Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cleaning car headlining material ?

In article ,
Bovvered? wrote:
I agree with you and huge totally. But it was autoglass who fitted it,
I was in a rush, my kids were arguing, so like a fool I just ticked
the "I am completely happy with the installation" box without checking
and off he went. So now I'm picturing the scene. calling some
simpleton at the call centre who can only work from the script on the
screen, telling them I'm not happy, then having it explained that I
have ticked the happy box so bog off. Ever had one of those futile
call centre phone calls where you just cannot reason with them? I
don't need that on Christmas Eve. So I'll just try and sort it myself

They are a bunch of w***ers.

The rear screen on my old Rover shattered due to a fault in the demister.

Insurance company said this was covered and to use Autoglass.
Contacted them - and they said NLA (there are many varieties - with and
without heater, windscreen wiper, and tints).

Asked on a car group for advice and possibly getting a secondhand one -
and someone in the trade said they'd found a new one in seconds. At
Autoglass main stores.

Got back onto my local branch with the reference number I'd been given
and they said it wasn't suitable for a '92 Vitesse. My car is an '85 EFI -
a totally different model. I've no idea where they got their details from
- my insurance ones are correct.

They came round to fit it - and of course I watched. I was surprised they
used the original rubber - after all it was 20 years old, but still
available new and at a reasonable price. I was also surprised they fitted
it to the screen dry - the factory w/s manual says to use sealer.

When signing for it I was showed what they were charging the insurance co
for the screen - approx 450 quid. Rimmer charges 120 for one - but didn't
have one in the correct tint.

And of course it leaked. Took it to the depot where they re-sealed it.
Next heavy rain - it still leaked. Took it back. They said it didn't. I
said it did - I'd been inside the boot while a hose was played on it and
it leaked. Suggested they did the same. They then said it was probably the
rubber. But that wasn't covered by the insurance. After an argument they
agreed to fit a new one free if I provided it. Which I did.

They managed to score the paint in two places when removing the screen.
Badly.

And it still leaked...

Eventually with help I removed the screen myself and refitted it by the
workshop method using sealer between glass and rubber. Perfect.

And before anyone asks - there was no rust whatsoever on the mounting
flange.

Did I say they were a bunch of ******s? And that's being polite.

--
*Never test the depth of the water with both feet.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.