Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cleaning car headlining material ?

I had a new windscreen fitted yesterday, it wasn't until I checked
later that I found the fitter had left grubby finger marks all the way
up and down the 'A' pillars. They are covered in the same stuff as
the headlining, a sort of cheap thin stretchy material. I've not had
much luck in the past with cleaning this type of material so just
wondered if anyone had any recommendations based on personal
experience.

Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bovvered? wrote in message
I had a new windscreen fitted yesterday, it wasn't until I checked
later that I found the fitter had left grubby finger marks all the way
up and down the 'A' pillars. They are covered in the same stuff as
the headlining, a sort of cheap thin stretchy material. I've not had
much luck in the past with cleaning this type of material so just
wondered if anyone had any recommendations based on personal
experience.

Get the **** with dirty fingers to wash and *then* clean your car for you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Dec 2008 10:42:57 GMT, Huge wrote:

I had a new windscreen fitted yesterday, it wasn't until I checked
later that I found the fitter had left grubby finger marks all the way
up and down the 'A' pillars.

Take it back to the windscreen fitter ...

What he said but I wouldn't be surprised to find a get out clause in the
small print. If the black marks are from the sealing compound rather than
just dirt they'll be a begger to shift.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 10:38:06 UTC, Bovvered? wrote:

I had a new windscreen fitted yesterday, it wasn't until I checked
later that I found the fitter had left grubby finger marks all the way
up and down the 'A' pillars. They are covered in the same stuff as
the headlining, a sort of cheap thin stretchy material. I've not had
much luck in the past with cleaning this type of material so just
wondered if anyone had any recommendations based on personal
experience.

Many, many years ago I used something from Diversey to clean headlinings
(I was working as a car cleaner at the time, my boss being Sally
Thomsett's dad!). It was magic. May be worth asking a valet or local
garage...

I'm just about to try Stain Devils on my headlining, unless someone has
a better idea. It has red wine splashed all over one side..

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 10:57:43 -0000, "RW" wrote:

Bovvered? wrote in message
.. .
I had a new windscreen fitted yesterday, it wasn't until I checked
later that I found the fitter had left grubby finger marks all the way
up and down the 'A' pillars. They are covered in the same stuff as
the headlining, a sort of cheap thin stretchy material. I've not had
much luck in the past with cleaning this type of material so just
wondered if anyone had any recommendations based on personal
experience.

Get the **** with dirty fingers to wash and *then* clean your car for you.

I agree with you and huge totally. But it was autoglass who fitted it,
I was in a rush, my kids were arguing, so like a fool I just ticked
the "I am completely happy with the installation" box without checking
and off he went. So now I'm picturing the scene. calling some
simpleton at the call centre who can only work from the script on the
screen, telling them I'm not happy, then having it explained that I
have ticked the happy box so bog off. Ever had one of those futile
call centre phone calls where you just cannot reason with them? I
don't need that on Christmas Eve. So I'll just try and sort it myself

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Dec 2008 11:46:39 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 10:38:06 UTC, Bovvered? wrote:

I had a new windscreen fitted yesterday, it wasn't until I checked
later that I found the fitter had left grubby finger marks all the way
up and down the 'A' pillars. They are covered in the same stuff as
the headlining, a sort of cheap thin stretchy material. I've not had
much luck in the past with cleaning this type of material so just
wondered if anyone had any recommendations based on personal
experience.

Many, many years ago I used something from Diversey to clean headlinings
(I was working as a car cleaner at the time, my boss being Sally
Thomsett's dad!). It was magic. May be worth asking a valet or local
garage...

I'm just about to try Stain Devils on my headlining, unless someone has
a better idea. It has red wine splashed all over one side..

Sally Thomsett, oh my god how I lusted after her when I was 14. She
needed a damn good looking after...

How on earth did you spill wine on the headlining, or should we ask?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Bovvered?
?@?.? writes
I had a new windscreen fitted yesterday, it wasn't until I checked
later that I found the fitter had left grubby finger marks all the way
up and down the 'A' pillars. They are covered in the same stuff as
the headlining, a sort of cheap thin stretchy material. I've not had
much luck in the past with cleaning this type of material so just
wondered if anyone had any recommendations based on personal
experience.

Foaming car upholstery cleaner.

The brand I have use is Ambersil Groom and it works will.

If there's any risk that it is oily rather than just grubby I'd consider
having it done professionally and claiming from the installer.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 12:06:48 UTC, Bovvered? wrote:

[...]

Me too, except I was about the same age! I did get to meet her a few
times...

How on earth did you spill wine on the headlining, or should we ask?

I didn't. Some pillocks stole a load of wine from the local wine shop,
didn't like the red, so heaved a full (but open) bottle through the rear
window...
http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
I'm just about to try Stain Devils on my headlining, unless someone has
a better idea. It has red wine splashed all over one side..

Just proves you shouldn't drink and drive. ;-)

--
*There's two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither one works *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bovvered? wrote:
I agree with you and huge totally. But it was autoglass who fitted it,
I was in a rush, my kids were arguing, so like a fool I just ticked
the "I am completely happy with the installation" box without checking
and off he went. So now I'm picturing the scene. calling some
simpleton at the call centre who can only work from the script on the
screen, telling them I'm not happy, then having it explained that I
have ticked the happy box so bog off. Ever had one of those futile
call centre phone calls where you just cannot reason with them? I
don't need that on Christmas Eve. So I'll just try and sort it myself

They are a bunch of w***ers.

The rear screen on my old Rover shattered due to a fault in the demister.

Insurance company said this was covered and to use Autoglass.
Contacted them - and they said NLA (there are many varieties - with and
without heater, windscreen wiper, and tints).

Asked on a car group for advice and possibly getting a secondhand one -
and someone in the trade said they'd found a new one in seconds. At
Autoglass main stores.

Got back onto my local branch with the reference number I'd been given
and they said it wasn't suitable for a '92 Vitesse. My car is an '85 EFI -
a totally different model. I've no idea where they got their details from
- my insurance ones are correct.

They came round to fit it - and of course I watched. I was surprised they
used the original rubber - after all it was 20 years old, but still
available new and at a reasonable price. I was also surprised they fitted
it to the screen dry - the factory w/s manual says to use sealer.

When signing for it I was showed what they were charging the insurance co
for the screen - approx 450 quid. Rimmer charges 120 for one - but didn't
have one in the correct tint.

And of course it leaked. Took it to the depot where they re-sealed it.
Next heavy rain - it still leaked. Took it back. They said it didn't. I
said it did - I'd been inside the boot while a hose was played on it and
it leaked. Suggested they did the same. They then said it was probably the
rubber. But that wasn't covered by the insurance. After an argument they
agreed to fit a new one free if I provided it. Which I did.

They managed to score the paint in two places when removing the screen.
Badly.

And it still leaked...

Eventually with help I removed the screen myself and refitted it by the
workshop method using sealer between glass and rubber. Perfect.

And before anyone asks - there was no rust whatsoever on the mounting
flange.

Did I say they were a bunch of ******s? And that's being polite.

--
*Never test the depth of the water with both feet.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bovvered? wrote:
I had a new windscreen fitted yesterday, it wasn't until I checked
later that I found the fitter had left grubby finger marks all the way
up and down the 'A' pillars. They are covered in the same stuff as
the headlining, a sort of cheap thin stretchy material. I've not had
much luck in the past with cleaning this type of material so just
wondered if anyone had any recommendations based on personal
experience.

Assuming it is just dirt or grease, and decent upholstery cleaner should
shift it. Simoniz make a good one.

But if it's windscreen sealer - pass.

However, it's really down to them to sort their mess. But you'll be
lucky...

--
*I wish the buck stopped here. I could use a few.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

They came round to fit it - and of course I watched. I was surprised
they used the original rubber - after all it was 20 years old, but still
available new and at a reasonable price. I was also surprised they
fitted it to the screen dry - the factory w/s manual says to use sealer.

Sounds very familiar...

And of course it leaked.

Yup, definitely familiar.

They managed to score the paint in two places when removing the screen.
Badly.

Ah - now there they did manage to do it right on mine - but only because
they didn't actually remove the rubber from the body.

And it still leaked...

Yup. Definitely coming through between glass and rubber in the lower
corners of the windscreen. I tried some sealant, but it just slowed it
down.

Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure (no, seriously) seems to have done
the job, though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Dec 2008 15:02:33 GMT, Adrian wrote:

Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure (no, seriously)

Good stuff, used it on an ordinary window here that leaked under gale
force driven rain. Took several applications but cured the leak.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On 24 Dec 2008 15:02:33 GMT, Adrian wrote:

Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure (no, seriously)

Good stuff, used it on an ordinary window here that leaked under gale
force driven rain. Took several applications but cured the leak.

Seconded!
Strange stuff - very, very 'thin' - but it finds its way into cracks
and has been 100% successfull (touching wood) at keeping the gentle
West Cork rain _outside_ my old moggie Traveller.

Gloveboxes used to fill up with water - not nice!

I bought some online from a boaty place in Norwich -
found it through Google

Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Bovvered? saying something like:

I had a new windscreen fitted yesterday, it wasn't until I checked
later that I found the fitter had left grubby finger marks all the way
up and down the 'A' pillars. They are covered in the same stuff as
the headlining, a sort of cheap thin stretchy material. I've not had
much luck in the past with cleaning this type of material so just
wondered if anyone had any recommendations based on personal
experience.

I was so exasperated with the grubby plastic headlining of a van cab, I
just emulsioned it black. It worked, too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Bovvered? wrote:
[...]

A bunch of expensive ******s ...

Someone broke one of the side windows of my car a couple of years ago,
their quote was double everyone else's

I phoned them up to check that their glass wasn't gold plated or
something and they suddenly found that they had made a mistake

**** 'em - lying, cheating *******s, they didn't get my business

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure (no, seriously)

Good stuff, used it on an ordinary window here that leaked under gale
force driven rain. Took several applications but cured the leak.

Seconded!
Strange stuff - very, very 'thin' - but it finds its way into cracks and
has been 100% successfull (touching wood) at keeping the gentle West
Cork rain _outside_ my old moggie Traveller.

Have to admit, I've been wondering if it's just very thin PVA...

Who cares WHAT it actually is? The name alone is reason to buy it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Dec 2008 09:33:41 GMT, Adrian wrote:

Adrian gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure (no, seriously)

Good stuff, used it on an ordinary window here that leaked under gale
force driven rain. Took several applications but cured the leak.

Seconded!
Strange stuff - very, very 'thin' - but it finds its way into cracks and
has been 100% successfull (touching wood) at keeping the gentle West
Cork rain _outside_ my old moggie Traveller.

Have to admit, I've been wondering if it's just very thin PVA...

Who cares WHAT it actually is? The name alone is reason to buy it.

Definitely - and even as I write this, I'm desperately trying to think of
something I can use it for.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Dec 2008 09:33:41 GMT, Adrian wrote:

Adrian gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure (no, seriously)

Good stuff, used it on an ordinary window here that leaked under gale
force driven rain. Took several applications but cured the leak.

Seconded!
Strange stuff - very, very 'thin' - but it finds its way into cracks and
has been 100% successfull (touching wood) at keeping the gentle West
Cork rain _outside_ my old moggie Traveller.

Have to admit, I've been wondering if it's just very thin PVA...

Who cares WHAT it actually is? The name alone is reason to buy it.

Other stuff that works is Loctite 290. Will wick into the smallest
crack and set to a seal impervious to water or even petroleum
products. Quite expensive but you don't need much.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember Bovvered? saying something like:

I had a new windscreen fitted yesterday, it wasn't until I checked
later that I found the fitter had left grubby finger marks all the
way up and down the 'A' pillars. They are covered in the same stuff
as the headlining, a sort of cheap thin stretchy material. I've not
had much luck in the past with cleaning this type of material so just
wondered if anyone had any recommendations based on personal
experience.

I was so exasperated with the grubby plastic headlining of a van cab,
I just emulsioned it black. It worked, too.

Years ago I sold a pressure washer to a used car dealer in Essex. Rather
than clean the dirty & often faded cloth seats in the dodgy cars they sold,
they sprayed them with matt black paint.

It looked great (for a while I guess) but made the seats feel rather hard &
stiff. They actually called it 'putting on a crinkle'.

I asked if anyone commented on the feel of the seats. They reckoned their
punters had never had a car with cloth seats, so didn't know what to expect.

They also 'restored' vinyl roof's with black boot polish.

Whatever happened to the vinyl roof?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Dec 2008 09:33:41 GMT, Adrian wrote:

Have to admit, I've been wondering if it's just very thin PVA...

No, it doesn't have the right "feel". It's very runny stuff with a low
surface tension so it does what it says on the tin creeps into cracks,
fills 'em up, then sets.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 12:12:43 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

They also 'restored' vinyl roof's with black boot polish.

Whatever happened to the vinyl roof?

If you care to the point of nostalgia, they can be retro-applied.