Jag Man

Default Shelf supports in vanity

The bathroom vanity I got needs a shelve in the under-counter space.
One side
can easily be supported with the little peg-style supports because the
holes
would be through a verticle side inside the vanity. Unfortunately, the
other side
is at the exposed end of the vanity, so I would not want to drill
through.
So the question is how to support that side of the shelf. The end wall
is
1/2" particle board.

My current thoughts:

1. Put a collar on a drill bit to limit the depth to, say, 3/8".
Allowing for
the drill point, that should stop about 1/16" short of the outter
surface.
However, any little slip-up could spell disaster.

2. Get a length of 1/2" square hardwood stock and and glue it to the
inside surface. Clamping would be difficult, but perhaps
I could use some short screws to hold it in place while the glue
dries.

Which would be best? Any thing I've missed?

TIA

Ed

Norminn

Jag Man wrote:
The bathroom vanity I got needs a shelve in the under-counter space.
One side
can easily be supported with the little peg-style supports because the
holes
would be through a verticle side inside the vanity. Unfortunately, the
other side
is at the exposed end of the vanity, so I would not want to drill
through.
So the question is how to support that side of the shelf. The end wall
is
1/2" particle board.

clipped

Cut a piece of plywood or whatever to fit inside the end panel, drill
holes in it. The shelves will hold it in place and it will hold up the
shelves.

Jeff Wisnia

Norminn wrote:

Jag Man wrote:

The bathroom vanity I got needs a shelve in the under-counter space.
One side
can easily be supported with the little peg-style supports because the
holes
would be through a verticle side inside the vanity. Unfortunately, the
other side
is at the exposed end of the vanity, so I would not want to drill
through.
So the question is how to support that side of the shelf. The end wall
is
1/2" particle board.

clipped

Cut a piece of plywood or whatever to fit inside the end panel, drill
holes in it. The shelves will hold it in place and it will hold up the
shelves.

Or if it's only one shelf you're installing then just cut that piece the
right height to fit under the shelf and slap it against the vanity wall
with a slathering of construction adhesive behind it.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
Jag Man

Norminn & Jeff,

Great ideas. Thanks!

Ed

Norminn

Jag Man wrote:
Norminn & Jeff,

Great ideas. Thanks!

Ed

Gotta be careful drilling holes inside stuff you like - I hurt a nice
library table trying to attach the leg. Ended up with a hole through
the top, but I could put a doily over it )

Specific Shelf Supports Required. Can't find them anywhere....? Sean Dees Woodworking 12 February 16th 05 12:59 AM
adjustable shelf supports suggestions wanted [email protected] Woodworking 20 December 5th 04 04:05 PM
Shelf barry martin Home Repair 0 May 4th 04 07:10 PM
Neanderthal-style Shelf Installation (long) Patrick Olguin Woodworking 11 April 5th 04 03:39 AM
Optimum spacing between shelf supports D.M. Procida UK diy 6 July 28th 03 01:18 PM