Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gas and earth bonding

The electrician that visited my daughters house as part of the conservatory
installation said she need the "gas and water" bonded in the garage.

Am I right in assuming that this means bonding the gas and water pipes
together using the proper clamps and taking the earth back to the fuse box
earth.

Are there any electrical tests involved ?

Sam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sam Farrell wrote:
The electrician that visited my daughters house as part of the conservatory
installation said she need the "gas and water" bonded in the garage.

Am I right in assuming that this means bonding the gas and water pipes
together using the proper clamps and taking the earth back to the fuse box
earth.

Yes, it's called "main equipotential bonding" see he

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/earthing_main.htm

Are there any electrical tests involved ?

Not usually, particularly if you can simultaneously see all the cables
and connections.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks Dave,

I thought that is what it was but wasn't dead certain. Looks like a job I
can do with no trouble

Sam
"Dave Osborne" wrote in message
Sam Farrell wrote:
The electrician that visited my daughters house as part of the
conservatory installation said she need the "gas and water" bonded in the
garage.

Am I right in assuming that this means bonding the gas and water pipes
together using the proper clamps and taking the earth back to the fuse
box earth.

Yes, it's called "main equipotential bonding" see he

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/earthing_main.htm

Are there any electrical tests involved ?

Not usually, particularly if you can simultaneously see all the cables and
connections.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sam Farrell wrote:

The electrician that visited my daughters house as part of the conservatory
installation said she need the "gas and water" bonded in the garage.

Am I right in assuming that this means bonding the gas and water pipes
together using the proper clamps and taking the earth back to the fuse box
earth.

Probably - although it does depend on what is actually there now. There
is a need for main equipotential bonding where metallic services eneter
the house. So if that is where the gas and water feeds come in, and then
that is probably what he was talking about.

Details here under the section on Bonding:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...ng_and_Bonding

Are there any electrical tests involved ?

A basic continuity test would be worth doing.

--
Cheers,

John.

Cross-bonding/earth bonding gas meter Jim UK diy 1 July 28th 06 09:19 PM
Earth Bonding Adrian Brentnall UK diy 11 June 1st 05 08:40 PM
earth bonding bill UK diy 5 July 25th 04 11:12 PM
Earth bonding... SteveS UK diy 19 July 25th 04 10:02 AM
Earth Bonding Lee Young UK diy 6 May 20th 04 09:18 AM