Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pete Cross

Default cavity wall insulation - interior wall ? completed now

Thanks for your reply Phil L, the firm that did the job did exactly as you
said, as it turned out only two holes where needed as the orig back door
opening ( now inside but 1mtr from the new outside wall ) meant they could
fill one section from the outside edge. The holes in the outer walls are now
almost invisible. I know it's warmer weather now but I'm sat here at nearly
midnight having had the heating switched off for two days and its really
warm inside, the drafts are def reduced if not gone altogether ! they also
replaced the airbricks under the suspended wood floor areas with sleeeved
one's and put what looks like a 20ft long loo brush vertically in the cavity
between our half and the neighbours ( 1930's semi ) so it didn't spill over
into their walls. We paid £75 and Powergen paid the rest ( or prob the
government paid Powergen ) but so far it looks like the heating bill for
next winter will be lowered.

Pete

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L

Pete Cross wrote:
[...]

The long brush is called a barrier and sometimes they are a royal PITA to
get in.

The underfloor vents are almost always replaced, given that builders around
that time hadn't heard of sleeving the vent off from the rest of the cavity,
which may also what had been causing your draughts (the vents were open to
the cavity...the upstairs floor joists also go through to the cavity, and
very often there were gaps around the joist ends, meaning that outside air
was flowing not only underneath your downstairs floor, which is required to
prevent rot, but also your upstairs floors), under baths where pipes go
through and hundreds of other tiny holes all over the place - these have all
now been filled with fibreglass.

Next winter you will notice that your CH boiler only stays on for a fraction
of the time to get the house up to temp, that it takes less time for the
house to reach a comfortable temp, and also that it stays warmer for longer
after the CH has switched off.

£75 is a bargain, 15 years ago the firm I worked for charged £300 for a
semi.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home

"Phil L" wrote in message
. uk...

The long brush is called a barrier and sometimes they are a royal PITA to
get in.

The stupid installers drilled a big hole for the brush in my wall despite me
telling them that the cavity was firestopped and there was no through path
to next door.
I can still tell even though it was 25 years ago.