Posted to uk.d-i-y
Arthur2 Arthur2 is offline

Default Timbers for external use

wrote in message
On 3 Aug, 12:09, "Arthur2" wrote:
Hi all.
Can most any timber be used for weather exposed situations
providing it is well treated with preservatives?
And also, that it is of a heavy enough section?
eg, timber panelling from 6mm ply is a bad choice?

Thanks.

Arthur

Dear Athur
Answers to your questions

1) No
Supplementary point - treatment with preservatives is a complex
subject and the only treatment that will out live you would be
tanalith and that is unlikely to be suiable or your door panel so your
best bet is to choose the correct species and type of timber AND the
supplemaentary treatment process which also will involve surface
coatings
2) No
3) yes - a bad choice

Piers has kindly helped by posting my last effort on the subject -
which after you have read it - feel free to come back to me with some
more specific suggestions involving species, proposed treatment and
surface treatment - I can commment
Chris G

Thanks, Chris.
The door frame has red hardwood verticals from a timber yard
http://www.beersltd.co.uk/view_produ...?code=MW000250
And I am using mahogany for the horizontal pieces.
(This is my ship and I'll sail it any way I want)
The panels for the lower half of the sidelights 260mm x 1100mm,
will be mahogany...probably joining two 150mm wide boards of 20 - 25mm
thickness.

I hope thats easy to follow.

Thanks again.

Arthur