Posted to uk.d-i-y
jgharston jgharston is offline

Default Electrical Regs 2002 and earth bonding

Tim wrote:
Do you want to ask anything specific about what you are doing - you
mentioned "flats" so it sounds like a non-trivial thing that you're up to.

About ten years ago I bought a building that contains: basement
workshop,
ground floor shop, first floor flat, second floor flat. Picture at
http://mdfs.net/User/HWPS/shop.htm

There are two supply meters: basement+shop, flat1+flat2. It's always
been a hassle organising the respective tenants to contribute their
respective shares of their bills. Plus, the meters are in the
basement,
inaccessible to the shop or flat occupants.

When I bought the properties I rewired everything to 16th Ed (got my
C&G in 1995, did the work in 1997), which required some fiddly working
out for the flats, see http://mdfs.net/Docs/Electrical/Supply/Multiple/
Previously, the second floor flat's consumer unit was in the basement!

The first floor flat became vacant last year, so I decided, along with
replacing windows, heating, kithcen, bathroom, carpets, decor, etc.,
to get everything properly metered on their own supplies, ie:
workshop, shop, flat1, flat2, landlord, all installed where the
relevant consumer can see their own meter.

The supplier quote mentioned the 2002 regs, which I hadn't come across
before.

--
JGH