Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wanted, 13 Amp plug with neon indicator

Approx 10 years ago I purchased a 13A plug which had a large neon indicator
in the back cover (cannot remember the maker), it was quite useful to know
if something had been inadvertently left on, or if a fuse had blown on
something you needed to be on.
Having done a search I can no longer find one, except for a switched plug
with a tiny neon which is so small it does not readily impact on the eye.

Anybody know of a supplier of a plug with neon?

Don

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Jul, 09:39, "Donwill" popple @diddle .dot wrote:
Approx 10 years ago I purchased a 13A plug which had a large neon indicator
in the back cover (cannot remember the maker), it was quite useful to know
if something had been *inadvertently left on, or if a fuse had blown on
something you needed to be on.
Having done a search I can no longer find one, except for a switched plug
with a tiny neon which is so small it does not readily impact on the eye.

Anybody know of a supplier of a plug with neon?

Don

Ten of 'em for thirteen quid he
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-x-13A-FUSED...4069.m14.l1318
Short link: http://ncane.com/e0h

OR a plug with switch and neon:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Switched-13-am...069.m14..l1318
Shortlink: http://ncane.com/ub3
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Martin Pentreath" wrote in message
On 16 Jul, 09:39, "Donwill" popple @diddle .dot wrote:
Approx 10 years ago I purchased a 13A plug which had a large neon
indicator
in the back cover (cannot remember the maker), it was quite useful to know
if something had been inadvertently left on, or if a fuse had blown on
something you needed to be on.
Having done a search I can no longer find one, except for a switched plug
with a tiny neon which is so small it does not readily impact on the eye.

Anybody know of a supplier of a plug with neon?

Don

Ten of 'em for thirteen quid he
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-x-13A-FUSED...4069.m14.l1318
Short link: http://ncane.com/e0h

OR a plug with switch and neon:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Switched-13-am...4069.m14.l1318
Shortlink: http://ncane.com/ub3

Yes thanks for that, but both of these are the switched plugs with a small
neon that I was referring to "as being so small it does not readily impact
on the eye."
The ones I am looking for had a neon indicator approx 20 x 20mm square, (as
far as I remember them)
Cheers
Don

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 11:50:34 UTC, "Donwill" popple @diddle .dot wrote:

"Martin Pentreath" wrote in message
On 16 Jul, 09:39, "Donwill" popple @diddle .dot wrote:
Approx 10 years ago I purchased a 13A plug which had a large neon
indicator
in the back cover (cannot remember the maker), it was quite useful to know
if something had been inadvertently left on, or if a fuse had blown on
something you needed to be on.
Having done a search I can no longer find one, except for a switched plug
with a tiny neon which is so small it does not readily impact on the eye.

Anybody know of a supplier of a plug with neon?

The ones I am looking for had a neon indicator approx 20 x 20mm square, (as
far as I remember them)

We have two, bought in 1994, and I had trouble finding them then. The
neon is about 15mm by about 10mm. They cost an arm and a leg (about a
fiver each, then).

Can't find them now, but the switched ones from CPC are pretty nright
even though the neon is a lot smaller.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 16, 7:07*pm, "Bob Eager" wrote:
[...]

If you can make 10 in an hour it may be worth diying. Drill hole of
size wanted, lie top on polythene, fill hole mostly full with clear
epoxy, insert neon and add white paper back. Let it set and Roberta's
your auntie.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Jul, 00:24, wrote:
[...]

It's a bit simpler than that, as transparent plugs exist and the one
I've just looked at seems to have space to squeeze in the neon and
resistor from a mains panel indicator. But it came on a table lamp and
I don't know who sells them separately.

Another way would be to build it into an empty/cannibalised walwart
box, though it can be difficult to find one with a metal earth pin if
you need it.

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Donwill" popple @diddle .dot wrote in message
Approx 10 years ago I purchased a 13A plug which had a large neon
indicator in the back cover (cannot remember the maker), it was quite
useful to know if something had been inadvertently left on, or if a fuse
had blown on something you needed to be on.
Having done a search I can no longer find one, except for a switched plug
with a tiny neon which is so small it does not readily impact on the eye.

Anybody know of a supplier of a plug with neon?

Don

I still have one on my steam iron, I got it years ago from Woolworths an it
appears to be manufactured by WG. I have just Googled but I can't find any
reference to them so they may have ceased trading.
Trevor Smith

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Trevor Smith wrote:

I still have one on my steam iron, I got it years ago from Woolworths an it
appears to be manufactured by WG. I have just Googled but I can't find any
reference to them so they may have ceased trading.

WG in this context[*] is Ward and Goldstone of Manchester who were
Woolies main supplier of electrical items for very many years:
http://museum.woolworths.co.uk/hg-leadinglights.htm
[*] It can also be the German company Wandel & Goltermann.

--
Andy