Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Colour flagging of wires

On this subject I'm surprised wholesalers don't sell Hellerman sleeving in
the right colours and sizes for identification - much better than a bit of
PVC which can fall off.

--
*The most wasted day of all is one in which we have not laughed.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
On this subject I'm surprised wholesalers don't sell Hellerman sleeving in
the right colours and sizes for identification - much better than a bit of
PVC which can fall off.

It needs a tool to get it on (and ideally some sleave oil).
Too slow/fiddly/expensive for something the trade seems to
consider as a waste of time.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel formulated the question :
In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
On this subject I'm surprised wholesalers don't sell Hellerman sleeving in
the right colours and sizes for identification - much better than a bit of
PVC which can fall off.

It needs a tool to get it on (and ideally some sleave oil).
Too slow/fiddly/expensive for something the trade seems to
consider as a waste of time.

I'm surprised no one uses those white slide on tags as used in panels,
with letters/numbers printed on them in black. Two tags marked S and W,
to make up SW for switch wire -would leave no one in any doubt.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
On this subject I'm surprised wholesalers don't sell Hellerman
sleeving in the right colours and sizes for identification - much
better than a bit of PVC which can fall off.

It needs a tool to get it on (and ideally some sleave oil).
Too slow/fiddly/expensive for something the trade seems to
consider as a waste of time.

The right size will slip on with a bit of spit ;-) - secure enough not to
fall off afterwards.

--
*A journey of a thousand sites begins with a single click *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield writes:
I'm surprised no one uses those white slide on tags as used in panels,
with letters/numbers printed on them in black. Two tags marked S and W,
to make up SW for switch wire -would leave no one in any doubt.

When I was redoing the lighting in a house for home-automation
(all lighting points and switch cables run to a central wiring
point, a bit like cat5 cabling), I found biro writes very nicely
on white PVC sheath, and labelled all the wires that way.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
Harry Bloomfield writes:
I'm surprised no one uses those white slide on tags as used in panels,
with letters/numbers printed on them in black. Two tags marked S and W,
to make up SW for switch wire -would leave no one in any doubt.

When I was redoing the lighting in a house for home-automation
(all lighting points and switch cables run to a central wiring
point, a bit like cat5 cabling), I found biro writes very nicely
on white PVC sheath, and labelled all the wires that way.

Andrew Gabriel

And a 10p Biro does thousands of cables. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Harry Bloomfield
saying something like:

I'm surprised no one uses those white slide on tags as used in panels,
with letters/numbers printed on them in black. Two tags marked S and W,
to make up SW for switch wire -would leave no one in any doubt.

For a wire which will, in all probability, never be looked at again? Get
real.
Such things are useful in control panels for plant, where the opening of
the lid more than once and someone rooting around fixing a fault is very
likely during the lifetime of the equipment.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
On this subject I'm surprised wholesalers don't sell Hellerman sleeving in
the right colours and sizes for identification - much better than a bit of
PVC which can fall off.

It needs a tool to get it on (and ideally some sleave oil).

....and probably doesn't meet BS 2848 (or its harmonised EN equivalent)
as required by BS 7671.

For a long time I used 2 mm i/d silicone rubber sleeving for this
purpose - e.g. RS stock code 399-445. It complies with the standard,
pushes nicely on to a 1.0 or 1.5 mm^2 conductor without special tools,
stays put and looks neat.

However I've been unable to source this material in brown and blue at
anything like a sensible price. RS told me they had no plans to
introduce those colours. Siegrist Orel were surprisingly unhelpful,
wanting a large MOQ and a small order surcharge - GBP 70+ for 20 m of
sleeving seemed just a little OTT!

So I've taken to using heatshrink - but if anyone knows of a source of
brown & blue silicone in small quantity, sensibly priced, I'd be most
interested to hear.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I wrote:

[Re. Hellerman (Helsyn) sleeves]

...and probably doesn't meet BS 2848 (or its harmonised EN equivalent)
as required by BS 7671.

Sorry, ignore that bit - complete bollo.

BS 2848 (now BS EN 60684 series) is only mandated for earth sleeving.
Colour marking sleeving needs to meet BS 3858, which I've just looked
up. It covers Hellerman type sleeving (polychloroprene), PVC and
silicone types.

For a long time I used 2 mm i/d silicone rubber sleeving for this
purpose - e.g. RS stock code 399-445. It complies with the standard,
pushes nicely on to a 1.0 or 1.5 mm^2 conductor without special tools,
stays put and looks neat.

However I've been unable to source this material in brown and blue at
anything like a sensible price. RS told me they had no plans to
introduce those colours. Siegrist Orel were surprisingly unhelpful,
wanting a large MOQ and a small order surcharge - GBP 70+ for 20 m of
sleeving seemed just a little OTT!

So I've taken to using heatshrink - but if anyone knows of a source of
brown & blue silicone in small quantity, sensibly priced, I'd be most
interested to hear.

Stet.

--
Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Wade wrote:
[Re. Hellerman (Helsyn) sleeves]

...and probably doesn't meet BS 2848 (or its harmonised EN equivalent)
as required by BS 7671.

Sorry, ignore that bit - complete bollo.

BS 2848 (now BS EN 60684 series) is only mandated for earth sleeving.
Colour marking sleeving needs to meet BS 3858, which I've just looked
up. It covers Hellerman type sleeving (polychloroprene), PVC and
silicone types.

Good - I'd not use it for earth sleeving anyway as that's ok.

Just to inform others RS components etc stock Hellerman sleeving in
suitable sizes and colours. Comes in packs of 100 about an inch long - so
only suitable for identification in this application.

--
*He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
Andy Wade wrote:
[Re. Hellerman (Helsyn) sleeves]

...and probably doesn't meet BS 2848 (or its harmonised EN equivalent)
as required by BS 7671.

Sorry, ignore that bit - complete bollo.

BS 2848 (now BS EN 60684 series) is only mandated for earth sleeving.
Colour marking sleeving needs to meet BS 3858, which I've just looked
up. It covers Hellerman type sleeving (polychloroprene), PVC and
silicone types.

Good - I'd not use it for earth sleeving anyway as that's ok.

Just to inform others RS components etc stock Hellerman sleeving in
suitable sizes and colours. Comes in packs of 100 about an inch long - so
only suitable for identification in this application.

I bought mine from Farnell. CPC do some too, but annoyingly
don't do the sleeve oil. I used to by it in tiny jars that
lasted me 5 or more years. Last time, I could only find it
in a large bottle, but at least I don't ever envisage
having to buy any more in my lifetime.

The sleeving all has use-by dates on it. Some of mine is
now 15+ years past the dates, but it still seems OK. I make
a point of storing it in the dark (I've noticed used pieces
can deteriorate in sunlight).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Just to inform others RS components etc stock Hellerman sleeving in
suitable sizes and colours. Comes in packs of 100 about an inch long -
so only suitable for identification in this application.

I bought mine from Farnell. CPC do some too, but annoyingly
don't do the sleeve oil. I used to by it in tiny jars that
lasted me 5 or more years. Last time, I could only find it
in a large bottle, but at least I don't ever envisage
having to buy any more in my lifetime.

I decant it into one of those squeeze 'syringes' you get with printer ink
refill kits. Ideal for applying a small amount and don't spill if knocked
over.

The sleeving all has use-by dates on it. Some of mine is
now 15+ years past the dates, but it still seems OK. I make
a point of storing it in the dark (I've noticed used pieces
can deteriorate in sunlight).

Yes - like all rubber products it will suffer to some extent from light
exposure. But seems to last well inside a backing box,etc. I've been using
it for 30 years or so and it survives ok in this application.

--
*If you don't pay your exorcist you get repossessed.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Andy Dingley wrote:
The sleeving all has use-by dates on it. Some of mine is
now 15+ years past the dates, but it still seems OK. I make
a point of storing it in the dark (I've noticed used pieces
can deteriorate in sunlight).

Ozone and nitrous oxides will hurt it too. Keep it away from HT
electrics, laser printers etc. Simple moisture doesn't help either,
although much less rapidly. Keep it in a tin with a bit of silica gel
and it lasts for years (I'm reworking '50s vintage ex-RAF kit and the
rubbers are still OK).

Of course the alternative PVC ain't perfect either - although of course it
survives well in normal domestic use. But PVC wiring in cars cracks and
falls apart after not that many years where it's exposed to heat and
vibration.

--
*I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.