Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default cavity wall insulation - Eaga Insulation

I have agreed to a survey /quotation visit from Eaga Insulation for cavity
wall insulation.

This is a owner occupied 1909 ( it does have cavity walls ) 4 bedroom semi
detached house .

I do not qualify for free insulation as not on any benefits.

I am unclear nevertheless whether there is any grant subsidy involved.

I wondered whether the group had any observations/ experiences on this
particlar company company/ points to watch / what sort of quote I can
expect. ?

This visit was originally arranged for 17th March so thaought I had time to
post this.

Just had a phone call that suyveyor will be on holiday then so now
rearranged for tomorrow ( Thursday ) morning. I dont know if this is
genuine or part of their sales/hassle technique. To be fair though the
original phone call was prompted by an enquiry/survey that I responded to
some time ago.

Thanks for any advice

I may post again after the visit.

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard Morley" wrote in message
[...]

I have heard that some older houses can have damp problems after
installation of CWI, but I don't have any details - except a possible memory
that its to do with the way that windows were fitted across the cavity for
older houses.

The actual cost will depend on the wall area (and probably on any other
actions needed for damp prevention and maintaining air flows etc). As I
understand it, the details re eligibility and amount of subsidy is set by
the local authority, but we were offered a 60% reduction and an extra £30
discount if we signed up on the day. You should have a cooling off period if
you do sign up straight away, but check with the surveyor/salesman.
I don't know whether LAs offer a subsidy regardless of who installs the
CWI, so I suggest you investigate
that locally.

Make sure you get details of the liability cover that the installer has on
their work. AIUI, there should be a 25 year guarantee on their work so
you'll need to know who to contact if there are problems down the line.

You may have seen my earlier post about the significant reduction in heating
costs I've experienced this winter (total gas useage almost 30% less), so if
it's suitable for your house it's well worth considering.

Hope this helps

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 14:57:14 -0000, Richard Morley wrote:

I am unclear nevertheless whether there is any grant subsidy involved.

I wondered whether the group had any observations/ experiences on this
particlar company company/ points to watch / what sort of quote I can
expect. ?

Never heard of them, but then again I had never heard of milfold before
they did mine, and they turned out to be a huge in that field. I just
checked a little further and it appears that eaga bought milfold, so I
guess they must be quite big!

Did you arrange through your energy company? They all are subsidised, and
I would expect about £150-£200 for that house, but it varies by area. You
can always get other quotes if you don't like them.

They try and bump up the cost charging for sleeves for any external vents,
and will always insist on drilling core vents anywhere theres a fire.

Steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard Morley wrote:
I have agreed to a survey /quotation visit from Eaga Insulation for
cavity wall insulation.

I wondered whether the group had any observations/ experiences on this
particlar company company/ points to watch / what sort of quote I can
expect. ?

eaga were hauled up on the BBC Watchdog programme in March 2008, though
I think that was more to do with heating installs.

have a google on "eaga bbc watchdog"

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I'm sure that's the name of the company that did ours five years ago (under
Warmfront, as I was unemployed for a while). They did a neat job, left all
the vents clear and I've found full insulation in each of the holes that
I've drilled through the wall since. We've had no problems and found the
house considerably more comfortable.

The one thing they did wrong was not to check where the electricity
cupboard was, as in our house it is recessed into the wall and is therefore
the only single skinned section of the house - it didn't take them more
than five minutes to scoop the fibres out and vac up though!

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Mar, 14:57, "Richard Morley"
wrote:
[...]

They don't have a good reputation for the heating installs, seen a few
of them and all were very untidy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have agreed to a survey /quotation visit from Eaga Insulation for cavity
wall insulation.

what kind of insulation are they offering to inject,
what haoppens if it gets a bit wet,
and will it be possible to suck it out again
if it gets wet (which would be negative insulation i think)
?

[g]

Cavity wall insulation - cavity too large ???? [email protected] UK diy 8 October 4th 08 01:12 PM
cavity wall insulation benpost UK diy 2 December 14th 07 07:21 AM
Cavity wall insulation Dave UK diy 2 November 30th 07 05:43 PM
Cavity wall insulation mikehh UK diy 1 May 18th 07 08:33 AM
cavity wall insulation LongYP UK diy 2 June 19th 06 03:52 PM