Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wall mounted fan heater in bathroom

Is it a definite no no to plug said heater into a switched 13A socket high
on the wall?
TIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brass Monkey wrote:
Is it a definite no no to plug said heater into a switched 13A socket high
on the wall?
TIA

Always used to be, but under new regulations you might be lucky if your
bathroom is big enough.

Someone will be a long in a minute :-)

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Pete Verdon" d wrote in
message ...
Brass Monkey wrote:
Is it a definite no no to plug said heater into a switched 13A socket
high on the wall?
TIA

Always used to be, but under new regulations you might be lucky if your
bathroom is big enough.

Someone will be a long in a minute :-)

Pete

The only alternative I can see is to hardwire it into a pull-switch.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brass Monkey wrote:
"Pete Verdon" d wrote
Brass Monkey wrote:

Is it a definite no no to plug said heater into a switched 13A socket
high on the wall?

Always used to be, but under new regulations you might be lucky if your
bathroom is big enough.

Someone will be a long in a minute :-)

The only alternative I can see is to hardwire it into a pull-switch.

Yep - there are higher-power pull-switches for just such purpose; my
parents used to have one until recently. However, as I said, sockets are
now allowed in bathrooms provided they're far enough away from baths,
sinks, etc. This distance is expressed as "zones" and the different
fittings that are allowed in them. I don't have all the details to hand,
but I bet if you Google _bathroom zones_ or something similar you'd find
them.

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Pete Verdon" d wrote in
message ...
Brass Monkey wrote:
"Pete Verdon" d wrote
Brass Monkey wrote:

Is it a definite no no to plug said heater into a switched 13A socket
high on the wall?

Always used to be, but under new regulations you might be lucky if your
bathroom is big enough.

Someone will be a long in a minute :-)

The only alternative I can see is to hardwire it into a pull-switch.

Yep - there are higher-power pull-switches for just such purpose; my
parents used to have one until recently. However, as I said, sockets are
now allowed in bathrooms provided they're far enough away from baths,
sinks, etc. This distance is expressed as "zones" and the different
fittings that are allowed in them. I don't have all the details to hand,
but I bet if you Google _bathroom zones_ or something similar you'd find
them.

Pete

Cheers Pete

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete Verdon coughed up some electrons that declared:

Brass Monkey wrote:
Is it a definite no no to plug said heater into a switched 13A socket
high on the wall?
TIA

Always used to be, but under new regulations you might be lucky if your
bathroom is big enough.

Someone will be a long in a minute :-)

Sockets are only permitted over 3m from Zone 1.

Other than shaver sockets.

But the rules on "current using appliances" that are hard wired in are
different. I think it can come off a fused spur as long as it's 0.6m from
the edge of Zone 1 (bath or shower edge), ie it's outside of the zones.

Sockets are a special case due to morons and hairdryers.

Brass Monkey:

How far away from the bath/shower edge can you get the heater - and how
high? If you can tell us, I'll look it up and quote verbatim.

Would the heater be one designed for bathroom use?

Cheers

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brass Monkey wrote:
[...]

Tim, this is the heater -
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/na...&isSearch=true
No way can I get 3 metres from zone 1.
Imagine the bath along a wall which is only about 8" longer than the bath,
then imagine the rest of the room to be about 1.5 baths wide. The heater
will be in the centre of the 1.5 baths wide bit, above the door. The door is
to the side of the head-end of the bath. The heater will be virtually
touching the ceiling.
Geeeez, these regs are a PITA.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brass Monkey coughed up some electrons that declared:

Tim, this is the heater -

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/na...&isSearch=true

No way can I get 3 metres from zone 1.

That's sockets out then unless you want to wire it to the German regs
(VDE100) then apparently you can have a shuko...

Imagine the bath along a wall which is only about 8" longer than the bath,
then imagine the rest of the room to be about 1.5 baths wide.

Bath = 0.7m typically, so the rest of the rest of the room is about 1m ish

The heater
will be in the centre of the 1.5 baths wide bit, above the door.

OK, that sounds like it will be within Zone 2 (0.6m from bath edge)

The door
is to the side of the head-end of the bath. The heater will be virtually
touching the ceiling.

2.25m above floor is outside of the zones, even over the bath.

Geeeez, these regs are a PITA.

This is one of the more sane ones...

OK - If you are within 0.6m of the edge of the bath, you need a device rated
to at least IPx4, which is going to be fundamentally hard with a fan
heater.

The B&Q one you mention is certainly not suitable.

Can you get the heater clear of Zone 2 ( 0.6 m from bath edge) by pushing
it into the far corner or on the other wall? If so, use any hard wired
heater, though pull cord controls would be preferable.

Or - if above the door is higher than 2.25m to the base of the fan heater,
according to the regs I think you can have it - you'd need a very slim
heater or higher than average ceilings.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim S" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks muchly, Tim. It's in the corner on a pull-switch.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brass Monkey" wrote in message

Tim, this is the heater -
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/na...&isSearch=true
No way can I get 3 metres from zone 1.
Imagine the bath along a wall which is only about 8" longer than the bath,
then imagine the rest of the room to be about 1.5 baths wide. The heater
will be in the centre of the 1.5 baths wide bit, above the door. The door
is to the side of the head-end of the bath. The heater will be virtually
touching the ceiling.
Geeeez, these regs are a PITA.

Do what anyone else would.. wire it to a fused spare outside the room.
Its earthed and you don't need to touch it so it is as safe as it can be.
You can add and rcd but it does practically nothing to make it safer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home coughed up some electrons that declared:

"Brass Monkey" wrote in message

Tim, this is the heater -

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/na...&isSearch=true
No way can I get 3 metres from zone 1.
Imagine the bath along a wall which is only about 8" longer than the
bath, then imagine the rest of the room to be about 1.5 baths wide. The
heater will be in the centre of the 1.5 baths wide bit, above the door.
The door is to the side of the head-end of the bath. The heater will be
virtually touching the ceiling.
Geeeez, these regs are a PITA.

Do what anyone else would.. wire it to a fused spare outside the room.
Its earthed and you don't need to touch it so it is as safe as it can be.
You can add and rcd but it does practically nothing to make it safer.

This is correct, but the appliance still needs to meet IPx4 to be in Zone 2,
no matter where the supply is.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:

[...]

one of these in zone 3