Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default door frame "wedges"

Hi,

I think I have seen plastic wedges you can buy to fit behind door
frames to make them plumb. What are they called so that I might buy
some?

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Stephen wrote:
I think I have seen plastic wedges you can buy to fit behind door
frames to make them plumb. What are they called so that I might buy
some?

A cheap source for lots of wedges is a laminate floor fitting kit.

--
*OK, who stopped payment on my reality check?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:
Hi,

I think I have seen plastic wedges you can buy to fit behind door
frames to make them plumb. What are they called so that I might buy
some?

Thanks,
Stephen.

Stephen,

It's far better to cut these 'wedges' yourself out of 'scrap' pieces of
frame etc.

As a matter of interest, you really should you folding wedges from both
edged of the frame to maintain an even surface to nail/screw through.

If you are unsure of what these are, google for -- folding wedges -- but if
you are having problems with this, let me know and I will post a link to a
sketch of them.

Tanner-'op

Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://www.screwfix.com/prods/35600...stic-Shims-100

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:

I think I have seen plastic wedges you can buy to fit behind door
frames to make them plumb. What are they called so that I might buy
some?

These things?
http://www.toolstation.com/index.html?code=46640

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Stephen wrote:
Hi,

I think I have seen plastic wedges you can buy to fit behind door
frames to make them plumb. What are they called so that I might buy
some?

https://www.screwfix.com/prods/35600...stic-Shims-100

Dave,

Bloody expensive items when all you need is a bit of wood and saw to make
your own (and you as a power-tool freak can even use a circular saw to make
'em) - and absolutely useless when the opening is far bigger than frame!

Tanner-'op

--
Who has no need for subliminal advertising in his signature

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tanner-'op wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Stephen wrote:
Hi,

I think I have seen plastic wedges you can buy to fit behind door
frames to make them plumb. What are they called so that I might buy
some?

https://www.screwfix.com/prods/35600...stic-Shims-100

Dave,

Bloody expensive items when all you need is a bit of wood and saw to
make your own (and you as a power-tool freak can even use a circular
saw to make 'em) - and absolutely useless when the opening is far
bigger than frame!
Tanner-'op

You miss the point matey. The SF ones are slotted so they drop over the
fixing and stay in place whatever you are doing - and you can stack them, so
if you had a 23mm gap you could use 3x6 & 1x5 and get things exactly right.

Expensive? At 6p each? Compared to the cost of fitting a door?

Price & cost are two very different things.

Wake up & smell the coffee!

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 21:50:40 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Tanner-'op wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Stephen wrote:
Hi,

I think I have seen plastic wedges you can buy to fit behind door
frames to make them plumb. What are they called so that I might buy
some?
https://www.screwfix.com/prods/35600...stic-Shims-100

Dave,

Bloody expensive items when all you need is a bit of wood and saw to
make your own (and you as a power-tool freak can even use a circular
saw to make 'em) - and absolutely useless when the opening is far
bigger than frame!
Tanner-'op

You miss the point matey. The SF ones are slotted so they drop over the
fixing and stay in place whatever you are doing - and you can stack them, so
if you had a 23mm gap you could use 3x6 & 1x5 and get things exactly right.

Wow!

A wooden wedge would give you total control, as a real craftsman, over
any adjustments, Imperial (preferably) or metric

Who realistically wants their house to be held together by bits of
metrically specced kit?

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Tanner-'op wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Stephen wrote:
[...]

It wouldn't give you anything like total control. It would fall out if you
backed off the fixing. And can't be adjusted if its too small or too big.

Wooden wedges are a bodge compared to plastic ones.

I use as standard a 5mm & 3mm plastic spacer tied together when installing
deck boards. The gap isn't approximately 8mm its bloody well exactly 8mm
all along. Which also means that I can adjust the gap to 6mm, 7mm, 9mm 10mm
etc depending on the weather conditions & moisture content of the boards.

Who realistically wants their house to be held together by bits of
metrically specced kit?

The French?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Tanner-'op wrote:

https://www.screwfix.com/prods/35600...Fixings/Plasti....

Dave,

Bloody expensive items when all you need is a bit of wood and saw to
make your own (and you as a power-tool freak can even use a circular
saw to make 'em) - and absolutely useless when the opening is far
bigger than frame!
Tanner-'op

You miss the point matey. *The SF ones are slotted so they drop over the
fixing and stay in place whatever you are doing - and you can stack them, so
if you had a 23mm gap you could use 3x6 & 1x5 and get things exactly right.

Wow!

A wooden wedge would give you total control, as a real craftsman, over
any adjustments, Imperial (preferably) or metric

Folding wedges are the right thing to use, but one of their advantages
is not being bound to either scale. Nothing against plastic packers,
but folding wedges are much the better option for this application.

Who realistically wants their house to be held together by bits *of
metrically specced kit?

Those of who don't live in dinosaur houses?
--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
A wooden wedge would give you total control, as a real craftsman, over
any adjustments, Imperial (preferably) or metric

It wouldn't give you anything like total control. It would fall out if
you backed off the fixing. And can't be adjusted if its too small or
too big.

You use two - one from either side - which gives infinite adjustment up to
the maximum of the wedge.

--
*Could it be that "I do " is the longest sentence? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Tanner-'op wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Stephen wrote:

[...]

Well, the best way to use wooden wedges behind a door frame is to use
them in pairs, back to back which means that the outer edges of the
pairs are parallel to each other and the door frame/wall, so they're
very stable and accurate.

______
|\ \ |
| \ \ |
| \ \ |
Frame | \ \ | Wall
| \ \ |
|_____\ \|

That said, I frequently use the plastic ones myself as well, normally to
save time or because I don't have any spare bits of packing to hand.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thank you everyone for your replies. Both links provided were the
items I was looking for. I didn't know they existed until I recently
saw someone walking out of Screwfix with a bag! I was being lazy and
thinking ready made ones would be faster to use but if I add in the
time to drive to the trade counter and back, then hand made is
probably quicker overall so I try and make some and if that fails, buy
some! Thanks again.

Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Tanner-'op wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Stephen wrote:
Hi,

I think I have seen plastic wedges you can buy to fit behind door
frames to make them plumb. What are they called so that I might buy
some?
https://www.screwfix.com/prods/35600...stic-Shims-100

Dave,

Bloody expensive items when all you need is a bit of wood and saw to
make your own (and you as a power-tool freak can even use a circular
saw to make 'em) - and absolutely useless when the opening is far
bigger than frame!
Tanner-'op

You miss the point matey. The SF ones are slotted so they drop over
the fixing and stay in place whatever you are doing - and you can
stack them, so if you had a 23mm gap you could use 3x6 & 1x5 and get
things exactly right.

Not a "matey" of yours Dave, and never will be!

Just shows how much you really know Dave! That three months of research you
allegedly did before you started that franchise of yours didn't teach you a
lot. ;-)

Self made folding wedges as used on a door frame can be made to any size,
and when pushed in behind the frame, are naturally self-holding and allow
infinitely small adjustments when straightening or plumbing the frame using
a plumb rule - oh, and you only use two wedges for any size gap (which give
a steady and solid bearing) and you don't need a pre-intalled fixing to hold
them in place, you just put the wedges in where they are needed and then fix
the frame.

Expensive? At 6p each? Compared to the cost of fitting a door?

Self made wedges - free using off-cuts of timber [1] - and a full set for a
door frame will take minutes to make even when cutting them with a
hand-saw - and you don't need to measure the gap before fitting them.

Price & cost are two very different things.

Erm, in my dictionary (yes I have several of those things in hardback copies
to hand, plus access to a plethora of them on t'net) - they both mean the
same thing, try looking them up!

Wake up & smell the coffee!

Can't stand the stuff Dave - all that caffeine addles the brains. Prehaps
you should take up tea drinking, that may help *YOUR* thoughts?

Never mind, it must be galling when you consider yourself to be a
professional (Ha!) but have to ask so many questions in a D-i-Y group.

Ah, I forgot. you *are* just a handyman though.

[1] Can be cut back at the workshop when you are not busy and stored
ready for use, and one size fits all for most jobs (on door and window
frames that is) - with the added bonus that they can be used for a multitude
of other purposes when "caught out" or in an emergency.

Something a flimsy plastic peg cannot do!

Tanner-'op

--
Who has no need for subliminal advertising in his signature

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Tanner-'op wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Stephen wrote:
[...]

Ever heard of a folding wedge Dave? I doubt it with your lack of technical
knowledge!

Wooden wedges are a bodge compared to plastic ones.

Funny that, all the *professional* chippies I know wouldn't use the things
for fitting door frames - far too fiddly and unreliable to use.

I use as standard a 5mm & 3mm plastic spacer tied together when
installing deck boards. The gap isn't approximately 8mm its bloody
well exactly 8mm all along. Which also means that I can adjust the
gap to 6mm, 7mm, 9mm 10mm etc depending on the weather conditions &
moisture content of the boards.

Again - *FOLDING* *WEDGES* Dave - those things can hold collapsing buildings
up and give a great accuracy in use, unlike plastic wedges.

Who realistically wants their house to be held together by bits of
metrically specced kit?

The French?

Ah! That's where you did your research for that little franchise of yours -
France. Now that explains a lot!

Tanner-'op

--
Who has no need for subliminal advertising in his signature

Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

"Tanner-'op" wrote:

Price & cost are two very different things.

Erm, in my dictionary (yes I have several of those things in hardback copies
to hand, plus access to a plethora of them on t'net) - they both mean the
same thing, try looking them up!

What an ignorant little person you are.

Wake up & smell the coffee!

Can't stand the stuff Dave - all that caffeine addles the brains. Prehaps
you should take up tea drinking, that may help *YOUR* thoughts?

Never mind, it must be galling when you consider yourself to be a
professional (Ha!) but have to ask so many questions in a D-i-Y group.

Ah, I forgot. you *are* just a handyman though.

What an ignorant unpleasant person you are.

--
Frank Lee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tanner-'op" wrote in message

[1] Can be cut back at the workshop when you are not busy and stored
ready for use, and one size fits all for most jobs (on door and window
frames that is) - with the added bonus that they can be used for a
multitude of other purposes when "caught out" or in an emergency.

One size fits all?.. not a chance.
If you are making them two foot long and only 3 mm thick maybe.
If you try and fill a small gap with them you only get support on the edges
and then you can't get a secure fixing.
You need several thicknesses to do the job properly.
You obviously lack experience using them.

Something a flimsy plastic peg cannot do!

Try it and see.
Almost any tough plastic can make a packing piece.
I have used Formica plastic off cuts in the past.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"Tanner-'op" wrote in message

[1] Can be cut back at the workshop when you are not busy and
stored ready for use, and one size fits all for most jobs (on door
and window frames that is) - with the added bonus that they can be
used for a multitude of other purposes when "caught out" or in an
emergency.

One size fits all?.. not a chance.
If you are making them two foot long and only 3 mm thick maybe.
If you try and fill a small gap with them you only get support on the
edges and then you can't get a secure fixing.
You need several thicknesses to do the job properly.
You obviously lack experience using them.

Dennis,

45 years as an apprenticed trained carpenter (including a 5 years
apprenticeship) with City and Guilds qualifications - along with
qualifications that allow me membership of the Incorporated British
Institute of 'Certified' Carpenters (and a few more in-between) - and I have
fitted more door frames of various types than I can remember (and one size
of folding wedge will generally do all [unless the brickies have f****ed up
of course, or you are fixing to something like a 'No-Fine' building - if you
are not sure what that is, Google the term]) and with most of my working
life in building maintenance - private and public (with some 20 odd years as
a general foreman before retirement) - and door frame fitting is the
subject of this thread is it not?

Is that enough experience for you?

Something a flimsy plastic peg cannot do!

Try it and see.
Almost any tough plastic can make a packing piece.
I have used Formica plastic off cuts in the past.

I have used almost every building material for "packing" pieces (including
'plums' in concrete to make it go further) and I must admit that a
'fag-packet' has been most useful on many occasions (even though I'm an
ardent anti-smoker) - but as usual, it's horses for courses is it not?

All the best

Tanner-'op

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tanner-'op wrote:
wrote:

Tanner-'op wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Stephen wrote:
[...]

I'm fully aware of what a folding wedge or fox wedge is thank you - old
fashioned technology. My lack of technical knowledge? Thats rich coming
from someone stuck in the past like you are.

We don't use Yankee screwdrivers anymore, we use drill drivers. The
Ralwtool has been replaced. Pozidrive screws have been invented. Gripfill,
push fit plumbing, hard point saws, mobile phones, credit cards etc - the
world has changed since you were a lad.

Wooden wedges are a bodge compared to plastic ones.

Funny that, all the *professional* chippies I know wouldn't use the
things for fitting door frames - far too fiddly and unreliable to use.

Fiddly? You are having a laugh. The *professional* chippies you know must
all be stuck in a 1950's time warp like you are. Probably not bright enough
to appeciate modern technology.

The entire point of plastic packers is that they hang over the frame fixing
and don't fall off. You can add or remove them in 1mm increments

Again - *FOLDING* *WEDGES* Dave - those things can hold collapsing
buildings up and give a great accuracy in use, unlike plastic wedges.

Complete bollox.

So, two opposing wedges of completely unknown dimensions, tapped together to
give yet another unknown dimension are more accurate than a plastic wedge
with a tolerance of +/- .005mm?

Catch up matey. These days window & door frames are fixed using frame
fixings, not wooden wedges hammered into the gaps between bricks & clout
nails. Frame fixings give a stronger fix. They can be screwed in or out to
adjust the frame.

Try that with folding wedges & every time you back off a fixing the folding
wedge will fall out - a plastic packer won't & you can add another 1mm which
won't fall out either.

Who realistically wants their house to be held together by bits of
metrically specced kit?

The French?

Ah! That's where you did your research for that little franchise of
yours - France. Now that explains a lot!

First of all its not a franchise, its entirely mine from the ground up. I
may franchise the concept in the future.

The research wasn't into methods of doing the job, that's relatively simple
to someone of average intelligence who has renovated several houses. The
research was into marketing the concept and developing a brand - which has
been hugely successful.

And that's why I'm still booked up for weeks ahead at top money whilst many
*experienced* tradesmen are crying in their beer about lack of work.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tanner-'op wrote:

I think I have seen plastic wedges you can buy to fit behind door
frames to make them plumb. What are they called so that I might
buy some?
https://www.screwfix.com/prods/35600...stic-Shims-100

Dave,

Bloody expensive items when all you need is a bit of wood and saw to
make your own (and you as a power-tool freak can even use a circular
saw to make 'em) - and absolutely useless when the opening is far
bigger than frame!
Tanner-'op

You miss the point matey. The SF ones are slotted so they drop over
the fixing and stay in place whatever you are doing - and you can
stack them, so if you had a 23mm gap you could use 3x6 & 1x5 and get
things exactly right.

Not a "matey" of yours Dave, and never will be!

Thank heavens for that.

Just shows how much you really know Dave! That three months of
research you allegedly did before you started that franchise of yours
didn't teach you a lot. ;-)

Not a franchise.

Expensive? At 6p each? Compared to the cost of fitting a door?

Self made wedges - free using off-cuts of timber [1] - and a full set
for a door frame will take minutes to make even when cutting them
with a hand-saw - and you don't need to measure the gap before fitting
them.

6p each compared to fitting a £200 door + labour? Do the maths for heaven
sake.

Price & cost are two very different things.

Erm, in my dictionary (yes I have several of those things in hardback
copies to hand, plus access to a plethora of them on t'net) - they
both mean the same thing, try looking them up!

Errm - no they don't. Price & cost are entirely different things. 'Cost'
is the important thing here.

Wake up & smell the coffee!

Can't stand the stuff Dave - all that caffeine addles the brains. Prehaps
you should take up tea drinking, that may help *YOUR*
thoughts?

My thoughts must be perfect then. I don't drink coffe, only tea.

Never mind, it must be galling when you consider yourself to be a
professional (Ha!) but have to ask so many questions in a D-i-Y group.

Ah, I forgot. you *are* just a handyman though.

'Just' a handyman who runs an incredibly successful business, something you
have perhaps dreamed of in the past? That could explain your jealousy?

[1] Can be cut back at the workshop when you are not busy and
stored ready for use, and one size fits all for most jobs (on door
and window frames that is) - with the added bonus that they can be
used for a multitude of other purposes when "caught out" or in an
emergency.

Alas Tanner, I'm never 'not busy'. I don't have the time to bugger about
making wedges in the workshop because I don't have any paid work.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tanner-'op" wrote in message
dennis@home wrote:
"Tanner-'op" wrote in message

[...]

They are just a couple of wedges pointy side in, they are nothing new and
you don't need to be shown what they are to work it out for yourself.

Its also easy to see that if your wedges are too thick to fit in the gap
before they reach the other side that they will only support the very edge.
So one size will never do all for most people.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...

Erm, in my dictionary (yes I have several of those things in hardback
copies to hand, plus access to a plethora of them on t'net) - they
both mean the same thing, try looking them up!

Errm - no they don't. Price & cost are entirely different things. 'Cost'
is the important thing here.

Price to the seller, cost to the buyer, same thing, it just depends on if
you are supplying or consuming.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message om...

Erm, in my dictionary (yes I have several of those things in
hardback copies to hand, plus access to a plethora of them on
t'net) - they both mean the same thing, try looking them up!

Errm - no they don't. Price & cost are entirely different things. 'Cost'
is the important thing here.

Price to the seller, cost to the buyer, same thing, it just depends
on if you are supplying or consuming.

Not at all Dennis. Price is simply what you have to pay for an item. Cost
is the overall picture.

For example, take two methods of joining timbers in the frame for a deck;

The 'price' of 100 BZP M6 x 90mm Coach Screws is £2.91.

The 'price' of 100 Turbo Coach Screws M6 x 90mm is £3.88.

The 'cost' involved in using the 25% cheaper product is much higher because
I would have to drill pilot holes and they take longer to drive in. The
overall cost is lower because modern technology reduces the time & labour
element.

'One coat' paints and flexible tap connectors are other examples. They sell
for a higher price but cost less overall.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk