Al

Default Anyone fitted a howdens kitchen ???

I'm thinking of ordering a kitchen from howdens, however one potential
problem is bugging me:

As I understand it, if you buy the equivalent kitchen from MFI, it
comes flat-packed. If the sides of any of the units are visible, you
can then buy replacement end panels (appropriate wood effect) and as
you assemble the cupboards, you discard the white end panel and
replace it with the appropriate wood effect one.

However, as the Howdens units come pre-assembled, how do you get the
appropriate end panel on the cupboard. I get the impression that you
stick/screw the decor end panel to the existing side of the cupboard.
To me this seems like a bit of a bodge, cos you will end up with an
18mm panel sticking out of the sides of the cupboards and the edge of
the doors won't run flush with the edge of the cupboard.

Has anyone had experience of this, and if so - how did you go about
installation. eg. Can you take the cupboard in question apart and
replace the end panel or are they glued & screwed ???

Although Howdens is cheaper than MFI, I'm starting to think that I
might get the MFI version and assemble it myself so as to avoid the
problem mentioned above. Unless anyone has any suggestions !!!
Alex

Yes and the carcasses are not very good held together with dowels and some
staples on the back,at least MFI hygena scew together,

The end panels only come in one size large and have to be cut to fit

PoP

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 17:12:04 +0000 (UTC), "Alex"
wrote:

Yes and the carcasses are not very good held together with dowels and some
staples on the back,at least MFI hygena scew together,

On that subject I discovered that Screwfix sell packs of the cams and
dowels so beloved of MFI flatpack furnitu

Search for "cam" on the site to find the other options.

These are real cheap to buy - £1.60 for 50 cams, similar price for the
dowels.

I quite like these cam/dowel arrangements - quite strong, well hidden,
and they allow the materials to be taken apart and put back together
again on demand.

PoP

Christian McArdle

I get the impression that you stick/screw the decor end panel to
the existing side of the cupboard. To me this seems like a bit
of a bodge,

Correct. I went in to Howdens in the hope of picking up some end panels
which I had forgotten to order from MFI. They explained how it worked. The
display models they had were constructed like this and looked pretty manky
because of it.

However, the carcases do look the same. You might consider ordering your
Howden's kitchen and just ordering some correct shaded end panels from a
Hygena MFI kitchen. Just take a sneaky look to ensure that the holes are
indeed in the same place.

Christian.

Recommendation for kitchen design/fitters? Gus UK diy 1 August 1st 03 05:08 PM
Kitchen Taps BigWallop UK diy 5 July 27th 03 01:07 AM
Covering kitchen doors zaax UK diy 1 July 19th 03 02:51 AM
Kitchen Fitter Standards Tim Foley UK diy 2 July 17th 03 09:48 PM