Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter[_9_] Peter[_9_] is offline

Default Replacement Windows

I know this isn't strictly DIY as I'm not planning to do it myself, but I
suspect I'll get more sense out of you guys than most other places. So,
anyone had their windows replaced lately? If so, what were you told about
meeting current Means of Escape regulations?

Reason I'm asking is that we've had three quotes so far (fourth coming) and
each company has given us a different story about what is accepable and what
isn't. So, I looked up the Approved Documents myself
(http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/eng...314110382.html)
and decided they were all wrong. So I emailed Fensa and today spoke with
someone there who agreed with me. Fensa, though, wouldn't go as far as to
say the companies are wrong, just that they were being over cautious in
specifying windows which went beyond the actual requirement.

I'm trying to get a handle on whether this is some form of mis-selling
because all the companies said we HAD to have this that or the other, not
that it was an option or that they just recommended it. I wondered if this
was general throughout the industry or just in this area.

I'm also wondering where to go from here. As we don't really like what we
are being told we have to have, do we shop around for another company or try
to get one of the ones we've already been to to supply what we want. I'm
wondering if there's another organisation who supports the consumer in a
case like this because Fensa made it clear they are not a consumer
organisation and wouldn't investigate this at all.

So, anyone with any experience they would like to relate. Any comments
welcome.