Gerd Busker

Default Earth bonding on 16mm supply?

Morning,

During one of my investigations behind the kitchen sink, I found that the
earth bonding wires to the water pipe were detached (I blame the plumber).

I checked all bonding points and found that:

Earth bonding to gas, water and central heating is done with 10mm^s.
This connects to a block under the CU, and then via 10mm^2 to the earth
bar in the CU.

The supply (TN-C-S, I think) uses 10mm^2 earth and 16mm^2 L&N.
I was expecting these to all be one size fatter (16mm^2 earth and 25mm^2 L&N),
but maybe this is enough for a supply fused at 60A.

Does this sound compliant with current regs?

Gerd.

--
http://busker.org | http://www.clustervision.com
| +44 (0)20 8785 7436
John_ZIZinvalid

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 09:58:40 +0100, Gerd Busker
wrote:

Morning,

During one of my investigations behind the kitchen sink, I found that the
earth bonding wires to the water pipe were detached (I blame the plumber).

I checked all bonding points and found that:

Earth bonding to gas, water and central heating is done with 10mm^s.
This connects to a block under the CU, and then via 10mm^2 to the earth
bar in the CU.

The supply (TN-C-S, I think) uses 10mm^2 earth and 16mm^2 L&N.
I was expecting these to all be one size fatter (16mm^2 earth and 25mm^2 L&N),
but maybe this is enough for a supply fused at 60A.

Does this sound compliant with current regs?

Does it say on the suppliers fuse that it is a 60 amp fuse or a 100
amp fuse?

Is it a re-wirable by any chance?

John Rumm

Gerd Busker wrote:

I checked all bonding points and found that:

Earth bonding to gas, water and central heating is done with 10mm^s.
This connects to a block under the CU, and then via 10mm^2 to the earth
bar in the CU.

The supply (TN-C-S, I think) uses 10mm^2 earth and 16mm^2 L&N.
I was expecting these to all be one size fatter (16mm^2 earth and 25mm^2 L&N),
but maybe this is enough for a supply fused at 60A.

16mm is plenty for a 60A supply.

Does this sound compliant with current regs?

I don't have my On-Site guide handy, but from memory that sounds right
for a PME system.

--
Cheers,

John.

RCD he say 'click' ? T i m UK diy 62 January 17th 05 12:33 AM
Earth bonding at Consumer Unit. chris French UK diy 20 September 23rd 04 02:56 PM
Further Earth Bonding questions [email protected] UK diy 34 September 15th 04 08:49 AM
Earthing Conductor size (massive??) & new Consumer Unit jim_in_sussex UK diy 14 July 8th 04 01:51 PM
Earth bonding cable - minimum size? Lobster UK diy 12 May 28th 04 04:56 AM