Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Floating chimney. Am I seeing things?

A house is being built on my route home. The chimney just went on. The
chimney sits on the roof - two pots and it looks like brick. But there's
nothing underneath. I nearly crashed into the grass verge trying to make
out whether I was seeing things. But no - just empty space. No brick
stack going down to the ground. The brickwork is sitting on the ridge.
Is it just me not looking carefully enough before, or is this a new
idea? Not sure I'd like to be underneath in a high wind.

Peter Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Scott coughed up some electrons that declared:

A house is being built on my route home. The chimney just went on. The
chimney sits on the roof - two pots and it looks like brick. But there's
nothing underneath. I nearly crashed into the grass verge trying to make
out whether I was seeing things. But no - just empty space. No brick
stack going down to the ground. The brickwork is sitting on the ridge.
Is it just me not looking carefully enough before, or is this a new
idea? Not sure I'd like to be underneath in a high wind.

Peter Scott

Filming for the next episode of Bobski the Builder?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Peter Scott" wrote in message
om...
A house is being built on my route home. The chimney just went on. The
chimney sits on the roof - two pots and it looks like brick. But there's
nothing underneath. I nearly crashed into the grass verge trying to make
out whether I was seeing things. But no - just empty space. No brick stack
going down to the ground. The brickwork is sitting on the ridge. Is it just
me not looking carefully enough before, or is this a new idea? Not sure I'd
like to be underneath in a high wind.

Peter Scott

does it have precast flus pieces ... bricking off top of those would be an
option I guess.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Scott wrote:
A house is being built on my route home. The chimney just went on. The
chimney sits on the roof - two pots and it looks like brick. But there's
nothing underneath. I nearly crashed into the grass verge trying to make
out whether I was seeing things. But no - just empty space. No brick
stack going down to the ground. The brickwork is sitting on the ridge.
Is it just me not looking carefully enough before, or is this a new
idea? Not sure I'd like to be underneath in a high wind.

Peter Scott

Well it MIGHT be purely decorative, or in fact its simply being used as
a decorative top to a stainless steel flue.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Scott wrote:
A house is being built on my route home. The chimney just went on. The
chimney sits on the roof - two pots and it looks like brick. But
there's nothing underneath. I nearly crashed into the grass verge
trying to make out whether I was seeing things. But no - just empty
space. No brick stack going down to the ground. The brickwork is
sitting on the ridge. Is it just me not looking carefully enough
before, or is this a new idea? Not sure I'd like to be underneath in
a high wind.

Let me guess. You either work in a brewery or a distillery right?

:-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Peter Scott writes:
A house is being built on my route home. The chimney just went on. The
chimney sits on the roof - two pots and it looks like brick. But there's
nothing underneath. I nearly crashed into the grass verge trying to make
out whether I was seeing things. But no - just empty space. No brick
stack going down to the ground. The brickwork is sitting on the ridge.
Is it just me not looking carefully enough before, or is this a new
idea? Not sure I'd like to be underneath in a high wind.

Yes, I saw several of these going up about 3 years ago.
Fortunately I was walking past at the time, not driving;-)
I can't recall exact details, but the roof was only the timber
A-frames, and there were a row of brick chimneys pirched
along the apex, with nothing underneath. I think they were
setting on what was presumably a steel plate sitting on the
rafters. I didn't see any of the stacks being built, and it
could be they were just cardboard boxes with brick faces
glued on.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mj Mj is offline

"Peter Scott" wrote in message
om...
A house is being built on my route home. The chimney just went on. The
chimney sits on the roof - two pots and it looks like brick. But there's
nothing underneath. I nearly crashed into the grass verge trying to make
out whether I was seeing things. But no - just empty space. No brick stack
going down to the ground. The brickwork is sitting on the ridge. Is it just
me not looking carefully enough before, or is this a new idea? Not sure I'd
like to be underneath in a high wind.

Peter Scott

prefabricated chimney top?

http://www.mi-flues.com/pdfs/mf22brochure.pdf

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Peter Scott writes:
[...]

That's a relief. I can smile at the guys with the straight-jackets
again. Nothing at all underneath. No pipes nor ducts. Just the timber
and fresh air.

I wondered if it was plastic, but couldn't see the point of it. Why not
just have a stub of metal?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mj" wrote in message
"Peter Scott" wrote in message
om...
A house is being built on my route home. The chimney just went on. The
chimney sits on the roof - two pots and it looks like brick. But there's
nothing underneath. I nearly crashed into the grass verge trying to make
out whether I was seeing things. But no - just empty space. No brick stack
going down to the ground. The brickwork is sitting on the ridge. Is it
just me not looking carefully enough before, or is this a new idea? Not
sure I'd like to be underneath in a high wind.

Peter Scott

prefabricated chimney top?

http://www.mi-flues.com/pdfs/mf22brochure.pdf

Amazing - I'll have 4 that will impress the neighbours!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I wondered if it was plastic, but couldn't see the point of it. Why
not just have a stub of metal?

I suspect that comment will get you on the a little list at CABE - if
their white-coated guys have not already collected you.
--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Scott wrote:

A house is being built on my route home. The chimney just went on. The
chimney sits on the roof - two pots and it looks like brick. But there's
nothing underneath.

Plastic chimneys, just there for show.
There is a row of new terraced houses near to me where they had the same
thing done, the chimneys were stacked to one side for a few weeks until
the roof was finished, then stuck on.
Apparently, the planners had to make the new houses blend in with the
area, and, they did, from a distance, they look like old terrace houses.
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 18:43:04 +0100, Peter Scott wrote:

A house is being built on my route home. The chimney just went on. The
chimney sits on the roof - two pots and it looks like brick. But there's
nothing underneath. I nearly crashed into the grass verge trying to make
out whether I was seeing things. But no - just empty space. No brick
stack going down to the ground. The brickwork is sitting on the ridge.
Is it just me not looking carefully enough before, or is this a new
idea? Not sure I'd like to be underneath in a high wind.

Saw one of these going up onto an old people's home being built round here
(out on the A4 towards Twyford from Reading). I guess it was fibreglass or
suchlike and purely decorative to give the place a homey feel rather than
looking like a granny processing unit.

The name the place had was (is) most ironic/sad: The Sunrise Home.

--
John Stumbles

Hypnotising Hypnotists Can Be Tricky
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
A.Lee wrote:
Peter Scott wrote:

A house is being built on my route home. The chimney just went on. The
chimney sits on the roof - two pots and it looks like brick. But there's
nothing underneath.

Plastic chimneys, just there for show.
There is a row of new terraced houses near to me where they had the same
thing done, the chimneys were stacked to one side for a few weeks until
the roof was finished, then stuck on.
Apparently, the planners had to make the new houses blend in with the
area, and, they did, from a distance, they look like old terrace houses.

Same round near where I live - a new smallish estate went up a few years
back with "chimneys" on top to blend-in with the surrounding houses...

Gordon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 00:24:33 +0100, Owain
wrote:

John Stumbles wrote:
... a granny processing unit.
The name the place had was (is) most ironic/sad: The Sunrise Home.

Sunset would have been more appropriate.

Owain

I like the address of the sheltered housing in Yaxham, Norfolk

"St Peter'sClose"

Anna
--
Anna Kettle
Lime plaster repair and conservation

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Gordon Henderson" wrote in message
In article ,
A.Lee wrote:
Peter Scott wrote:

A house is being built on my route home. The chimney just went on. The
chimney sits on the roof - two pots and it looks like brick. But
there's
nothing underneath.

Plastic chimneys, just there for show.
There is a row of new terraced houses near to me where they had the same
thing done, the chimneys were stacked to one side for a few weeks until
the roof was finished, then stuck on.
Apparently, the planners had to make the new houses blend in with the
area, and, they did, from a distance, they look like old terrace houses.

Same round near where I live - a new smallish estate went up a few years
back with "chimneys" on top to blend-in with the surrounding houses...

Gordon

See
http://www.premierbuildingproducts.c...ages/index.php

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Same round near where I live - a new smallish estate went up a few years
back with "chimneys" on top to blend-in with the surrounding houses...

Gordon

Stupid idiotic planning ideology ;(....
--
Tony Sayer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
"Mj" wrote in message
"Peter Scott" wrote in message
om...
A house is being built on my route home. The chimney just went on. The
chimney sits on the roof - two pots and it looks like brick. But there's
nothing underneath. I nearly crashed into the grass verge trying to make
out whether I was seeing things. But no - just empty space. No brick stack
going down to the ground. The brickwork is sitting on the ridge. Is it
just me not looking carefully enough before, or is this a new idea? Not
sure I'd like to be underneath in a high wind.

Peter Scott

prefabricated chimney top?

http://www.mi-flues.com/pdfs/mf22brochure.pdf

Amazing - I'll have 4 that will impress the neighbours!

You get right to the bottom before you discover that they are made of
steel. Biggest is 90kg. 'Easily fitted by two people'!! It's a bit
phoney isn't it, or is it just me being a purist.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Anna Kettle wrote:

I like the address of the sheltered housing in Yaxham, Norfolk

"St Peter'sClose"

Anna

That's wonderful Anna. It can't have been a deliberate pun of genius can
it? No I think them what decides these things will be devoid of humour.

Peter Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 04:10:26 +0000, Anna Kettle wrote:

I like the address of the sheltered housing in Yaxham, Norfolk

"St Peter'sClose"

Is that for real? I've seen it in circulation in one of those Friday
afternoon emails as a joke.

--
John Stumbles

Never believe anyone who claims to be a liar

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , John Stumbles
scribeth thus
On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 04:10:26 +0000, Anna Kettle wrote:

I like the address of the sheltered housing in Yaxham, Norfolk

"St Peter'sClose"

Is that for real? I've seen it in circulation in one of those Friday
afternoon emails as a joke.

Yes it is according the Google mapping...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

neverwas wrote:

Someone else wrote:
I wondered if it was plastic, but couldn't see the point of it. Why
not just have a stub of metal?

I suspect that comment will get you on the a little list at CABE - if
their white-coated guys have not already collected you.

I knew of a barn conversion once where the owner wanted to build a
chimney, but the listed buildings officers refused and made him install
a stainless steel flue. They said a chimney was not a traditional
feature of a barn, and they preferred any alterations to be obvious.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed"?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

Could you get an aerial - or even better a satellite dish - inside a
plastic chimneypot?

Yes, I believe satellite dish inside fibreglass chimney has been done.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugo Nebula wrote:
neverwas wrote:

Someone else wrote:
I wondered if it was plastic, but couldn't see the point of it. Why
not just have a stub of metal?

I suspect that comment will get you on the a little list at CABE - if
their white-coated guys have not already collected you.

I knew of a barn conversion once where the owner wanted to build a
chimney, but the listed buildings officers refused and made him install
a stainless steel flue. They said a chimney was not a traditional
feature of a barn, and they preferred any alterations to be obvious.

I live in a barn conversion. The difference is that it was converted to
a house about 150 years ago. Guess what? They built in two chimneys. I
sometimes think the planners and other busybodies live in a parallel
universe where the only rules are those they dream up now. No sense of
history or perhaps just no sense.

Peter Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Wade wrote:
Owain wrote:

Could you get an aerial - or even better a satellite dish - inside a
plastic chimneypot?

Yes, I believe satellite dish inside fibreglass chimney has been done.

I'm not doubting what you say, but wouldn't that cause great
attentuation of the signal?

Peter Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Scott wrote:

Andy Wade wrote:
Owain wrote:

Could you get an aerial - or even better a satellite dish - inside a
plastic chimneypot?

Yes, I believe satellite dish inside fibreglass chimney has been done.

I'm not doubting what you say, but wouldn't that cause great
attentuation of the signal?

Well... You see those radomes on ships and the giant golf balls at
Fylingdales? They used to be made of fibreglass.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Peter
Scott writes
wrote:
On 26 Oct, Peter Scott wrote:

Yes, I believe satellite dish inside fibreglass chimney has been
done.

I'm not doubting what you say, but wouldn't that cause great
attentuation of the signal?

Not particularly. A lot of SHF dishes and other aerials are enclosed
in a
fibreglasss shroud. Less attennuating than a dishfull of snow!

Interesting. That's one of those facts to stow away. Bound to come in
useful one day. I suppose I was thinking that the tiny amounts of
energy coming from a TV satellite 40 000 km would be lost where the
larger amounts from radar wouldn't.

You have to realise that properties change with frequency

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
geoff writes:
In message , Peter
Scott writes
wrote:
On 26 Oct, Peter Scott wrote:

Yes, I believe satellite dish inside fibreglass chimney has been
done.

I'm not doubting what you say, but wouldn't that cause great
attentuation of the signal?
Not particularly. A lot of SHF dishes and other aerials are enclosed
in a
fibreglasss shroud. Less attennuating than a dishfull of snow!

Interesting. That's one of those facts to stow away. Bound to come in
useful one day. I suppose I was thinking that the tiny amounts of
energy coming from a TV satellite 40 000 km would be lost where the
larger amounts from radar wouldn't.

You have to realise that properties change with frequency

Reminds me of Ionica, who discovered that all the aerials they
put up through the Autumn and Winter stopped working in the spring
when the trees started growing new leaves.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andrew Gabriel
scribeth thus
In article ,
geoff writes:
In message , Peter
Scott writes
wrote:
On 26 Oct, Peter Scott wrote:

Yes, I believe satellite dish inside fibreglass chimney has been
done.

I'm not doubting what you say, but wouldn't that cause great
attentuation of the signal?
Not particularly. A lot of SHF dishes and other aerials are enclosed
in a
fibreglasss shroud. Less attennuating than a dishfull of snow!

Interesting. That's one of those facts to stow away. Bound to come in
useful one day. I suppose I was thinking that the tiny amounts of
energy coming from a TV satellite 40 000 km would be lost where the
larger amounts from radar wouldn't.

You have to realise that properties change with frequency

Reminds me of Ionica, who discovered that all the aerials they
put up through the Autumn and Winter stopped working in the spring
when the trees started growing new leaves.

And there are a lot of them in Cambridge where they we're based for a
start. Wonder why they didn't know or do something about that?..

Still their original business model was unsustainable anyway..
--
Tony Sayer