Posted to uk.d-i-y
Piers Finlayson Piers Finlayson is offline

Default Timbers for external use

On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 19:21:57 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Rednadnerb wrote:
Can most any timber be used for weather exposed situations
providing it is well treated with preservatives?

This is something I have been wondering as well.
The barge board on my sisters 12 year old extension is completely
rotted away.
The woodwork on our 100 year old house is slightly rotted in some
exposed places.
Teak never seems to rot.
When you pick up a piece of wood, how do you know how resistant to rot
it is?

I think there is a section about this on the Wiki thingy?

There was this informative post recently:

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-...a8cb23c4fc9db6
http://tinyurl.com/6lle6m