Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Shelf supports

Several (many?) years ago I remember seeing, probably in a shed
somewhere, a shelving support system that used a horizontal wooden
batten, machined into a sort of half round section with a channel
running all the way along it. Screw holes at the base of the channel
to attach it to the wall, then the shelf slotted (tightly) into the
channel and hid the screws. Sort of a not-quite-concealed support for
a conventionally-thick shelf, rather than these horrible chunky
'floating' shelves that seem to be all the rage these days.

I've googled my fingers to the bone; anyone know if they're still
available anywhere?

--
Roger Morton

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In , Owain wrote:

I remember a metal batten of such a description, not wood. .. thinks
and
googles - Spur Cliffhanger?
http://www.clydeinfo.com/chmain/dbi/...ts3/page4.html

This place says they have Spur Cliffhanger
http://www.spurshelving.co.uk/ (now Storage Solutions)

You could get small brackets like this one:
http://www.chimerakitchens.co.uk/aca...ss_shelf_suppo
rts.html

Or just make your own less-chunky floating shelves using the fixings
http://www.chimerakitchens.co.uk/aca...lf_system.html

This might also be a useful source of shelfy bits
http://www.e-
shopfittings.co.uk/shelving_systems/wall_gripper_brackets/20_0c.html

Isn't it amazing what a difference the right words make to google -
'hanger', and particularly 'cliff', would never have occurred to me.
And it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if it were exactly the
same product as my warped memory tells me was wooden.

Anyway, it looks as though it will fit the bill perfectly. Many, many,
thanks.

--
Roger Morton

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Morton wrote:
In , Owain wrote:

[...]

Beware, that cantilevered shelves can't take much weight.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
et...
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Beware, that cantilevered shelves can't take much weight.

Depends what they're made of I would think. And they have the advantage
that they're supported along their length so long spans are possible
without visible sag. With the continuous support the bracket and shelf
only has to support the weight across the depth of the shelf not along its
length. Even a fairly lightweight shelf would support the weight of eg a
gramophone record on edge. It's the opposite of eg a cantilever bridge.

Owain

Yebbut, the leverage on the mounting screws is enormous compared with other
systems - A whole shelf of vinyl is going to need anchor bolts and a very
tough fitting along the wall.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In , Bob Mannix wrote:

Yebbut, the leverage on the mounting screws is enormous compared with
other
systems - A whole shelf of vinyl is going to need anchor bolts and a
very
tough fitting along the wall.

Have no fear - this is for a tiny narrow pair of shelves in a cramped
utility cupboard, to keep a washer/dryer stack company. They'll be
holding boxes/bottles of the strange unguents that SMWBO inserts into
these machines. Main criterion is easy removability, because they'll
be blocking access to some of the plumbing. The slot thing will be
fine, unless the shelf is *too* tight. Otherwise it'll just have to be
a pair of the bog-standard vertical slotted runners (which looks a bit
silly for a width of about 300mm), and slot-in brackets.

--
Roger Morton

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Morton" wrote in message
newskC5EAebJ0KgfmEVClbFEg@LIVING...
In , Bob Mannix wrote:

Yebbut, the leverage on the mounting screws is enormous compared with
other
systems - A whole shelf of vinyl is going to need anchor bolts and a
very
tough fitting along the wall.

Have no fear - this is for a tiny narrow pair of shelves in a cramped
utility cupboard, to keep a washer/dryer stack company. They'll be
holding boxes/bottles of the strange unguents that SMWBO inserts into
these machines. Main criterion is easy removability, because they'll
be blocking access to some of the plumbing. The slot thing will be
fine, unless the shelf is *too* tight. Otherwise it'll just have to be
a pair of the bog-standard vertical slotted runners (which looks a bit
silly for a width of about 300mm), and slot-in brackets.

Beware the slotted runners 300mm apart! A small discrepancy (the sort you
get with a small drill wander) in the heights shows enormously on a shelf
that short, when it wouldn't with a longer one. BTDTGTTS

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In , Bob Mannix wrote:

Beware the slotted runners 300mm apart! A small discrepancy (the sort
you
get with a small drill wander) in the heights shows enormously on a
shelf
that short, when it wouldn't with a longer one. BTDTGTTS

You cannot possibly be insinuating that my shakey 60 year old hands
would allow a drill bit to wobble...

can you?

I do take the point :-)

My total horizontal expanse of wall is 400mm (this is not, remotely, a
simple, square, cupboard). Another option might be one of those
hanging shoe holders, intended to hang off a wardrobe rail. If I can
find a sensible way of hanging it off a back wall, it ought to be very
simple to remove when needed, and there'd be no need to pretend that it
was never intended to be precisely level :-)

--
Roger Morton

Shelf supports Jimbo Woodworking 1 September 7th 07 07:19 PM
Do shelf supports like this exist? Gordon Airporte Woodworking 9 August 28th 06 07:11 PM
Shelf supports in vanity Jag Man Home Repair 4 March 23rd 05 10:08 AM
adjustable shelf supports suggestions wanted [email protected] Woodworking 20 December 5th 04 04:05 PM
Optimum spacing between shelf supports D.M. Procida UK diy 6 July 28th 03 01:18 PM