Posted to uk.d-i-y
DaveChester

Default Wall Mounted toilet on tile wall

Hi guys,

First post although I have been reading on various subjects for a
while.

I have purchased a Grohe frame which I have bolted to the wall and
floor, covered in 18mm WBP ply and then tiled. I left it a day or two
and then bolted the toilet on, no problem.

I have now noticed that the bottom two tiles have cracked from the
pressure of the toilet bearing down (toliet anchors at the top so there
is quite a lot of pressure near the U bend). I am quite heavy but
obviously I cant have this happening again. Has anyone any tips on how
I could do this better?

I thought I did the bolts up pretty tight (the toilet would not move by
hand). Should I hav eput something between the porcelain and the
ceramic tile or waited longer before sitting on it?

Any help greatfully apprecaited.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ideas: Stiffer backboard, stronger tiles, tile around rather than
behind loo, make up a small panel or plate to sandwich between loo and
tiles to cover the broken ones - and/or to spread the load better in
future.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Vaci

DaveChester wrote:
I have purchased a Grohe frame which I have bolted to the wall and
floor, covered in 18mm WBP ply and then tiled. I left it a day or two
and then bolted the toilet on, no problem.

I have now noticed that the bottom two tiles have cracked from the
pressure of the toilet bearing down (toliet anchors at the top so there
is quite a lot of pressure near the U bend). I am quite heavy but
obviously I cant have this happening again. Has anyone any tips on how
I could do this better?

I installed a Grohe frame, and had a similar problem as my 18mm MDF
backing board bent slightly under the lever force created at the base of
the toilet. Seems to be a design flaw in the frame that there is no
crossbar for the base of the toilet to rest against.

My solution was just to wedge some wooden braces between the board and
the rear wall to stop the flexing. If you're lucky you'll still be able
to insert some offcuts through the hole for the U-bend if you can
dismantle it in situ.

Vaci

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

DaveChester wrote:
[...]

18mm WBP is pretty soft. I'd say it has distorted locally.

Either do up less tight, or munge some silicone behind to spread the
load. Or use better tiles..

toilet, sink above tile? pgg Home Repair 5 April 16th 05 08:54 AM
How to save tile when breaking shower wall? Cindy Home Repair 9 August 7th 04 01:25 AM
Florida Tile LD Home Ownership 17 March 2nd 04 11:52 PM
HELP: vertical foundation crack in new construction Zhixin Tang Home Repair 46 October 26th 03 01:53 PM
Wall mounted bath taps Roger Wareham UK diy 1 August 6th 03 03:49 PM