Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Central Heating Inhibitor

Currently got some Sentinel X400 (sludge remover) in my system. Will be
draining down and re-filling shortly and looking at the difference types of
inhibitor. Our house 13 rads, looks like 1 litre of Sentinel X100 will
protect upto 10 rads. Screwfix have some no-nonsense CH inhibitor (£8
versus £13 for the Sentinel brand). As I need 2 litres I was thinking of
getting the No-nonsense brand. Has anyone used this stuff? Is it worth
spending the extra £10 and getting 2 litres of Sentinel?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Slider wrote:
Currently got some Sentinel X400 (sludge remover) in my system. Will be
draining down and re-filling shortly and looking at the difference types of
inhibitor. Our house 13 rads, looks like 1 litre of Sentinel X100 will
protect upto 10 rads. Screwfix have some no-nonsense CH inhibitor (�8
versus �13 for the Sentinel brand). As I need 2 litres I was thinking of
getting the No-nonsense brand. Has anyone used this stuff? Is it worth
spending the extra �10 and getting 2 litres of Sentinel?

Have a look he

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Inhibitor

(I didn't use Fernox, but can't remember what I did use - it appears to
have worked OK. But if/when I need to do it again, I shall be looking at
those results before choosing.)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Oct, 15:03, Rod wrote:
Slider wrote:
Currently got some Sentinel X400 (sludge remover) in my system. *Will be
draining down and re-filling shortly and looking at the difference types of
inhibitor. *Our house 13 rads, looks like 1 litre of Sentinel X100 will
protect upto 10 rads. *Screwfix have some no-nonsense CH inhibitor ( 8
versus 13 for the Sentinel brand). *As I need 2 litres I was thinking of
getting the No-nonsense brand. *Has anyone used this stuff? *Is it worth
spending the extra 10 and getting 2 litres of Sentinel?

Have a look he

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Inhibitor

(I didn't use Fernox, but can't remember what I did use - it appears to
have worked OK. But if/when I need to do it again, I shall be looking at
those results before choosing.)

--
Rod

onset.

Last year I used Fenox - the stuff you inject into the Radiator -
worked for me!

kev
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On 2 Oct, 15:03, Rod wrote:
Slider wrote:
[...]

How do you know?
Maybe you can come back in another 19 years or so and let us know?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Slider wrote:
Currently got some Sentinel X400 (sludge remover) in my system. Will be
draining down and re-filling shortly and looking at the difference
types of inhibitor. Our house 13 rads, looks like 1 litre of Sentinel
X100 will protect upto 10 rads. Screwfix have some no-nonsense CH
inhibitor (£8 versus £13 for the Sentinel brand). As I need 2 litres I
was thinking of getting the No-nonsense brand. Has anyone used this
stuff? Is it worth spending the extra £10 and getting 2 litres of
Sentinel?

I've recently changed the boiler on my 25+ year old system which has used
Fernox inhibitor all its life - changed at approx 5 year intervals. And
the water that drained out was pretty clear - no sign of the black gunge
others talk about. Of course a cheaper one may have worked as well - but
I'm not inclined to take the risk.

--
*A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 17:53:19 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I've recently changed the boiler on my 25+ year old system which has
used Fernox inhibitor all its life - changed at approx 5 year intervals.
And the water that drained out was pretty clear - no sign of the black
gunge others talk about. Of course a cheaper one may have worked as well
- but I'm not inclined to take the risk.

Bet you'd still have got some squid ink out of the bottoms of your rads!

--
John Stumbles

Testiculate [v.t]
To wave one's arms around while talking ********.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Stumbles wrote:
I've recently changed the boiler on my 25+ year old system which has
used Fernox inhibitor all its life - changed at approx 5 year
intervals. And the water that drained out was pretty clear - no sign
of the black gunge others talk about. Of course a cheaper one may have
worked as well - but I'm not inclined to take the risk.

Bet you'd still have got some squid ink out of the bottoms of your rads!

Yes - I re-sited one rad at the same time and there was some black water
at the bottom.

--
*What happens if you get scared half to death twice? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
PM PM is offline

Slider wrote:
Currently got some Sentinel X400 (sludge remover) in my system. Will
be draining down and re-filling shortly and looking at the difference
types of inhibitor. Our house 13 rads, looks like 1 litre of
Sentinel X100 will protect upto 10 rads. Screwfix have some
no-nonsense CH inhibitor (£8 versus £13 for the Sentinel brand). As
I need 2 litres I was thinking of getting the No-nonsense brand. Has
anyone used this stuff? Is it worth spending the extra £10 and
getting 2 litres of Sentinel?

I used the Purimachos inhibitor once. I wouldn't use it again if it was a
tenth of the price of Sentinel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PM" wrote in message
Slider wrote:
Currently got some Sentinel X400 (sludge remover) in my system. Will
be draining down and re-filling shortly and looking at the difference
types of inhibitor. Our house 13 rads, looks like 1 litre of
Sentinel X100 will protect upto 10 rads. Screwfix have some
no-nonsense CH inhibitor (£8 versus £13 for the Sentinel brand). As
I need 2 litres I was thinking of getting the No-nonsense brand. Has
anyone used this stuff? Is it worth spending the extra £10 and
getting 2 litres of Sentinel?

I used the Purimachos inhibitor once. I wouldn't use it again if it was a
tenth of the price of Sentinel.

i bought 2 litres of Sentinel X100 in the end. Flushed it out and refilled
yesterday.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 14:15:39 +0100, PM wrote:

I used the Purimachos inhibitor once. I wouldn't use it again if it was
a tenth of the price of Sentinel.

Nothing is as good as Purimachos inhibitor ;-)

--
John Stumbles

I forgot to take my amnesia medecine again