Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wooden Ramps

I need to make some ramps to get my mobility scooter into the shed.

The last pair I made was made from 2 piece3s of 4 x 2 timber about 4 feet
long cut on a diagonal. Screwed to the diagonal was a piece of weather proof
weyroc and a couple of bracing pieces of wood underneath.

These have last me since 1997 and have been out in all weathers, but alas,
nothing lasts forever.

Now, I need the ramps to be made from 6 x 3 stioll about 4 foot long, but
wider than the old ones.

I was thinking of using T & G Floorboard. Is this a good idea ? I can't
afford to purchase weatherproof weyroc in big sheets.

Your thoughts Ladies and Gentlemen please !

Kindest regards,

James

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 6, 4:07*pm, "the_constructor"
wrote:
I need to make some ramps to get my mobility scooter into the shed.

The last pair I made was made from 2 piece3s of 4 x 2 timber about 4 feet
long cut on a diagonal. Screwed to the diagonal was a piece of weather proof
weyroc and a couple of bracing pieces of wood underneath.

These have last me since 1997 and have been out in all weathers, but alas,
nothing lasts forever.

Now, I need the ramps to be made from 6 x 3 stioll about 4 foot long, but
wider than the old ones.

I was thinking of using T & G Floorboard. Is this a good idea ? I can't
afford to purchase weatherproof weyroc in big sheets.

Your thoughts Ladies and Gentlemen please !

Kindest regards,

James

I'd consider using thick decking boards. This is what I used for a
ramp to get a motorcycle into a van.

Regards
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I need to make some ramps to get my mobility scooter into the shed.

The last pair I made was made from 2 piece3s of 4 x 2 timber about 4 feet
long cut on a diagonal. Screwed to the diagonal was a piece of weather proof
weyroc and a couple of bracing pieces of wood underneath.

These have last me since 1997 and have been out in all weathers, but alas,
nothing lasts forever.

Now, I need the ramps to be made from 6 x 3 stioll about 4 foot long, but
wider than the old ones.

I was thinking of using T & G Floorboard. Is this a good idea ? I can't
afford to purchase weatherproof weyroc in big sheets.

Your thoughts Ladies and Gentlemen please !

Kindest regards,

James

I'd consider using thick decking boards. This is what I used for a
ramp to get a motorcycle into a van.

But remember that wooden boards can become very slippery especially if
allowed to collect moss, algae etc.

You might be better covering it (after treatment) with a non-slip
rubber mat, or give it a coat of paint then sprinkle sand or fine
gravel on to the paint before it dries.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Arrrrgh!!! Proper deck boards are not slippery!!!!

I've spent the last 3 days building a deck at the bottom of someones garden,
in mud reminisant of the Somme. The safest, least slippery place in that
garden was the deck boards.

Buy proper deck boards with a raised profile and lay them across the ramp &
you have the perfect non slip ramp. I've built several.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"the_constructor" wrote in message
et...
I need to make some ramps to get my mobility scooter into the shed.

The last pair I made was made from 2 piece3s of 4 x 2 timber about 4 feet
long cut on a diagonal. Screwed to the diagonal was a piece of weather

proof
weyroc and a couple of bracing pieces of wood underneath.

These have last me since 1997 and have been out in all weathers, but alas,
nothing lasts forever.

Now, I need the ramps to be made from 6 x 3 stioll about 4 foot long, but
wider than the old ones.

I was thinking of using T & G Floorboard. Is this a good idea ? I can't
afford to purchase weatherproof weyroc in big sheets.

Your thoughts Ladies and Gentlemen please !

Kindest regards,

James

Depending on the rise you need, simple ramps can be made by ripping a timber
post in two, diagonally. Cover the two bits with a weather proof board and
you're done. A six inch rise can use a six inch post, doesn't have to be to
long a length. Mark and cut the diagonal and rip it through. Your timber
shop might be able to do it for you. Screw on some flooring grade chipboard
between them, and the ramp is made. A couple of coats of a good exterior
paint, doesn't have to be anything fancy (masonry, timber coating Etc.) and
it should last you for a good long time, like your last one did.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

the_constructor wrote:
I need to make some ramps to get my mobility scooter into the shed.

The last pair I made was made from 2 piece3s of 4 x 2 timber about 4 feet
long cut on a diagonal. Screwed to the diagonal was a piece of weather proof
weyroc and a couple of bracing pieces of wood underneath.

These have last me since 1997 and have been out in all weathers, but alas,
nothing lasts forever.

Now, I need the ramps to be made from 6 x 3 stioll about 4 foot long, but
wider than the old ones.

I was thinking of using T & G Floorboard. Is this a good idea ? I can't
afford to purchase weatherproof weyroc in big sheets.

Your thoughts Ladies and Gentlemen please !

Kindest regards,

James

Last time I needed to do something like this, I got two bits of scrap
timber and put one either side. Then poured some concrete into the gap
and trowelled it a bit to get a decent slope and surface. Some thirty or
so years later, it is still in perfect condition. But the shed is a bit
past it. :-)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

the_constructor expressed precisely :
I need to make some ramps to get my mobility scooter into the shed.

The last pair I made was made from 2 piece3s of 4 x 2 timber about 4 feet
long cut on a diagonal. Screwed to the diagonal was a piece of weather proof
weyroc and a couple of bracing pieces of wood underneath.

These have last me since 1997 and have been out in all weathers, but alas,
nothing lasts forever.

Now, I need the ramps to be made from 6 x 3 stioll about 4 foot long, but
wider than the old ones.

I was thinking of using T & G Floorboard. Is this a good idea ? I can't
afford to purchase weatherproof weyroc in big sheets.

Would aluminium chequer plate not be both lighter and completely
weather proof? Just get a local metal work engineer to cut them and
fold them for you.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
the_constructor wrote:
[...]

I had thought of doing this, but, there's always a but isn't there, the
doors on my shed, shed which was specially made for me, comes below the
floor level and if I sawed the bottom off to accomodate the ramp, whoudl see
rain and all other crap coming into the shed.
Hope that makes sense
James

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

the_constructor wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
the_constructor wrote:
[...]

Just a flyer in case it made sense! Thanks for explaining.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I need to make some ramps to get my mobility scooter into the shed.
The last pair I made was made from 2 piece3s of 4 x 2 timber about 4 feet
long cut on a diagonal. Screwed to the diagonal was a piece of weather
proof weyroc and a couple of bracing pieces of wood underneath.
These have last me since 1997 and have been out in all weathers, but
alas, nothing lasts forever.

How about one of those plastic covers used to cover holes in the road?
They're plenty strong enough and often get left behind after the job's
done.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====

Using Air Bags to lift ramps [email protected] Metalworking 8 July 29th 07 03:26 PM
Threshold Ramps Charlie S. Home Repair 6 July 17th 06 10:12 PM
Ride-on mower - loading ramps sought! Spamfree! UK diy 5 November 21st 05 04:43 PM
dished drains and ramps SidKnee UK diy 3 September 26th 05 02:04 PM