Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Timbers for external use

Hi all.
Can most any timber be used for weather exposed situations
providing it is well treated with preservatives?
And also, that it is of a heavy enough section?
eg, timber panelling from 6mm ply is a bad choice?

Thanks.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur2 wrote:
Hi all.
Can most any timber be used for weather exposed situations
providing it is well treated with preservatives?

And also, that it is of a heavy enough section?
eg, timber panelling from 6mm ply is a bad choice?

What's the application?
Anywhere where water sits for long periods will rot regardless, which is
why fence posts rot before panels, even though they're many times thicker.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"stuart noble" wrote in message
Arthur2 wrote:
Hi all.
Can most any timber be used for weather exposed situations
providing it is well treated with preservatives?

And also, that it is of a heavy enough section?
eg, timber panelling from 6mm ply is a bad choice?

What's the application?
Anywhere where water sits for long periods will rot regardless, which is
why fence posts rot before panels, even though they're many times thicker.

Panels in lower half of sidelights for front door frame.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur2 wrote:
Hi all.
Can most any timber be used for weather exposed situations
providing it is well treated with preservatives?
And also, that it is of a heavy enough section?
eg, timber panelling from 6mm ply is a bad choice?

What's the application?
Anywhere where water sits for long periods will rot regardless, which is
why fence posts rot before panels, even though they're many times thicker.

Panels in lower half of sidelights for front door frame.

Arthur

I've seen t&g used for that sort of thing but, whatever the finish, it
always rots at the bottom, especially if it faces the prevailing weather
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Can most any timber be used for weather exposed situations
providing it is well treated with preservatives?

This is something I have been wondering as well.
The barge board on my sisters 12 year old extension is completely
rotted away.
The woodwork on our 100 year old house is slightly rotted in some
exposed places.
Teak never seems to rot.
When you pick up a piece of wood, how do you know how resistant to rot
it is?

I don't know the answer but I would never use kiln dried wood outside
however much preservative was applied to it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rednadnerb wrote:
Can most any timber be used for weather exposed situations
providing it is well treated with preservatives?

This is something I have been wondering as well.
The barge board on my sisters 12 year old extension is completely
rotted away.
The woodwork on our 100 year old house is slightly rotted in some
exposed places.
Teak never seems to rot.
When you pick up a piece of wood, how do you know how resistant to rot
it is?

I think there is a section about this on the Wiki thingy?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 19:21:57 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Rednadnerb wrote:
Can most any timber be used for weather exposed situations
providing it is well treated with preservatives?

This is something I have been wondering as well.
The barge board on my sisters 12 year old extension is completely
rotted away.
The woodwork on our 100 year old house is slightly rotted in some
exposed places.
Teak never seems to rot.
When you pick up a piece of wood, how do you know how resistant to rot
it is?

I think there is a section about this on the Wiki thingy?

There was this informative post recently:

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-...a8cb23c4fc9db6
http://tinyurl.com/6lle6m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur2 wrote:
Hi all.
Can most any timber be used for weather exposed situations
providing it is well treated with preservatives?
And also, that it is of a heavy enough section?
eg, timber panelling from 6mm ply is a bad choice?

What's the application?
Anywhere where water sits for long periods will rot regardless, which is
why fence posts rot before panels, even though they're many times
thicker.

Panels in lower half of sidelights for front door frame.

Arthur

I've seen t&g used for that sort of thing but, whatever the finish, it
always rots at the bottom, especially if it faces the prevailing weather

the prevailing weather has been kickin the crap out of my front door since I
moved here
more than 17 years ago. The door looks like **** but while the paint on the
frame is kaput,
the frame is solid. And thats despite the frame verticals extending down to
the door step.
The paint is several layers deep. What preservatives did they use in days
of yore (30/40/50 years ago) ?

Arthuir

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 12:55:51 +0100, Arthur2 wrote:

Panels in lower half of sidelights for front door frame.

How big are the appatures? 6mm ply won't stand a kick and could prove to
be an easy means of entry...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 12:55:51 +0100, Arthur2 wrote:

Panels in lower half of sidelights for front door frame.

How big are the appatures? 6mm ply won't stand a kick and could prove
to be an easy means of entry...

Good point.

I was watching one of those 'how easy is it to burgle your home' shows a
while ago, where they had an ex burgular showing how easy it was.

Back door to the house had all the correct locks etc. Half glazed door,
bottom panel was plywood, a couple of kicks & it was wrecked.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 12:55:51 +0100, Arthur2 wrote:

Panels in lower half of sidelights for front door frame.

How big are the appatures? 6mm ply won't stand a kick and could prove to
be an easy means of entry...

I was only mentioning 6mm ply as an example of what not to use in a round
about way.
I will use timbers of at least 18mm thickness.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Aug, 12:09, "Arthur2" wrote:
Hi all.
Can most any timber be used for weather exposed situations
providing it is well treated with preservatives?
And also, that it is of a heavy enough section?
eg, timber panelling from 6mm ply is a bad choice?

Thanks.

Arthur

Dear Athur
Answers to your questions

1) No
Supplementary point - treatment with preservatives is a complex
subject and the only treatment that will out live you would be
tanalith and that is unlikely to be suiable or your door panel so your
best bet is to choose the correct species and type of timber AND the
supplemaentary treatment process which also will involve surface
coatings
2) No
3) yes - a bad choice

Piers has kindly helped by posting my last effort on the subject -
which after you have read it - feel free to come back to me with some
more specific suggestions involving species, proposed treatment and
surface treatment - I can commment
Chris G
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Aug, 12:09, "Arthur2" wrote:

Can most any timber be used for weather exposed situations
providing it is well treated with preservatives?

Timber species that don't need applied preservatives will generally
outlive those that had preservatives applied.

As a good starter, larch is cheap and long-lived. For any more detail,
tell us what the application is.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On 3 Aug, 12:09, "Arthur2" wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Chris.
The door frame has red hardwood verticals from a timber yard
http://www.beersltd.co.uk/view_produ...?code=MW000250
And I am using mahogany for the horizontal pieces.
(This is my ship and I'll sail it any way I want)
The panels for the lower half of the sidelights 260mm x 1100mm,
will be mahogany...probably joining two 150mm wide boards of 20 - 25mm
thickness.

I hope thats easy to follow.

Thanks again.

Arthur