Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacement Windows

I know this isn't strictly DIY as I'm not planning to do it myself, but I
suspect I'll get more sense out of you guys than most other places. So,
anyone had their windows replaced lately? If so, what were you told about
meeting current Means of Escape regulations?

Reason I'm asking is that we've had three quotes so far (fourth coming) and
each company has given us a different story about what is accepable and what
isn't. So, I looked up the Approved Documents myself
(http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/eng...314110382.html)
and decided they were all wrong. So I emailed Fensa and today spoke with
someone there who agreed with me. Fensa, though, wouldn't go as far as to
say the companies are wrong, just that they were being over cautious in
specifying windows which went beyond the actual requirement.

I'm trying to get a handle on whether this is some form of mis-selling
because all the companies said we HAD to have this that or the other, not
that it was an option or that they just recommended it. I wondered if this
was general throughout the industry or just in this area.

I'm also wondering where to go from here. As we don't really like what we
are being told we have to have, do we shop around for another company or try
to get one of the ones we've already been to to supply what we want. I'm
wondering if there's another organisation who supports the consumer in a
case like this because Fensa made it clear they are not a consumer
organisation and wouldn't investigate this at all.

So, anyone with any experience they would like to relate. Any comments
welcome.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 16:03:40 +0100, "Peter"
wrote:

[...]

An indication of what you have been told would be helpful.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

.. .
An indication of what you have been told would be helpful.

Why?

I don't want to steer this down a specific path and start an argument over
specifics. I'd just like to know what others have been told in general
terms
regarding meeting current regulations.

Have you had replacement windows? If so, what were you told? If you
haven't....

I have an old terraced house and
I had old windows replaced with dble glazing and when it came to the survey
the guy said I have to have a fire escape standard window on the upstairs.
So in the end I opted for 2 and the cost of the project didn't change.

Dunno if this helpful.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 22:07:05 +0100, "Peter"
wrote:

Have you had replacement windows? If so, what were you told? If you
haven't....

With that attitude in here you are unlikely to get any meaningful
replies, from me least of all.

So bye bye.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arthur2" wrote in message

I have an old terraced house and
I had old windows replaced with dble glazing and when it came to the
survey
the guy said I have to have a fire escape standard window on the upstairs.
So in the end I opted for 2 and the cost of the project didn't change.

Dunno if this helpful.

More helpful than EricP(ratt). Thanks

Without knowing the details I can't say for sure but I suspect you didn't
really need a fire escape window but, as long as the price was no different
and you're happy with the design, (and presumably happy you now have a
window you can get out of) it's not a problem. The issue is that you were
told you had to have one when that may not have been the case.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Your interpretation form what you've read in the approved documents is
likely to be more accurate than the opinion of a salesman that's just
heard about them, but not actually read them.

If the layout of your house is rather unusual, it's open plan, or some
room designations ambiguous, or unusual placing of things like solid
fuel stoves - there could be some doubt about whether MOE are required
in certain rooms. Remember it's not just what you use a room for, but
what future owners might reasonably do. Talk to a building control
officer from your local council.

I would approach window companies with a written spec "this is what I
want" and ask them to justify, in writing, and changes they feel are
necessary.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

I would approach window companies with a written spec "this is what I
want" and ask them to justify, in writing, and changes they feel are
necessary.

Could be a good idea though having already had the quotes it's maybe a bit
late. I also suspect they would just say 'it's the regulations' and tell me
to go elsewhere if I'm not happy with it. I am thinking of going back to all
of them with some sort of query for 'clarification' to see what they say but
I'm still not sure how far I'd get.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Jul, 20:31, "Peter" wrote:
wrote in message

I would approach window companies with a written spec "this is what I
want" and ask them to justify, in writing, and changes they feel are
necessary.

Could be a good idea though having already had the quotes it's maybe a bit
late. I also suspect they would just say 'it's the regulations' and tell me
to go elsewhere if I'm not happy with it. I am thinking of going back to all
of them with some sort of query for 'clarification' to see what they say but
I'm still not sure how far I'd get.

Peter, call your local council BCO (building control office). They
will tell you exactly what is and isn't required to meet building
regulations.

windows replacement [email protected] Home Repair 4 November 20th 07 05:45 PM
replacement windows longshot Home Repair 2 April 11th 07 09:30 PM
Replacement Windows Steve Hawkins Home Repair 6 March 12th 07 02:29 PM
Replacement Windows Carl Home Repair 33 June 17th 06 02:10 AM
Replacement Windows Carl Home Ownership 29 June 17th 06 02:10 AM