Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Colour flagging of wires

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
Andy Wade wrote:
[Re. Hellerman (Helsyn) sleeves]

...and probably doesn't meet BS 2848 (or its harmonised EN equivalent)
as required by BS 7671.

Sorry, ignore that bit - complete bollo.

BS 2848 (now BS EN 60684 series) is only mandated for earth sleeving.
Colour marking sleeving needs to meet BS 3858, which I've just looked
up. It covers Hellerman type sleeving (polychloroprene), PVC and
silicone types.

Good - I'd not use it for earth sleeving anyway as that's ok.

Just to inform others RS components etc stock Hellerman sleeving in
suitable sizes and colours. Comes in packs of 100 about an inch long - so
only suitable for identification in this application.

I bought mine from Farnell. CPC do some too, but annoyingly
don't do the sleeve oil. I used to by it in tiny jars that
lasted me 5 or more years. Last time, I could only find it
in a large bottle, but at least I don't ever envisage
having to buy any more in my lifetime.

The sleeving all has use-by dates on it. Some of mine is
now 15+ years past the dates, but it still seems OK. I make
a point of storing it in the dark (I've noticed used pieces
can deteriorate in sunlight).

--
Andrew Gabriel