Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Floating chimney. Am I seeing things?

In article ,
Peter Scott writes:
A house is being built on my route home. The chimney just went on. The
chimney sits on the roof - two pots and it looks like brick. But there's
nothing underneath. I nearly crashed into the grass verge trying to make
out whether I was seeing things. But no - just empty space. No brick
stack going down to the ground. The brickwork is sitting on the ridge.
Is it just me not looking carefully enough before, or is this a new
idea? Not sure I'd like to be underneath in a high wind.

Yes, I saw several of these going up about 3 years ago.
Fortunately I was walking past at the time, not driving;-)
I can't recall exact details, but the roof was only the timber
A-frames, and there were a row of brick chimneys pirched
along the apex, with nothing underneath. I think they were
setting on what was presumably a steel plate sitting on the
rafters. I didn't see any of the stacks being built, and it
could be they were just cardboard boxes with brick faces
glued on.

--
Andrew Gabriel