Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electrical Regs 2002 and earth bonding

I did my 'leccy C&G back in 1995 and new regs seem to
zip past me like speedy zippy things. I've just got a quote
for new/replacement supplies to my flats and it mentions
the earthing needs to comply with the Electrical Safety
Quality and Continuity Regulations 2002. I've read through
the HMSO paper and it all seems to be regulations for
suppliers and distributers, other than one mention of:
"the consumer must not join the earth and neutral conductors
within an installation".

In other words, a "normal" installation, phase earth and
neutral everywhere. Is that correct, or am I missing
something?

ta.

--
JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jgharston" wrote in message
I did my 'leccy C&G back in 1995 and new regs seem to
zip past me like speedy zippy things. I've just got a quote
for new/replacement supplies to my flats and it mentions
the earthing needs to comply with the Electrical Safety
Quality and Continuity Regulations 2002. I've read through
the HMSO paper and it all seems to be regulations for
suppliers and distributers, other than one mention of:
"the consumer must not join the earth and neutral conductors
within an installation".

In other words, a "normal" installation, phase earth and
neutral everywhere. Is that correct, or am I missing
something?

ta.

JGH

I think it's been worded differently to confuse the cowboys (sorry, the
unqualified or DIYer) a bit more, but nothing seems to have changed
otherwise.

The supplier has to make sure their bit is properly bonded, because some
supplies didn't meet the current minimum standards. But that's it, I think.

You know what those IEE people are like. Never get one went you want one,
then three come along together and disagree with each other.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim wrote:
Do you want to ask anything specific about what you are doing - you
mentioned "flats" so it sounds like a non-trivial thing that you're up to.

About ten years ago I bought a building that contains: basement
workshop,
ground floor shop, first floor flat, second floor flat. Picture at
http://mdfs.net/User/HWPS/shop.htm

There are two supply meters: basement+shop, flat1+flat2. It's always
been a hassle organising the respective tenants to contribute their
respective shares of their bills. Plus, the meters are in the
basement,
inaccessible to the shop or flat occupants.

When I bought the properties I rewired everything to 16th Ed (got my
C&G in 1995, did the work in 1997), which required some fiddly working
out for the flats, see http://mdfs.net/Docs/Electrical/Supply/Multiple/
Previously, the second floor flat's consumer unit was in the basement!

The first floor flat became vacant last year, so I decided, along with
replacing windows, heating, kithcen, bathroom, carpets, decor, etc.,
to get everything properly metered on their own supplies, ie:
workshop, shop, flat1, flat2, landlord, all installed where the
relevant consumer can see their own meter.

The supplier quote mentioned the 2002 regs, which I hadn't come across
before.

--
JGH

Gas and earth bonding Sam Farrell[_2_] UK diy 3 July 14th 08 05:35 PM
Earth bonding regs VisionSet UK diy 7 August 16th 06 12:27 PM
Cross-bonding/earth bonding gas meter Jim UK diy 1 July 28th 06 09:19 PM
Earth Bonding Pedge UK diy 8 February 9th 05 11:01 AM
Earth Bonding alexbartman UK diy 11 January 22nd 05 12:27 PM