Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Making holes in walls

A very simple question - but I have no experience of doing this ever. I
need to create a 4" diameter hole in an outside block built cavity wall for
a ventilation outlet. What is the best way to do this? Is there something
I can hire that would make it very quick and easy?

Also I need to cit a similar hole in a plasterboard ceiling - I presume this
is dead easy - best to use a jigsaw?

TIA

Keith

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Keith Dunbar
scribeth thus
A very simple question - but I have no experience of doing this ever. I
need to create a 4" diameter hole in an outside block built cavity wall for
a ventilation outlet. What is the best way to do this? Is there something
I can hire that would make it very quick and easy?

Also I need to cit a similar hole in a plasterboard ceiling - I presume this
is dead easy - best to use a jigsaw?

TIA

Keith

Yep hole cutter and SDS drill on hire for your .. well local hire
outfit

Take it slowly and let the drill go at its own speed and make certain
that you have the drill level in all planes otherwise the hole will be
skewed and its a bu**er to put that right. When you have that around you
can do the ceiling or as you say use a jigsaw...

Makes a very neat job of it
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Keith Dunbar wrote:
A very simple question - but I have no experience of doing this ever. I
need to create a 4" diameter hole in an outside block built cavity wall for
a ventilation outlet. What is the best way to do this? Is there something
I can hire that would make it very quick and easy?

Either hire a core drill or stitch-drill a ring of holes and then use a
hammer and bolster.

Also I need to cit a similar hole in a plasterboard ceiling - I presume this
is dead easy - best to use a jigsaw?

Use a small handsaw, it's more controllable in plasterboard than an
(electric) jigsaw

TIA

Keith

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 22, 10:56 am, NoSpam wrote:
Keith Dunbar wrote:
A very simple question - but I have no experience of doing this ever. I
need to create a 4" diameter hole in an outside block built cavity wall
for a ventilation outlet. What is the best way to do this? Is there
something I can hire that would make it very quick and easy?

Either hire a core drill or stitch-drill a ring of holes and then use a
hammer and bolster.

A bolster? My bolster is about 4" across. You need a 1" or 1/2" cold
chisel once you've finised with the stitching.

Also I need to cut a similar hole in a plasterboard ceiling - I presume
this is dead easy - best to use a jigsaw?

Use a small handsaw, it's more controllable in plasterboard than an
(electric) jigsaw

Again, I don't think that's the right choice of tool. If you have a
hand padsaw then yes, but I certainly wouldn't want to cut a 4" hole
with even my smallest handsaw (which is a small dovetail saw).

To the OP: I'd use the electric drill, but if you can get at the
plasterboard from above, it will be MUCH easier!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Keith Dunbar wrote:

A very simple question - but I have no experience of doing this ever. I
need to create a 4" diameter hole in an outside block built cavity wall for
a ventilation outlet. What is the best way to do this? Is there something
I can hire that would make it very quick and easy?

A core drill is the usual way. Although for a one off you may find chain
drilling a ring of small holes round the perimeter of the big hole, and
knocking out the middle bit with a cold chisel acceptable.

Also I need to cit a similar hole in a plasterboard ceiling - I presume this
is dead easy - best to use a jigsaw?

For lots of them, use a holesaw or tank cutter on a drill. For one, draw
a line and use a drywall saw (these are sharp and pointy with coarse
teeth - you can plunge them through plasterboard and just saw round the
line)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 03:15:20 -0800 (PST) Martin Bonner wrote :
Again, I don't think that's the right choice of tool. If you
have a hand padsaw then yes, but I certainly wouldn't want to
cut a 4" hole with even my smallest handsaw (which is a small
dovetail saw).

I disclaim all IP rights to the following idea: two tubular members
(ally or heavy plastic) threaded together: loosen, insert bayonet
end jigsaw blade and tighten. Just the thing for socket holes etc
in plasterboard.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tony Bryer wrote:
On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 03:15:20 -0800 (PST) Martin Bonner wrote :
Again, I don't think that's the right choice of tool. If you
have a hand padsaw then yes, but I certainly wouldn't want to
cut a 4" hole with even my smallest handsaw (which is a small
dovetail saw).

I disclaim all IP rights to the following idea: two tubular members
(ally or heavy plastic) threaded together: loosen, insert bayonet
end jigsaw blade and tighten. Just the thing for socket holes etc
in plasterboard.

or

http://www.toolstation.com/search.ht...74057&Search=1

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/69929/...ard-Saw-7Tpi-6

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 13:29:49 +0000 John Rumm wrote :
or

http://www.toolstation.com/search.ht...74057&Search=1

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/69929/...halltown-Rock-
Warrior-Plasterboard-Saw-7Tpi-6

That's the sort of thing, save that my idea just uses standard jigsaw blades

Posted to uk.d-i-y

That's the sort of thing, save that my idea just uses standard jigsaw
blades

Probably better than my occasional bodge using a Stanley Knife saw blade
(sic) - eg
http://www.screwfix.co.uk/prods/5722...nife-Saw-Blade
Does save space though; and dirt cheap if you already have the knfie.

--
Robin