Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster Lobster is offline

Default door frame "wedges"

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Frank Erskine wrote:
On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 21:50:40 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Tanner-'op wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Stephen wrote:

I think I have seen plastic wedges you can buy to fit behind door
frames to make them plumb. What are they called so that I might
buy some?
https://www.screwfix.com/prods/35600...stic-Shims-100

Bloody expensive items when all you need is a bit of wood and saw to
make your own (and you as a power-tool freak can even use a circular
saw to make 'em) - and absolutely useless when the opening is far
bigger than frame!

You miss the point matey. The SF ones are slotted so they drop over
the fixing and stay in place whatever you are doing - and you can
stack them, so if you had a 23mm gap you could use 3x6 & 1x5 and get
things exactly right.

A wooden wedge would give you total control, as a real craftsman, over any
adjustments, Imperial (preferably) or metric

It wouldn't give you anything like total control. It would fall out if you
backed off the fixing. And can't be adjusted if its too small or too big.

Wooden wedges are a bodge compared to plastic ones.

Well, the best way to use wooden wedges behind a door frame is to use
them in pairs, back to back which means that the outer edges of the
pairs are parallel to each other and the door frame/wall, so they're
very stable and accurate.

______
|\ \ |
| \ \ |
| \ \ |
Frame | \ \ | Wall
| \ \ |

That said, I frequently use the plastic ones myself as well, normally to
save time or because I don't have any spare bits of packing to hand.

David