Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Wade Andy Wade is offline

Default Colour flagging of wires

I wrote:

[Re. Hellerman (Helsyn) sleeves]

...and probably doesn't meet BS 2848 (or its harmonised EN equivalent)
as required by BS 7671.

Sorry, ignore that bit - complete bollo.

BS 2848 (now BS EN 60684 series) is only mandated for earth sleeving.
Colour marking sleeving needs to meet BS 3858, which I've just looked
up. It covers Hellerman type sleeving (polychloroprene), PVC and
silicone types.

For a long time I used 2 mm i/d silicone rubber sleeving for this
purpose - e.g. RS stock code 399-445. It complies with the standard,
pushes nicely on to a 1.0 or 1.5 mm^2 conductor without special tools,
stays put and looks neat.

However I've been unable to source this material in brown and blue at
anything like a sensible price. RS told me they had no plans to
introduce those colours. Siegrist Orel were surprisingly unhelpful,
wanting a large MOQ and a small order surcharge - GBP 70+ for 20 m of
sleeving seemed just a little OTT!

So I've taken to using heatshrink - but if anyone knows of a source of
brown & blue silicone in small quantity, sensibly priced, I'd be most
interested to hear.

Stet.

--
Andy