NikV

Default Installing gas cooker/oven in fitted kitchen

Currently we have an electric fan oven installed as a unit in our kitchen
with a gas hob in the work surface. I would like to replace it with a gas
oven but at the moment we have the waste and hot water supply for a
dishwasher running under the oven(in the plinth, behind the kick board).
Does anyone know of a gas oven that will replace an electric one in this
situation or a posssible solution to routing the waste / hot water from the
dishwasher. Floors are solid (screed over ???)

NikV

BigWallop

"NikV" wrote in message
Currently we have an electric fan oven installed as a unit in our kitchen
with a gas hob in the work surface. I would like to replace it with a gas
oven but at the moment we have the waste and hot water supply for a
dishwasher running under the oven(in the plinth, behind the kick board).
Does anyone know of a gas oven that will replace an electric one in this
situation or a posssible solution to routing the waste / hot water from

the
dishwasher. Floors are solid (screed over ???)

NikV

Do you mean that you'd like to replace the whole existing installation with
a free standing stove ? Or are you looking for a built-in gas oven ?

A web search for built-in gas ovens should produce a good few hits, but a
free standing stove is much easier to install in your situation. I take it
that the waste pipe is no bigger than 32 mm (1.5 inches) in diameter. If
the supply pipe to dishwasher is placed in front of the waste pipe, with
both being as close to the floor as possible, then a free standing stove
should actually have enough ground clearance to be able to fit over them.

If you wander around the shops with a tape measure and take notes of the
heights of the stoves compared to you worktops, then it should give you an
idea of what sort of modifictions need done to the pipework to take it below
the new stove, and to the floor to lift your stove to the height of your
work surfaces.

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Suz

"NikV" wrote in message
Currently we have an electric fan oven installed as a unit in our kitchen
with a gas hob in the work surface. I would like to replace it with a gas
oven but at the moment we have the waste and hot water supply for a
dishwasher running under the oven(in the plinth, behind the kick board).
Does anyone know of a gas oven that will replace an electric one in this
situation or a posssible solution to routing the waste / hot water from

the
dishwasher. Floors are solid (screed over ???)

built-in ovens fit in the same housing unit no matter what power they use.
Just look for one with the same dimensions for an easy life.

http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_8686.html
--
Suzanne

"It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would
make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven
symphony as a variation of wave pressure." A. Eins

NikV

Well B******* me I thought all those fitted ovens were electric - must have
led a sheltered life:-) thanx for the link I will ahve a look around - just
one question though what type of connection is needed for the gas - cookers
I've had in the past had a bayonet type fixing. We've a gas hob so there
must be a gas supply very close - can I use this??

Nik

"Suz" wrote in message

"NikV" wrote in message
[...]

Ed Sirett

NikV wrote:

Well B******* me I thought all those fitted ovens were electric - must have
led a sheltered life:-) thanx for the link I will ahve a look around - just
one question though what type of connection is needed for the gas - cookers
I've had in the past had a bayonet type fixing. We've a gas hob so there
must be a gas supply very close - can I use this??

You'll have to see what the installation instruction say.
The hob need to be done first then the oven. This more or less demands
that the oven is connected with a hose. Possibly with the bayonet outlet
in an adjoining cupboard and a hole between the cabinets.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Suz

Well B******* me I thought all those fitted ovens were electric - must
have
led a sheltered life:-) thanx for the link I will ahve a look around -

just
one question though what type of connection is needed for the gas -

cookers
I've had in the past had a bayonet type fixing. We've a gas hob so there
must be a gas supply very close - can I use this??

PS why do you want a gas oven? Probably the reason you thought built-in
ovens were electric were because they are more popular. Gas hob/electric
oven is the most used combination. Fan assisted electric ovens have some
advantages over other slower electric or gas ovens (but not for baking
pavlova.. hmmm... pavlova..yum) but anyway, where was I? Oh yes, if baking
is important make sure that that it has conventional heat setting available
too. Lots of good brands, but I love Neff ovens.

Suz

NikV

"Suz" wrote in message
[...]

Moved about 2 years ago from similar sized house with Gas C/H, gas cooker
where gas bills were higher to current house with Gas C/H & Electric oven
(and economy 7) electric bills much much higher. Not really any changes in
other appliances or patterns of use (apart from rarely used electric shower
and washing machine/dishwasher on timers to run after 2am) - conclusion was
that electric oven is more expensive (lots of baking, casseroles, roasts,
pizzas). Not really scientific - not checked oven power rating, on times
etc. Also taste/smell of food such as pizzas seems wrong despite continual
cleaning of oven maybe a personal thing

Cheers for any thoughts

Nik

NikV

"BigWallop" wrote in message

"NikV" wrote in message
[...]

Would like a free standing cooker but..
Due to the run needed by the waste to get round the kitchen and exit the
wall above floor height the pipe is about 132mm above floor height, couldn't
see a way of getting a free standing cooker in there without it standing 2
to 5 inches proud of the work surface!!! There are some cookers which have
75mm chrome legs but that still leaves the hob 2 inches higher than work
surface (completely vetoed by swmbo).

Cheers for any thoughts

Nik

BigWallop

"NikV" wrote in message

"BigWallop" wrote in message

snipped

Would like a free standing cooker but..
Due to the run needed by the waste to get round the kitchen and exit the
wall above floor height the pipe is about 132mm above floor height,

couldn't
see a way of getting a free standing cooker in there without it standing 2
to 5 inches proud of the work surface!!! There are some cookers which

have
75mm chrome legs but that still leaves the hob 2 inches higher than work
surface (completely vetoed by swmbo).

Cheers for any thoughts

Nik

Then it's going to have to be seperate hob and oven then. Shop about and
find the best for you.

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Anyone fitted a howdens kitchen ??? Al UK diy 3 September 25th 03 09:58 AM
Recommendation for kitchen design/fitters? Gus UK diy 1 August 1st 03 05:08 PM
Kitchen Taps BigWallop UK diy 5 July 27th 03 01:07 AM
Kitchen Fitter Standards Tim Foley UK diy 2 July 17th 03 09:48 PM