&E (either white or grey).

Seconded - I've done that for most of the AC wiring in the house as
I've been tracing things out; I suspect it'll survive pretty well.

In the UK I used to just stick small paper labels to the plugs with
plain ol' sellotape - they were all still going strong after nearly
ten years.

Unfortunately, over a long term Sellotape adhesive dries out and the
becomes brown. I've got several archival documents that have been
runied that way

It also loses adhesion.

I need it to last 2 to 3 years max.