Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wooden Ramps

Frank Erskine wrote:
On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 08:28:11 -0800 (PST), geraldthehamster
wrote:

On Nov 6, 4:07 pm, "the_constructor"
wrote:
I need to make some ramps to get my mobility scooter into the shed.

The last pair I made was made from 2 piece3s of 4 x 2 timber about
4 feet long cut on a diagonal. Screwed to the diagonal was a piece
of weather proof weyroc and a couple of bracing pieces of wood
underneath.

These have last me since 1997 and have been out in all weathers,
but alas, nothing lasts forever.

Now, I need the ramps to be made from 6 x 3 stioll about 4 foot
long, but wider than the old ones.

I was thinking of using T & G Floorboard. Is this a good idea ? I
can't afford to purchase weatherproof weyroc in big sheets.

Your thoughts Ladies and Gentlemen please !

Kindest regards,

James

I'd consider using thick decking boards. This is what I used for a
ramp to get a motorcycle into a van.

But remember that wooden boards can become very slippery especially if
allowed to collect moss, algae etc.

Arrrrgh!!! Proper deck boards are not slippery!!!!

I've spent the last 3 days building a deck at the bottom of someones garden,
in mud reminisant of the Somme. The safest, least slippery place in that
garden was the deck boards.

Buy proper deck boards with a raised profile and lay them across the ramp &
you have the perfect non slip ramp. I've built several.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk