Matt

Default floating shelf

I have the need for a number of quick make shelves that look good for
holding light objects for display in teenager's rooms, and (they) want clean
looking floating shelves

here is my 2nd thought on making them

3/4 " stock, atleast 19" long, and 6" to 10" deep
drill or bore 1/4" holes quite deep.
use steel rods in the holes to give deep support
The holes would be set whatever distance apart the stud centres seem to be.

Questions:
does this seem reasonable?
how deep do you think the holes should be
- in the shelves ? 1/2 way through is what I'm thinking
- in the wall ? 2" into the stud
- use polyurethane glue on the rods in wall, nothing in the boards

I have a drill press, and a jig to hold a board on edge.
I would need to get a long bit.

Thanks in advance

Matt

I've seen this sort of thing done with torsion-box shelfs, never with
straight 1x stock. It might work, but I would be worried that those
"light objects" might get heavier than 1/4" of wood fibers could
support.

I'd probably sink some inserts into the studs and use short sections of
all-thread to hang the shelves; would be easier to remove when the teen
changes his/her mind.G

Dan

Melamine vs. plywood for sliding shelf bottoms mycroftt Woodworking 3 September 9th 04 10:28 PM
Shelf barry martin Home Repair 0 May 4th 04 07:10 PM
Neanderthal-style Shelf Installation (long) Patrick Olguin Woodworking 11 April 5th 04 03:39 AM
please help me modify this shelf Bob Woodworking 2 October 20th 03 04:13 PM
Question about possible 'floating neutral' donald girod Home Repair 1 June 30th 03 03:47 AM