Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default cavity wall insulation

my maisonette seems to lose a fair bit of heat and i have to put the
heating on almost constantly to keep it warm. the wall in the lounge
and main bedroom is an outside wall and is north facing. it is always
very cold to touch, and condensation must go straight to this wall as
mould has appeared on several occasions.

i am writing to ask about cavity wall insulation. i only own the
ground floor and there is another flat above me that shares this
wall. it sounds like cavity wall insulation would stop this wall
being so cold which would save energy bills and also stop the wall
attracting condensation. but how would this work with my neighbour
above? i guess i'd have to pay for the whole job or convince him to
pay half?

has anybody else here had this job done and did they get any help in
the form of a grant from the council or energy companies?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
DIY DIY is offline

"benpost" wrote:
[...]

The cavity wall insulation company's surveyor will inspect your property and
advise on whether your flat is suitable, having your walls filled
independently of your upstairs neighbour, and the grants available, prior to
you placing the order. You could discuss it with your neighbour in case they
have a similar problem with condensation, or just want to reduce their
heating costs, but I don't think that paying for their insulation is
necessary. Semis are often insulated independently of the adjoining semi.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DIY" wrote in message
"benpost" wrote:
[...]

I asked about doing just the lower floor of my house (It's clad above) and
they refused saying they had to fill up to the roof line in case water
penetrated the cavity above.
Michael

cavity wall insulation Mark UK diy 15 September 1st 06 11:04 AM
Cavity Wall Insulation Mark UK diy 20 July 16th 06 11:50 AM
cavity wall insulation LongYP UK diy 2 June 19th 06 03:52 PM
cavity wall insulation - interior wall ? completed now Pete Cross UK diy 2 May 12th 06 12:40 PM
Cavity Wall Insulation - Have I Got It ? Terence UK diy 25 March 17th 06 10:34 PM