Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Floating chimney. Am I seeing things?

geoff wrote:
In message , Peter
Scott writes
wrote:
On 26 Oct, Peter Scott wrote:

Yes, I believe satellite dish inside fibreglass chimney has been done.

I'm not doubting what you say, but wouldn't that cause great
attentuation of the signal?
Not particularly. A lot of SHF dishes and other aerials are enclosed
in a
fibreglasss shroud. Less attennuating than a dishfull of snow!

Interesting. That's one of those facts to stow away. Bound to come in
useful one day. I suppose I was thinking that the tiny amounts of
energy coming from a TV satellite 40 000 km would be lost where the
larger amounts from radar wouldn't.

You have to realise that properties change with frequency

The transmit pulse of radar is relatively strong; the echo can be
exceedingly weak. Its range and effectiveness depend inter alia on the
system's sensitivity to receiving (and interpreting) that echo.

--
Rod

onset.