Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Strange white stuff

Had fun shoulder deep in blocked drains today, but what I fished out
puzzled me a bit. The pipes were caked to blocking point with a soft
white solid. I cant work out what it is though. There were a few rice
grains floating about, so perhaps a block of congealed rice? Also
wondered about solidified washing powder, but I would have thought
that would wash through, being water soluble.

Any ideas?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

tony sayer wrote:

Urrrrgh!, think what thats doing to your arteries;!....

But that's the stuff that *isn't* in his arteries! (Unless he scoops it
out and ingests or injects it. :-( )

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

Phil

Any chance of some unblocking tips mate? I can be more specific about
the drains at my house if it helps.

If you do a quick sketch and post it at tinypic, it'll be easier to
understand.
Show assumed drain runs, manholes and outline each property, with position
of stacks - forget rainwater and wastewater gullies.

Best rods, rodding from above or below (I know of one pitfall to
avoid!), getting the rods into the hole when it is under 5 feet of
you know what, clearing fat on a long run when 4 houses share the run.

Adam

if the stack(s) have rodding eyes, obviously it's better to do it from above
(as I found out aged 18 when a full stack of fortnight old **** dropped into
a manhole I was rodding, needless to say, it went up in the air about 8
feet, and from that day to this I've never looked at sweetcorn in the same
way) but if push comes to shove, you may need to do it from below, sou'
wester on standby.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message
om...
ARWadsworth wrote:

[...]

Cheers

I will tinypic you the insides of the various manhole covers involved after
Thursday (I am not at home until then) along with any diagrams of any known
drainage runs that I know of.

You can actually climb down the manhole at the house below me (this manhole
is the one below my blockage) and there are two "inputs" into it. It takes
two of us to lift the cover.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
"Phil L" wrote in message
om...
wrote:
Had fun shoulder deep in blocked drains today, but what I fished out
puzzled me a bit. The pipes were caked to blocking point with a soft
white solid. I cant work out what it is though. There were a few rice
grains floating about, so perhaps a block of congealed rice? Also
wondered about solidified washing powder, but I would have thought
that would wash through, being water soluble.

Any ideas?

NT

It's almost certainly fat.
Having unblocked masses of the stuff over the years from various drains
and manholes, and knowing the cost and amount of work involved in
replacing sections of drain that have needed breaking to remove such
blockages, I never put any animal fats down the drains, vegetable oils are
usually OK because they normally stay liquified, but drippings from
cooking meat, especially sausages, get's scraped into the bin once
solidified or poured in when only slightly warm.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Phil

Any chance of some unblocking tips mate? I can be more specific about the
drains at my house if it helps.

Best rods, rodding from above or below (I know of one pitfall to avoid!),
getting the rods into the hole when it is under 5 feet of you know what,
clearing fat on a long run when 4 houses share the run.

Adam

If you're on a shared drain, it's usually the water company's
responsibility, certainly if the house is pre 1930. In our area Thames
Water come within 4 hours, and there's no charge

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
ARWadsworth writes

"Phil L" wrote in message
. com...
wrote:
[...]

I had the problem of our drains being blocked by fat (from previous
owners, must have built up over years given the amount that came out)

It was in an awkward position down stream from a trap after a 90 degree
bend, about 7-8 meters upstream from the manhole. Acess with rods didn't
work as they got stuck at an junction partway along.

I bought a drain cleaning attachment for my Karcher pressure washer. Not
cheap (esp as I bought it in a shed), but it did the job, and has been
used a couple more times to clean other bits of drain.

e.g.

http://www.espares.co.uk/product.aspx?ma=877&id=547362
--
Chris French