Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT performing rights society

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 14:24:00 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember John Rumm
saying something like:

However the vast majority of people will feel perfectly justified in
ripping their own CDs to use in these ways (as they would making their
own compilations from their existing CDs etc).

Over the years I have bought, at full price, many albums of music.
Rather than sit down and laboriously rip them all to mp3, I have quite
happily let someone else do the work and downloaded 'illegal' copies via
Limewire or similar.
As far as I'm concerned, my attitude is that I've already paid for the
music once and that's enough. Bruce and his cohorts can go ****
themselves.

It's hardly laborious.
All you need is a copy of a freeware program called CDex. This will
rip your CD to wavs of mp3s ( of chosen compression ).
It even features a connection to a remote database which will
automatically fill in your track titles etc.
It takes about as long to rip one CD as it does to find and download a
couple of tracks from Limewire - plus you can be assured you won't be
trying to open any dodgy files.

Exact Audio Copy is another excellent ( and slightly better, I feel )
program that does much the same - and again it's freeware. I orefer to
rip to wavs, and this program gives me better results.

Regards,

--
Steve ( out in the sticks )
Email: Take time to reply: timefrom_usenet{at}gmx.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Stephen Howard wrote:

It's hardly laborious.
All you need is a copy of a freeware program called CDex. This will
rip your CD to wavs of mp3s ( of chosen compression ).
It even features a connection to a remote database which will
automatically fill in your track titles etc.
It takes about as long to rip one CD as it does to find and download a
couple of tracks from Limewire - plus you can be assured you won't be
trying to open any dodgy files.

Exact Audio Copy is another excellent ( and slightly better, I feel )
program that does much the same - and again it's freeware. I orefer to
rip to wavs, and this program gives me better results.

Regards,

Maybe not very laborious if they are CDs (more tedious) - but GC might
have been referring to vinyl.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
et...
Peter Parry wrote:

So to ask the question again -:-

How much of each pound collected goes to running the PRS?
Of the remainder how much goes to already wealthy established
performers and how much to the majority at the bottom of the pile?

Does anyone know?

I don't know if it was the PRS, but I recall reading once that one of the
collection agencies actually distributed money to the performers not based
on their individual plays etc, but based on the overall relative
popularity of the artist in their list of members. Hence the Madonna's of
the world would get the lions share of the money collected by the agency
for plays of music recorded by up and coming new artists.

--
Cheers,

John.

Interestingly, I asked my friend who owns a guitar / amplification shop, and
is a muso himself, what he knew about the way PRS funds were distributed to
artists, and he pretty much said exactly what you are saying there, viz that
the amounts paid are more a popularity contest, than directly related to
actual airplays, based on the playlists that radio stations are obliged to
submit.

He has a license from the PRS to use copyrighted music in his shop, which he
does for demonstration purposes only. However, he freely admits - and bear
in mind that he is a musician himself - that he does not agree that he
*should* have to have a license for the very limited use that he is making
of this material, and that the main reason for having, and displaying said
license, is as a show of solidarity with his fellow musicians.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Feb, 14:54, Rod wrote:
Stephen Howard wrote:

It's hardly laborious.
All you need is a copy of a freeware program called CDex. This will
rip your CD to wavs of mp3s ( of chosen compression ).
It even features a connection to a remote database which will
automatically fill in your track titles etc.
It takes about as long to rip one CD as it does to find and download a
couple of tracks from Limewire - plus you can be assured you won't be
trying to open any dodgy files.

Exact Audio Copy is another excellent ( and slightly better, I feel )
program that does much the same - and again it's freeware. I orefer to
rip to wavs, and this program gives me better results.

Regards,

Maybe not very laborious if they are CDs (more tedious) - but GC might
have been referring to vinyl.

A USB turntable and use of a programme called Audacity makes
conversion from vinyl to mp3 extremely easy, if you've got another
programme called Switch you can also alter the output file to another
format should you want to.
It only takes as long as playing the single/album...with the added
Brucie of actually getting the chance to handle your vinyl again and
read those messages scratched in the run-out grooves - usually good
for a grin or two.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 14:54:02 +0000, Rod
wrote:

Stephen Howard wrote:

It's hardly laborious.
All you need is a copy of a freeware program called CDex. This will
rip your CD to wavs of mp3s ( of chosen compression ).
It even features a connection to a remote database which will
automatically fill in your track titles etc.
It takes about as long to rip one CD as it does to find and download a
couple of tracks from Limewire - plus you can be assured you won't be
trying to open any dodgy files.

Exact Audio Copy is another excellent ( and slightly better, I feel )
program that does much the same - and again it's freeware. I orefer to
rip to wavs, and this program gives me better results.

Maybe not very laborious if they are CDs (more tedious) - but GC might
have been referring to vinyl.

True.
It's not so hard to do vinyl rips - just takes a bit longer (
obviously ), and unless the kit is good you might just as well make do
with an mp3.

Regards,

--
Stephen Howard
Woodwind repairs & period restorations

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Stephen Howard
writes
[...]

When the man said "albums", those of us of a certain age would assume he
was talking about vinyl records

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 22:53:51 +0000, geoff wrote:

snip

When the man said "albums", those of us of a certain age would assume he
was talking about vinyl records

Perhaps. I have a fair few myself - but somehow the words 'albums',
'vinyl' and 'mp3' don't sit well together.
Still, it's a good format for ringtones...

Regards,

--
Stephen Howard
Woodwind repairs & period restorations
http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Stephen Howard
writes
[...]

Maxie, you had vinyl photographs? Fantastic!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"OG" wrote in message

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

As you are a sensible minded member of the community could you tell me
who should have paid for the PRS licence when my appentice did his
community service. The radio was on full blast when he mowed the grass in
the church yard. Several other people who were doing their community
hours could listen to this radio as could anyone visiting a grave or the
church.

The probation officer (not sure of his status but he had a badge on his
jumper) supplied the radio!

Why did you think that a 'full blast' radio was appropriate under the
circumstances? If you were responsible for this lad's professional
development you should have told the PO to take his radio away with him.

I did not think a full blast radio was appropriate and I never suggested it
was.

I am responsible for the lads professional development and I called in to
watch him doing his hours so I could take the **** out of him as that hurt
him more than cutting grass.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , geoff
scribeth thus

Have any other businesses on here been bombarded over the past months by
the PRS to get them to fork out for a licence ?

And after all that argument here's an excellent download site all the
classics you could ever want at very reasonable prices and much better
to hear the original .. not someone's dodgy rip)...

http://www.theclassicalshop.net/mp3Index.asp
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tony sayer
writes
In article , geoff
scribeth thus

Have any other businesses on here been bombarded over the past months by
the PRS to get them to fork out for a licence ?

And after all that argument here's an excellent download site all the
classics you could ever want at very reasonable prices and much better
to hear the original .. not someone's dodgy rip)...

http://www.theclassicalshop.net/mp3Index.asp

Hmm

bookmarked

nice one