Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG[_2_] OG[_2_] is offline

Default cavity wall insulation - Eaga Insulation

"Richard Morley" wrote in message
I have agreed to a survey /quotation visit from Eaga Insulation for cavity
wall insulation.

This is a owner occupied 1909 ( it does have cavity walls ) 4 bedroom
semi detached house .

I do not qualify for free insulation as not on any benefits.

I am unclear nevertheless whether there is any grant subsidy involved.

I wondered whether the group had any observations/ experiences on this
particlar company company/ points to watch / what sort of quote I can
expect. ?

This visit was originally arranged for 17th March so thaought I had time
to post this.

Just had a phone call that suyveyor will be on holiday then so now
rearranged for tomorrow ( Thursday ) morning. I dont know if this is
genuine or part of their sales/hassle technique. To be fair though the
original phone call was prompted by an enquiry/survey that I responded to
some time ago.

Thanks for any advice

I may post again after the visit.

I have heard that some older houses can have damp problems after
installation of CWI, but I don't have any details - except a possible memory
that its to do with the way that windows were fitted across the cavity for
older houses.

The actual cost will depend on the wall area (and probably on any other
actions needed for damp prevention and maintaining air flows etc). As I
understand it, the details re eligibility and amount of subsidy is set by
the local authority, but we were offered a 60% reduction and an extra £30
discount if we signed up on the day. You should have a cooling off period if
you do sign up straight away, but check with the surveyor/salesman.
I don't know whether LAs offer a subsidy regardless of who installs the
CWI, so I suggest you investigate
that locally.

Make sure you get details of the liability cover that the installer has on
their work. AIUI, there should be a 25 year guarantee on their work so
you'll need to know who to contact if there are problems down the line.

You may have seen my earlier post about the significant reduction in heating
costs I've experienced this winter (total gas useage almost 30% less), so if
it's suitable for your house it's well worth considering.

Hope this helps