Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default door frame "wedges"

Tanner-'op wrote:

I think I have seen plastic wedges you can buy to fit behind door
frames to make them plumb. What are they called so that I might
buy some?
https://www.screwfix.com/prods/35600...stic-Shims-100

Dave,

Bloody expensive items when all you need is a bit of wood and saw to
make your own (and you as a power-tool freak can even use a circular
saw to make 'em) - and absolutely useless when the opening is far
bigger than frame!
Tanner-'op

You miss the point matey. The SF ones are slotted so they drop over
the fixing and stay in place whatever you are doing - and you can
stack them, so if you had a 23mm gap you could use 3x6 & 1x5 and get
things exactly right.

Not a "matey" of yours Dave, and never will be!

Thank heavens for that.

Just shows how much you really know Dave! That three months of
research you allegedly did before you started that franchise of yours
didn't teach you a lot. ;-)

Not a franchise.

Expensive? At 6p each? Compared to the cost of fitting a door?

Self made wedges - free using off-cuts of timber [1] - and a full set
for a door frame will take minutes to make even when cutting them
with a hand-saw - and you don't need to measure the gap before fitting
them.

6p each compared to fitting a £200 door + labour? Do the maths for heaven
sake.

Price & cost are two very different things.

Erm, in my dictionary (yes I have several of those things in hardback
copies to hand, plus access to a plethora of them on t'net) - they
both mean the same thing, try looking them up!

Errm - no they don't. Price & cost are entirely different things. 'Cost'
is the important thing here.

Wake up & smell the coffee!

Can't stand the stuff Dave - all that caffeine addles the brains. Prehaps
you should take up tea drinking, that may help *YOUR*
thoughts?

My thoughts must be perfect then. I don't drink coffe, only tea.

Never mind, it must be galling when you consider yourself to be a
professional (Ha!) but have to ask so many questions in a D-i-Y group.

Ah, I forgot. you *are* just a handyman though.

'Just' a handyman who runs an incredibly successful business, something you
have perhaps dreamed of in the past? That could explain your jealousy?

[1] Can be cut back at the workshop when you are not busy and
stored ready for use, and one size fits all for most jobs (on door
and window frames that is) - with the added bonus that they can be
used for a multitude of other purposes when "caught out" or in an
emergency.

Alas Tanner, I'm never 'not busy'. I don't have the time to bugger about
making wedges in the workshop because I don't have any paid work.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk