Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Earth bonding regs

Earth bonding regs.

Where are they, part P doesn't seem that informative, or am I reading the
wrong document?

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/upl...F_ADP_2006.pdf

And the associated document isn't helpful either.

Failing that is there an FAQ?

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

VisionSet wrote:

Earth bonding regs.

Earthing and bonding (equipotential bonding, strictly) are quite
separate things. The term "earth bonding" is meaningless.

The 'regs' are in BS 7671, and the IEE On-Site Guide [1] provides a
convenient reference thereto.

What did you want to know?

Failing that is there an FAQ?

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/electrical/....html#earthing

[1] http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0...272647-4455048

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-15 00:15:14 +0100, "VisionSet" said:

Earth bonding regs.

Where are they, part P doesn't seem that informative, or am I reading the
wrong document?

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/upl...F_ADP_2006.pdf

And the associated document isn't helpful either.

Failing that is there an FAQ?

Part P has nothing to do with how to actually do a proper electrical
installation, but rather documents the methods by which central and
local government taxes your work.

The authoritative document is BS7671, aka IEE Wiring Regulations 16th Edition.

Useful for what you want is

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/5.4.3.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

VisionSet wrote:

Earth bonding regs.

Yes there's lots of them depending what you are planning to do. Can
you be a bit more specific please.

Where are they, part P doesn't seem that informative, or am I reading the
wrong document?

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/upl...F_ADP_2006.pdf

Again it depends on what you are planning to do.

The document in the link is indeed the bit of the "Building
Regulations 2000" that applies to "Electrical Safety - Dwellings".

Many people would say that "Part P" is the wrong document - full stop.

The requirements for earth bonding in electrical installations are set
out in "BS 7671:2001 (Amended 2004)" usually called the "IEE Wiring
Regulations 16th Edition".

And the associated document isn't helpful either.

Which document is that?

John
--
John White,
Electrical Contractor
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John White wrote:

Earth bonding regs.

Yes there's lots of them depending what you are planning to do. Can
you be a bit more specific please.

I want to check and if necessary replace the main bonding of electrical
and rising main, gas etc.
At the moment I have a bond from rising main to (I assume) distribution
board.
Also it was 'bonded' to a very coroded ferrous pipe that appears to be
disused (old gas?)
So I wan t the docs that explain how all this lot should be joined or
otherwise together.

Where are they, part P doesn't seem that informative, or am I reading the
wrong document?

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/upl...F_ADP_2006.pdf

Again it depends on what you are planning to do.

The document in the link is indeed the bit of the "Building
Regulations 2000" that applies to "Electrical Safety - Dwellings".

Many people would say that "Part P" is the wrong document - full stop.

The requirements for earth bonding in electrical installations are set
out in "BS 7671:2001 (Amended 2004)" usually called the "IEE Wiring
Regulations 16th Edition".

Thanks.

Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

VisionSet wrote:

John White wrote:

Earth bonding regs.

Yes there's lots of them depending what you are planning to do. Can
you be a bit more specific please.

I want to check and if necessary replace the main bonding of electrical
and rising main, gas etc.
At the moment I have a bond from rising main to (I assume) distribution
board.
Also it was 'bonded' to a very coroded ferrous pipe that appears to be
disused (old gas?)
So I wan t the docs that explain how all this lot should be joined or
otherwise together.

A good starting point is:

http://www.iee.org/Publish/WireRegs/...s_answered.pdf

This gives the earthing arrangements for most electrical supply types
and is a good introduction to the subject.

It also names the parts and gives the required cable sizes.

John
--
John White,
Electrical Contractor
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John White" wrote in message
VisionSet wrote:

So I wan t the docs that explain how all this lot should be joined or
otherwise together.

A good starting point is:

http://www.iee.org/Publish/WireRegs/...s_answered.pdf

This gives the earthing arrangements for most electrical supply types
and is a good introduction to the subject.

It also names the parts and gives the required cable sizes.

Thanks, just the job!

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks, just the job!

However, always use the sizes specified for TN-C-S, whatever your earthing
system. In the future, your supplier may upgrade your supply and it is good
if your earthing is already up to spec.

Christian.

equipotential earth bonding [email protected] UK diy 17 November 17th 05 08:50 PM
Earth Bonding Question Chip UK diy 2 June 28th 05 06:41 PM
Earth bonding on 16mm supply? Gerd Busker UK diy 2 June 15th 05 02:43 PM
Earth bonding at Consumer Unit. chris French UK diy 20 September 23rd 04 02:56 PM
Further Earth Bonding questions [email protected] UK diy 34 September 15th 04 08:49 AM