Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Strange white stuff

Bob Remeaux wrote:
wrote:
Had fun shoulder deep in blocked drains today, but what I fished out
puzzled me a bit. The pipes were caked to blocking point with a soft
white solid. I cant work out what it is though. There were a few rice
grains floating about, so perhaps a block of congealed rice? Also
wondered about solidified washing powder, but I would have thought
that would wash through, being water soluble.

Any ideas?

My MIL has been using something called Aqueous Cream on her skin and it
gets into the bathwater. From what I can gather its a very thick
emulsion of paraffin and water.

A couple of times I've had to clear out blockages where the bathroom
downpipe and the kitchen sink outlets merge. I assume it separates out
as the drained water cools.

Not pleasant - but now I know to check every 18 months or so which
prevents backing up.

bung a half tub of caustic and a few kettles of hot water down drains
every 6 months.

Cleans this sort of stuff well.