Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mo Mo is offline

Default Trunking and making holes

Hi DIY fans Have 2 questions

First, have a plank of wood (about 2 metres by 15 cm). It is about 1.5cm
thick.

I need to scre it onto the wall and I have allocated and screwed out 5 holes
on the plank t - which is where I wil lscrew through the wood and into the
wall

Question is what is the ebst way to accuratley drill into the wall behidn so
the holes in the wood match up with the ones I need o nthe wall?

I see 2 options
try and draw out the wood on the wall and hope it is accurate

Use a pencil like device - put it through the hoels and make a mark that
way - problem is no pencil has a tip of 1.5cm to go through the wood and
also the holes are fairly small - is there a device designed to do this?

Secondly, I need soem truning and due to legth I need the best optio nseems
to be self adhesive on a roll. I need to trunk 2 telephone wires and a
network cable - so not too thick

Is this stuff on a roll any good and how to you go around corners? i.e ones
that stick in and out? And what about right angles?

thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mo" wrote in message
Hi DIY fans Have 2 questions

First, have a plank of wood (about 2 metres by 15 cm). It is about 1.5cm
thick.

I need to scre it onto the wall and I have allocated and screwed out 5

holes
on the plank t - which is where I wil lscrew through the wood and into the
wall

Question is what is the ebst way to accuratley drill into the wall behidn

so
the holes in the wood match up with the ones I need o nthe wall?

I see 2 options
try and draw out the wood on the wall and hope it is accurate

Use a pencil like device - put it through the hoels and make a mark that
way - problem is no pencil has a tip of 1.5cm to go through the wood and
also the holes are fairly small - is there a device designed to do this?

Cor! thats an hard question.

Line the wood up to were you want it,hold it there and drill straight
through one of the holes in the wood and into the wall.
Then put in a rawl plug and screw the wood onto the wall,then drill other
holes whilst keeping the wood firmly in place against the wall.
If for some unkown reason you don't want to do it this way? find a thin
round bladed unused screwdriver and file its end to a sharp point and use it
like a bradawl.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

"mo" wrote in message
[...]

Assuming that you are using plugs and screws rather than frame fixings

I would offer up the wood to the wall in the correct place and drill through
the centre hole with a suitable size bit either masonry or ordinary to mark
the wall behind

Then remove the wood and drill and plug the wall with the correct
combination of masonry drill size and rawlplug

Then screw the wood to the wall and use a spirit level to get it either
horizontal or vertical (assuming that it needs to be one or the other)

With the wood in place mark the other holes in the same way as the first

Loosen the screw and move the wood to one side and drill and plug the other
holes

Position the wood back in the correct place and insert all screws

If you use frame fixings instead you drill straight through the wood into
the wall with the same size drill and put the frame fixing straight in
through the wood and tighten

Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
m...

"mo" wrote in message
[...]

Not really, use a drill bit that fits the hole loosely, get the wood in
place, dab the back end of the drill bit in shoe polish and poke through the
holes.

That's the quick way, for a more perfect job, drill plug and fix to the
first hole, level wood and mark last as above, drill plug and secure then
mark the other intermediate holes as above.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
mo wrote:
First, have a plank of wood (about 2 metres by 15 cm). It is about 1.5cm
thick.

I need to scre it onto the wall and I have allocated and screwed out 5
holes on the plank t - which is where I wil lscrew through the wood and
into the wall

Question is what is the ebst way to accuratley drill into the wall
behidn so the holes in the wood match up with the ones I need o nthe
wall?

Frame fixings make this easy.

--
*A bicycle can't stand alone because it's two tyred.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Mannix wrote:
"George" wrote in message
m...
"mo" wrote in message
[...]

Working in a school part time we have to fix sundela board to walls on a
regular basis to satisfy the isatiable appetite for display boards. We
do this.
Drill 5mm hole in the top centre of the board
Hold board in place on wall and drill through with 5.5mm masonry drill
to suitable depth
Tap red plug in to hole in board until flush, then use 4mm screw as a
drift to push plug through board into wall.
Tighten screw
Square up board and repeat as necessary

I ave also used this technique to put p battens for heavier jobs. It
helps if you can find plugs with no lip on the front

Malcolm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mo wrote:
[...]

Self adhesive trunking is easy to put up but IME (I have put Cat5
cabling in a large Primary school over the course of a few years) it
does need to be fixes with screws or masonry nails at fairly large
intervals. The self adhesive element helps to hold it in place while
ypou level it and add other fixings. The adhesion depends on the
surface finish/cleanliness and the brand of trunking. Trunking on a
roll is easier to deal with over long runs and can be fixed with masonry
nails as it is fixed when flat and then shaped.

Cornres have to be done using pre formed clip on pieces with the
trunking capping cut short of the corner - you will see how to do it if
you look at the pre formed pieces. Yoiu can make internal corners by
butting the capping but you need to buy the external corners. I have
used the Screwfix supplied trunking but have minor problems with the
corners as orners seem to be designed to work with particular brands of
trunking and don't fit this typoe easily.

Malcolm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mo wrote:
Hi DIY fans Have 2 questions

First, have a plank of wood (about 2 metres by 15 cm). It is about
1.5cm thick.

I need to scre it onto the wall and I have allocated and screwed out
5 holes on the plank t - which is where I wil lscrew through the wood
and into the wall

Question is what is the ebst way to accuratley drill into the wall
behidn so the holes in the wood match up with the ones I need o nthe
wall?

Simple. Buy a 6mm Bosch Multi Material Drill Bit
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/26900/...-Bit-6-x-100mm

Position the wood & drill right through wood & wall in one go - at about mid
point. Insert hammer fixing
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/28374/...0mm-Pack-of-50
and whack in 90%

Level the timber & drill & fix as above at top or bottom. Check level,
insert other 3 fixings as above.

Stuff can be bought at B&Q if you don't have a Screwfic depot handy.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mo Mo is offline

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Simple. Buy a 6mm Bosch Multi Material Drill Bit
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/26900/...-Bit-6-x-100mm

Position the wood & drill right through wood & wall in one go - at about
mid point. Insert hammer fixing
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/28374/...0mm-Pack-of-50
and whack in 90%

Level the timber & drill & fix as above at top or bottom. Check level,
insert other 3 fixings as above.

Stuff can be bought at B&Q if you don't have a Screwfic depot handy.

Cheers

Those thigns in your second link - what are they exactly? like wall plugs
but you can just hammer them in instead of screwing?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mo wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message news:ZCcbk.20392
Simple. Buy a 6mm Bosch Multi Material Drill Bit
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/26900/...-Bit-6-x-100mm

Position the wood & drill right through wood & wall in one go - at
about mid point. Insert hammer fixing
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/28374/...0mm-Pack-of-50
and whack in 90%

Level the timber & drill & fix as above at top or bottom. Check
level, insert other 3 fixings as above.

Stuff can be bought at B&Q if you don't have a Screwfic depot handy.

Cheers

Those thigns in your second link - what are they exactly? like wall
plugs but you can just hammer them in instead of screwing?

Absolutely - Hammer Fixings. Same size drill goes through timber & into
wall, insert fixing, bash with hammer. The plastic plug stops flush with
the timber, the 'screw' carries on to open the plug.

The screw head is for removal. Just make sure the drill is long enough.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Making lots of square holes Thomas Womack Metalworking 12 June 24th 08 04:27 AM
Making holes in walls Keith Dunbar UK diy 8 January 22nd 08 04:56 PM
Making holes in wood Arch Woodturning 4 August 20th 04 01:06 AM
Making 4-11/16" Holes in Al Panel Rileyesi Metalworking 10 December 16th 03 06:43 PM
Making 4-11/16 Holes in Al Panel Rileyesi Metalworking 1 December 15th 03 09:44 PM