Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Carl

Default Replacement Windows

I am looking at getting replacement windows and wa contacted by Melani
Brothers. A company that installs windows, siding and decks. The
price they quoted me for 8 windows/installation is approx $8500. The
demo window they brought out to my house, created by SunriseWindows
seemed very high quality with no dead space with inthe frame or
construction. The window is laser fused and is not mechanicaly (screws
and bolts) constructed. They compared their window to a replacement
window purchased from Lowes or Home Depot in how it is constructed and
the overall quality, their window does seem far above what they tell me
about the competitors windows, but it is just that... what they tell
me.

Is $8500 a fair price for the windows and installation? Where would be
a good place to go for information about their quality and workmanship?
I have gone to BBB website and there were less than 10 complaints, all
of which were resolved in one way or another.

The windows are (2) 32x66 and (6) 32x52.

Thanks for any help/advice you can give me.
Carl

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Agreed as usual with ToddH, 8500 is about double what I would have
expected.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Todd H.

"Carl" writes:
Is $8500 a fair price for the windows and installation? Where would be
a good place to go for information about their quality and workmanship?
I have gone to BBB website and there were less than 10 complaints, all
of which were resolved in one way or another.

The windows are (2) 32x66 and (6) 32x52.

Over $1000 a window? Jesus. I got a 1970 built 4br raised ranch home
re-sided in vinyl and all 12 windows replaced for less than that total
of $8500.

Get more quotes. I got some Alside windows that I dearly miss at
about $350 installed a piece--I think we did 12 of them. They weren't
as long as your windows, but a similar quote was given to me at my new
place which has these longer windows.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Look into windows with known quality like Marvin Anderson and Pella.
Consumers Reports has a good article on windows it was a test of 23 done
a few years ago. Go to www.EnergyStar.gov to learn about your
investment, there is alot to learn as none are made or perform equaly.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
AllEmailDeletedImmediately

"Carl" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

check w/alside. ours were 400ea, installed, for L+W=100in.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Moisés Nacio

"Todd H." wrote

Get more quotes. I got some Alside windows that I dearly miss at
about $350 installed a piece--I think we did 12 of them. They weren't
as long as your windows, but a similar quote was given to me at my new
place which has these longer windows.

I agree Alside manufactures a decent window. And, they've been around for a
long time. I do know they back their products.

The OP should be able to get a better product and much better price, for
the size of the openings.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Bob (but not THAT Bob)

Carl wrote:

[...]

By laser-fused I'm guessing it's vinyl?

If so, based on the price I paid for similarly sized windows in a house
I remodeled for resale, you should be looking at no more than 2 grand
installed including formed aluminum outside coverage.

All vinyl is crap anyway and begins to get brittle from UV exposure upon
installation, so "premium prices" don't get you any more longevity.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Martik

"Carl" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I just finished replacing my 13 windows with Jeld-wen low-e argon for
approx $2500 doing the install myself. They have a lifetime warranty.
http://jeld-wen.com/

Those size windows should be approx $200 each.

Home Depot sells them and installs at a decent price, probably $100/window
for that size.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug

On 13 Jun 2006 13:50:28 -0700, "Carl" wrote:

[...]

That $8500 price is exhorbitant!

I assume that you are talking about vinyl frame replacement windows
that drop into the original window framing and not new construction
windows?

Another poster suggested Pella, Marvin or Anderson windows but they
are not known for replacement windows, at least not around here.

Also, despite the statement made by another poster that vinyl windows
deteriorate rapdily due to UV exposure, I've not found that to be the
case. I've installed over 50 of them, some going back 20 years. So
far, there's been no noticeable deterioration of the vinyl. If the
vinyl did indeed deteriorate that fast, vinyl siding makers wouldn't
be able to offer their warranties. The makers add UV inhibitor
chemicals to protect the vinyl.

The H-D windows sold under the American Craftsman brand are actually
quite decent. Their better 8500 series has low E glass, 7/8" glass
spacing, Argon filled AND fusion welded frames. The price for just
the windows (no installation) in your sizes runs around $175 to
$200/ea.

When I've been too busy to do my own installs, I use a local supplier
that installs a similar high quality low-E/Argon filled/Fusion welded
double hung window for around $225/ea in minimum quantities of 5 per
job site.

Doug

Slumlord par excellance!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lena

Doug wrote:
...despite the statement made by another poster that vinyl windows
deteriorate rapdily due to UV exposure, I've not found that to be the
case. I've installed over 50 of them, some going back 20 years.

Agreed. We had our vinyl windows replaced recently after 35 years.
They looked like new, but were single pane with storm windows and many
of the clips that hold the windows up were broken. A real PIA to
clean. Deteriorated? No way! The new Alside windows are easier to
open, close, clean, better insulation and are more secure. Paid $5000
for job including removal of old windows, hauling them away,
installation and flashing, 16 windows including a large picture window
in the livingroom.

Lena

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Colbyt

"Carl" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Last year the cost of a 32x70 DH vinyl here was $169.00. I am sure the cost
is somewhat higher now then it was a year ago BUT;

I think I would shop a little more if I were you.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
ToMh

Bob (but not THAT Bob) wrote:
Carl wrote:

[...]

Your premium wood windows will be in a landfill for twenty years while
those Vinyl windows are still on your house.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
D. Gerasimatos

In article .com,
ToMh wrote:

Your premium wood windows will be in a landfill for twenty years while
those Vinyl windows are still on your house.

Yes, which is why my 77 year old wooden windows are still in place on
my house...

Dimitri

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Lena

D. Gerasimatos wrote:
my 77 year old wooden windows are still in place on
my house...

How many times have they been painted? Reglazed? Do they stick? How
difficult are they to clean, on the outside? Have the counterweight
cables been replaced? Do you bother to open them on a cool day or is
it too much trouble? Do you have storm windows over them? Do they
sweat in the winter? Wood windows are a lot of work, aren't they?

Lena

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
D. Gerasimatos

In article .com,
Lena wrote:
D. Gerasimatos wrote:
my 77 year old wooden windows are still in place on
my house...

How many times have they been painted? Reglazed? Do they stick? How
difficult are they to clean, on the outside? Have the counterweight
cables been replaced? Do you bother to open them on a cool day or is
it too much trouble? Do you have storm windows over them? Do they
sweat in the winter? Wood windows are a lot of work, aren't they?

Are you kidding me? The previous owner put in 3 vinyl windows and I
can't wait to get rid of them in favor of wood.

Dimitri

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
KLS

On 14 Jun 2006 13:10:50 -0700, "Lena" wrote:

D. Gerasimatos wrote:
my 77 year old wooden windows are still in place on
my house...

How many times have they been painted? Reglazed? Do they stick? How
difficult are they to clean, on the outside? Have the counterweight
cables been replaced? Do you bother to open them on a cool day or is
it too much trouble? Do you have storm windows over them? Do they
sweat in the winter? Wood windows are a lot of work, aren't they?

They've been painted about every 10 years or so. Reglazed as needed,
mostly on the south and west sides. They don't stick, and we've
replaced a few of the counterweight cables. We always open them on a
cool day, without hesitation. We do have storm windows over all
except one attic dormer window that I plan to build a simple storm
for, just to protect the main window. They do not sweat in the winter
(western New York). They're really hardly any work, and again, the
return on investment for replacing them is on the order of 30 years.
No, thanks, honey. I'll stick with these.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Todd H.

It's important to note that they don't make wood they way they used
to.

Older windows are worth maintaining. Now these 12 year old piece of
**** builder windows made of fast growth pine, I'll be replacing with
vinyl just as goddamn soon as I have the money to do so. These things
suck.

I'm sure the 77 year old windows, however, will last and if yer
willing to do the maintenance, they'll look good doing so.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Caledonia

Lena wrote:
D. Gerasimatos wrote:
my 77 year old wooden windows are still in place on
my house...

How many times have they been painted? Reglazed? Do they stick? How
difficult are they to clean, on the outside? Have the counterweight
cables been replaced? Do you bother to open them on a cool day or is
it too much trouble? Do you have storm windows over them? Do they
sweat in the winter? Wood windows are a lot of work, aren't they?

Lena

For our (former) house, the windows were repainted after 7 years. No
reglazing was necessary. One window did stick, and the counterweight
cables had been replaced in all windows at some undefined point in the
past. We opened them when we needed the windows opened, they had storms
put on in the fall and taken off in the spring. No sweating noticable.

Um, yes, wood windows are more work than buying vinyl windows every 5
years or so -- but by the same token, washing my clothes is more work
than just buying new ones every day.

And with vinyl, you get that weird white trim, which shouts 'bland!'
(How can people stand to have their interior window trim not match
their interior baseboard/chair rail trim? Just too strange...)

Caledonia

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
ToMh

Caledonia wrote:
Lena wrote:
D. Gerasimatos wrote:
[...]

I've had vinyl windows and 2 sliding doors (EPI) for 15 years,
including one big 10'x5' Zero problems and no maintainence, other than
cleaning. They look and work as good as the day we got them.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Moisés Nacio

"Caledonia" wrote in message
Um, yes, wood windows are more work than buying vinyl windows every 5
years or so -- but by the same token, washing my clothes is more work
than just buying new ones every day.

It would be interesting to know, which brands need replaced every 5 yrs or
so.

As a former contractor, now retired, I put thousands of windows in, wood &
vinyl. I only used two vinyl manufacturers, one I mentioned in an earlier
post. The two I used, guaranteed all the vinyl sashes/frames etc for life.
It wasn't empty guaranties, because customers contacted me, even after 25
years. I seen the manufacturers take care of the guaranties.

Of course not all manufacturers use virgin vinyl, or stand behind their
guaranties.

To make a blanket statement about having to replace vinyl windows every 5
years or so, is simply not true.

And with vinyl, you get that weird white trim, which shouts 'bland!'
(How can people stand to have their interior window trim not match
their interior baseboard/chair rail trim? Just too strange...)

Absolutely not true. Vinyl windows, just like any other window, can be
trimmed out according to taste and budget.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Carl wrote:
I am looking at getting replacement windows and wa contacted by Melani
Brothers. A company that installs windows, siding and decks. The
price they quoted me for 8 windows/installation is approx $8500.

(snip)

Is $8500 a fair price for the windows and installation? Where would be
a good place to go for information about their quality and workmanship?

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you but I have learned a LOT about
windows in the past couple months as I go through the process of
figuring out the best way to do my window replacement.

We had a guy from Pella come out to my house and give us a quote of
basically $865 per window installed for a bunch of double-hung wood
replacement windows (using the existing trim) all of custom sizes. I
thought that was high, asked about it here and was told it was actually
pretty reasonable for a custom wood window of Pella quality. (And they
are quality windows.) And that's with Pella-spec'd and supervised
installation.

I'm now in the process of also pricing Andersen and some other vinyl
manufacturers, along with Marvin for wood. I'm not finding a huge
difference in price and I don't really want vinyl. Andersen is about
$750 per hole for vinyl in the sizes I need. I'm not sure about Marvin
yet but hoping I can use their tilt-pac system and maybe save at least
a little cash on wood.

The size you need makes a HUGE difference. You can get standard sized
replacement windows for a couple hundred bucks and install them
yourself fairly easily (depending on what kind of original windows you
have). But if you've got an older home with odd sized windows (as I
do) that all need to be custom-made these days, then you're going to
pay a big premium. This is what I've unfortunately learned. You were
quoted more than $1,000 per window - that sounds pretty high, but then
you do have a couple of pretty big windows and I don't know if your
other six are standard or not. You might want to look around
manufacturer web sites and see if anybody offers those sizes as a
standard window. Also, I can't remember if you said these are full
windows or replacements.

As for the vinyl vs. wood argument - in my house we have about 20
80-year-old wood counterweight windows and 2 newer vinyl windows
(kitchen and bathroom). The kitchen casement Andersen window looks ok
and feels like decent quality, but the Andersen double-hung in the
bathroom just looks and feels like cheap plastic. Even the kitchen
window is just lacking that warm "imperfectness" of natural wood,
though. It's a personal preference thing. For me, I'm not so
concerned with whether a window's gonna last me 25 years or a lifetime
- I'm probably going to sell my house in 7-10 years anyway. But I want
something that looks good, feels nice to the touch and fits the rest of
my house. That means wood for all the public areas, barring a major,
major price difference between wood and vinyl. I do still plan to
probably just go with cheap vinyl for the attic and basement once we
get around to doing those. (I actually love our old counterweight
windows, but a few of them are just completely shot to hell and there
are some rooms where I've gotta match bay windows and things like
that.)

Most of my neighbors have both vinyl windows and vinyl siding and they
look like houses you might buy as a blue-light special at K-Mart.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Caledonia

Moisés Nacio wrote:
"Caledonia" wrote in message
Um, yes, wood windows are more work than buying vinyl windows every 5
years or so -- but by the same token, washing my clothes is more work
than just buying new ones every day.

It would be interesting to know, which brands need replaced every 5 yrs or
so.

My neighbor replaced her 4 Newpro windows for leaking after ~4 years.
Other contractors have mentioned that those (Newpro) aren't so great.

As a former contractor, now retired, I put thousands of windows in, wood &
vinyl. I only used two vinyl manufacturers, one I mentioned in an earlier
post. The two I used, guaranteed all the vinyl sashes/frames etc for life.
It wasn't empty guaranties, because customers contacted me, even after 25
years. I seen the manufacturers take care of the guaranties.

Of course not all manufacturers use virgin vinyl, or stand behind their
guaranties.

To make a blanket statement about having to replace vinyl windows every 5
years or so, is simply not true.

That's true -- it's highly unlikely that all vinyl windows would need
replacement within a decade. Some most likely will, some likely won't.

And with vinyl, you get that weird white trim, which shouts 'bland!'
(How can people stand to have their interior window trim not match
their interior baseboard/chair rail trim? Just too strange...)

Absolutely not true. Vinyl windows, just like any other window, can be
trimmed out according to taste and budget.

Wow -- I have learned something new today. I've only seen vinyl windows
with white muntins, and had believed that it wasn't possible to get the
black (or dark green clad) vinyl windows due to heat issues. (Most
windows in my area are the divided light (12 over 12) style --
typically painted black or dark green on the house's exterior, and
painted to match the room trim on the interior.) Out of curiosity, who
makes vinyl windows clad in 'historic' dark colors for the exterior,
with paintable interiors?

Caledonia

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
KTECH

Just replaced my slider windows with Andersen Renew with stainable oak
laminate. So far they seem OK (very expensive though). Wood finish not as
fine as I would have liked ,but its better than OK. Had no choice since only
Andersen had a slider replacement with wood interior.Marvin unit only had
one of the sashes moveable, kind of dumb. Andersen service has been
great,makes the $$ easier to handle.
Frank
"Caledonia" wrote in message
oups.com...

Moisés Nacio wrote:
"Caledonia" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Todd H.

"Caledonia" writes:

painted to match the room trim on the interior.) Out of curiosity, who
makes vinyl windows clad in 'historic' dark colors for the exterior,
with paintable interiors?

Not sure, but I had woodgrain interior treatment to my vinyl windows,
and trimmed it with red oak, stained with... oh, some standard minwax
stain color. Unless you got your eyeball right up to the window and
felt it, you'd never know the interior wasn't wood.

I personally like white as a trim color on the outside to provide
contrast to the house's siding or brick color and didn't investigate
different outdoor finish colors, but indoor wise, the wood grains on
the "oak" finished Alside vinyl windows looked very nice.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

my vinyl windows are 12 or 13 years old, I have replaced 3 sealed units
2 of which take heavy abuse of 4 dogs jumping against. spent about 100
bucks on the sealed units, the manufacturer reynolds got out of window
business and the local dealer wouldnt return my calls. lifetime
warrantys dont necessarily last forever.

my windows havent had any troubles other than a couple minor
adjkustments, they have metal interior reinforcements.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Moisés Nacio

"Caledonia" wrote in message

My neighbor replaced her 4 Newpro windows for leaking after ~4 years.
Other contractors have mentioned that those (Newpro) aren't so great.

Never heard of them. You've pointed out the exact reason, to stick with a
well known brand.

Wow -- I have learned something new today. I've only seen vinyl windows
with white muntins, and had believed that it wasn't possible to get the
black (or dark green clad) vinyl windows due to heat issues. (Most
windows in my area are the divided light (12 over 12) style --
typically painted black or dark green on the house's exterior, and
painted to match the room trim on the interior.) Out of curiosity, who
makes vinyl windows clad in 'historic' dark colors for the exterior,
with paintable interiors?

When you deal with a reputable window manufacture, you can get windows
configured just about anyway you can dream up. The mutins are between the
panes. You can order vinyl in shades of brown, green, white, with the
interior done in different shades of laminate.

As far as a paintable vinyl, paint manufacturers such as S/W & B/M, both
produce paint with properties which will adhere to just about any surface
imaginable, with proper prep and primer. Which is the same way you would
paint wood windows.

Out of curiosity, who makes wood windows clad in 'historic' dark colors?

You seem to be heading way off topic, towards historic restoration, of
which I didn't get a hint of, until now.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Banty

In article , Moisés Nacio says...

"Caledonia" wrote in message

[...]

Marvin.

http://www.marvin.com/default.aspx?p..._Hung.exterior

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Caledonia

Moisés Nacio wrote:
"Caledonia" wrote in message

[...]

I don't know of any wood windows that arrive pre-painted in dark
colors. But hey, isn't that the hassle/benefit factor of wood windows
which we were discussing?

I'm not so much into historic restoration (although I am embittered to
be living in a house built within the last 50 years) -- but interested
in 'fitting in' to the neighborhood look, as everything here is old or
pretending to look that way. (We are, alas, in the second category...)

Caledonia

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Moisés Nacio

"Caledonia" wrote

I don't know of any wood windows that arrive pre-painted in dark
colors. But hey, isn't that the hassle/benefit factor of wood windows
which we were discussing?

I was being sarcastic to your remark of "Out of curiosity, who makes vinyl
windows clad in 'historic' dark colors for the exterior, with paintable
interiors?"

Myself, I don't care for painted trim work, or windows. That's what makes
the world go around, everyone is different, and everyone decorates their
own home, to their own taste. As I said in my original reply about taste &
budget.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Caledonia

"Caledonia" wrote in message

[...]