John K

Default Cooker switch neon indicator

My cooker switch is wired in a way that the neon indicator is always
on, whether the switch is on or off. Is this correct? (I am under the
impression that the indicator should be in sync with the switch). The
cooker is mixed-energy: gas hob and electric oven, if that matters.

Moreover, I have two wall light switches that also have neon
indicators and the indicators are always on regardless whether the
switches are on or off. They must be wired by the same electrician.
But is this correct?

Thanks, -JK.
Dave Plowman

In article ,
John K wrote:
My cooker switch is wired in a way that the neon indicator is always
on, whether the switch is on or off. Is this correct? (I am under the
impression that the indicator should be in sync with the switch). The
cooker is mixed-energy: gas hob and electric oven, if that matters.

Sounds like the input and output from the switch are reversed. Not a safety
issue, but annoying.

Moreover, I have two wall light switches that also have neon
indicators and the indicators are always on regardless whether the
switches are on or off. They must be wired by the same electrician.
But is this correct?

If they are there to 'see' the switch in the dark, it's normal to have them
on with the light off, and off with it on. If it's a normal lighting
circuit, it sounds like he might have wired one side to earth, given that
there's not normally a neutral at a switch.

--
*If I throw a stick, will you leave?

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Harry Bloomfield

On 18/02/2004 John K opined:-
Moreover, I have two wall light switches that also have neon
indicators and the indicators are always on regardless whether the
switches are on or off. They must be wired by the same electrician.
But is this correct?

No, it is wrong. The indicators are to indicate that the switches are
turned on.

The terminals should be marked something similar to 'in' and 'out', one
for each L and N. Your 'electrician' has got the 'in' mixed up with the
'out'.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Harry Bloomfield

On 18/02/2004 Harry Bloomfield a wrote :
On 18/02/2004 John K opined:-
Moreover, I have two wall light switches that also have neon
indicators and the indicators are always on regardless whether the
switches are on or off. They must be wired by the same electrician.
But is this correct?

No, it is wrong. The indicators are to indicate that the switches are turned
on.

The terminals should be marked something similar to 'in' and 'out', one for
each L and N. Your 'electrician' has got the 'in' mixed up with the 'out'.

Sorry, that was meant to apply to the cooker type switches.

In uk.d-i-y, Dave Plowman wrote:

If they are there to 'see' the switch in the dark, it's normal to have them
on with the light off, and off with it on. If it's a normal lighting
circuit, it sounds like he might have wired one side to earth, given that
there's not normally a neutral at a switch.

With incandescents, there's no need to wire the cold end of the neon
to earth: the neon goes across the switch contacts, and the cold resistance
of the blub forms an effective path to neutral (being massively lower than
the 'internal resistance' of a neon indicator). With the switch on, there's
no potential across the neon, so it goes out. A downside of this Ingeneous
scheme is that if the bulb blows, the indicator no longer lights; and it's
shot to pot if you use compact-flourescent or similar.

As for the cooker switch, it sounds as you say very much as if the wiring
to the 'Feed' and 'Load' sides of the switch have been swapped round.

Cheers, Stefek

Dave Plowman

In article ,
wrote:
If they are there to 'see' the switch in the dark, it's normal to have
them on with the light off, and off with it on. If it's a normal
lighting circuit, it sounds like he might have wired one side to
earth, given that there's not normally a neutral at a switch.

With incandescents, there's no need to wire the cold end of the neon to
earth: the neon goes across the switch contacts, and the cold resistance
of the blub forms an effective path to neutral (being massively lower
than the 'internal resistance' of a neon indicator). With the switch on,
there's no potential across the neon, so it goes out. A downside of this
Ingeneous scheme is that if the bulb blows, the indicator no longer
lights; and it's shot to pot if you use compact-flourescent or similar.

Err, that's what I said. If it stays on all the time as the OP says, one
side is either wired to earth or neutral.

--
*Who are these kids and why are they calling me Mom?

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Mike Tomlinson

In article , Andy Hall