SidKnee

Default dished drains and ramps

I have been asked by a building inspector to create a fall of "1 in 40" in
my bathroom to act as a shower area (1200 x 1200). I can make it slightly
more steeper if I wanted. Can anyone tell me what this means 1 in 40 and
what would be a little more steeper?

For the front door ramp I have been told to have a fall of "1 in 12" and
then gradual until I reach my boundary.

Thisis a little confusingfor me.

Sikney

Richard Conway

SidKnee wrote:
For the front door ramp I have been told to have a fall of "1 in 12" and
then gradual until I reach my boundary.

It means you have to fall over once for every 12 times you walk up (or
down) the ramp.
Peter Andrews

"SidKnee" wrote in message
I have been asked by a building inspector to create a fall of "1 in 40" in
my bathroom to act as a shower area (1200 x 1200). I can make it slightly
more steeper if I wanted. Can anyone tell me what this means 1 in 40 and
what would be a little more steeper?

For the front door ramp I have been told to have a fall of "1 in 12" and
then gradual until I reach my boundary.

Thisis a little confusingfor me.

Sikney

This means a change in level, i.e. 1 in 12 - for every 12" you move forward
you go down 1". For 1 in 40 - for every 40" you go down 1" (it's actually a
ratio so you can use any units you like).

Peter

Dave Fawthrop

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 11:48:21 GMT, "SidKnee"
wrote:

| I have been asked by a building inspector to create a fall of "1 in 40" in
| my bathroom to act as a shower area (1200 x 1200). I can make it slightly
| more steeper if I wanted. Can anyone tell me what this means 1 in 40 and
| what would be a little more steeper?
|
| For the front door ramp I have been told to have a fall of "1 in 12" and
| then gradual until I reach my boundary.

He means that you should have a fall of 1mm vertically for every 40mm
horizontally. This gives the same angle in cm, inches or feet. So 1200mm
should have a fall of 1200/40 = 30mm . Put another way one side should be
30mm higher than the other. Corner to corner the fall should be should be
a be 43mm.

| one
forty

1 in 12 is a bit steeper.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
The London suicide bombers killed innocent commuters.