Posted to alt.home.repair
SBH SBH is offline

Default Drilling holes in basement concrete walls

I'm currently in the process of remodeling our basement. It's a finished
basement but with paneling and older moldings all around. The wife and I
just painted over the paneling and installed new molding which is coming out
quite nice. One thing I've discovered while doing this project is the method
the previous owner used to put up the walls. There are furring strips, with
foam insulated boards, then drywall and paneling on top of that. Some places
on the wall lead me to believe everything is glued and not drilled in. I am
assuming the furring strips are glued to the wall, but cannot accurately
conclude without tearing it up and that's not going to happen right now. The
wife wants some shelves on this wall and I do not feel safe about fastening
them to the paneling/drywall only. Therefore, I was thinking of drilling
into the concrete wall behind, then using Tapcon screws to put the shelves
up. The brackets for the shelves have many holes (8 per shelf x 3 shelves).
Will there be any consequences of drilling many holes into the concrete? I
feel uneasy about doing that also, but I'd thought I'd ask first.

Thank you for the help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

SBH wrote:
[...]

Don't worry about it - you don't need to go that far into the foundation
and the number of holes is trivial...

- Rodger

--

READ CAREFULLY. By reading the above message and/or this disclaimer,
you agree to release me from all obligations and waivers arising from
immediate and extended family, in perpetuity, without prejudice to my
ongoing rights and privileges.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 26, 8:35 pm, Rodger wrote:
SBH wrote:
[...]

ongoing rights and privileges.- Hide quoted text -

Of course Rodger is full of it, 8 holes per shelf says it all, but
with a Roger you will be sued for everything even non existant Radon
and Mold
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "SBH" wrote:
[...]

No worries on the structural strength. You'd have to drill a
ton of very large and deep holes to weaken those walls. You'd
install shelves by screwing into (relatively) flimsey studs.
A few Tapcon's sure ain't gonna kill your concrete.

Just worry about any pipes or cables that might have been
channeled in the concrete or run between the drywall/paneling
and the concrete. Also check that tightening the screws isn't
going to compress the insulation and deflect the drywall/panels.

And, yes, I'd be concerned about fastening shelves to the
drywall alone. That's okay for small pictures and the like.
But shelves should be fastened to something structurally solid
like studs or concrete, IMO.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |

Posted to alt.home.repair

SBH wrote:
[...]

The consensus says drill away. However, it might be simpler to build
a free standing shelf case. Simple vertical cleats along the two
vertical ends and a horizontal one across the top with maybe two molly
bolts in each into the drywall would keep it standing very well.
Actually, you only really need the top cleat.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

first.

No worries on the structural strength. You'd have to drill a
ton of very large and deep holes to weaken those walls.

True, it won't harm the wall itself. However, he'll be using Tapcons,
which grab by exerting radial force. Anchor manufacturers recommend a
distance of at least 10 anchor diameters between hole centers to prevent
cracks from forming between the anchor bores. (This is specified in
extreme detail for Tapcons he

http://www.icc-es.org/reports/pdf_fi...S/ESR-1328.pdf

If you have a dense pattern of fastener holes, you're better off
anchoring some backup lumber and drilling the dense pattern into the wood.

You'd
install shelves by screwing into (relatively) flimsey studs.
A few Tapcon's sure ain't gonna kill your concrete.

Just worry about any pipes or cables that might have been
channeled in the concrete or run between the drywall/paneling
and the concrete. Also check that tightening the screws isn't
going to compress the insulation and deflect the drywall/panels.

And, yes, I'd be concerned about fastening shelves to the
drywall alone. That's okay for small pictures and the like.
But shelves should be fastened to something structurally solid
like studs or concrete, IMO.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Robert Barr wrote:

If you have a dense pattern of fastener holes, you're better off
anchoring some backup lumber and drilling the dense pattern into the wood.

That's true but I have a hard time imagining anything in
a normal residence that would normally make it necessary.

It's not typically worth it with shelves -- you'd have to
drill as many holes in the concrete to fasten the backup
lumber as you would if you fastened the shelves directly
to the concrete. After all, a shelf is just a long piece
of lumber anyway ;-)

And in a really heavy duty situation, one would likely
want to use metal versus lumber as the intermediate
medium.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

According to SBH :
Therefore, I was thinking of drilling
into the concrete wall behind, then using Tapcon screws to put the shelves
up. The brackets for the shelves have many holes (8 per shelf x 3 shelves).
Will there be any consequences of drilling many holes into the concrete? I
feel uneasy about doing that also, but I'd thought I'd ask first.

I would assume that these are simple L utility brackets? These usually
have 6 holes (three for the wall and three for the shelf).

Must be enormous shelves with lots of load to need 8 brackets apiece!

Have you done checking to see whether your really do need that many
brackets per shelf?

At 3 tapcons per bracket, that's a lot of holes (around 75). Seems
way overkill. Unlikely to be a problem for the concrete unless the
holes are really close together.

When installing shelving like this, I tend to consider using track&bracket
type shelf supports. Has the advantage of being able to adjust
shelf height. You won't need nearly as many tapcons. You could cut
slots in the shelves to fit over the brackets.

In a utility area, I'd consider using 2x3's instead of metal tracks,
and use normal wood screws to fasten the brackets. You may be able
to "dress" (eg: sand/paint) the wood so it's more suitable for a
less-utilitarian look.

For 3 shelves, you could probably get away with 4 or 5 tapcons (of the
larger sizes I think) per track, unless the loading is unusually high.
You could even use lag+anchors if the track can be modified to suit.
--
Chris Lewis,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 26, 8:53 pm, "SBH" wrote:
[...]

Based on my experience with Tapcons (or ProCons) my only concern with
using them is that you typically have one chance to get them right.

If the hole is too sloppy the screws won't hold.

If the holes aren't exactly in the right place, you can't easily
correct it. Hit a rock or rebar and you'd have to relocate that
bracket and possibly anything associated with that bracket.

If the screw doesn't go in all the way the first time, rarely, if
ever, can you restart them without stripping or snapping them.

If you snap a screw, that hole is done.

If you back a screw out, typically that hole canot be reused.

I don't like to use TapCons (or ProCons) when precision is required.
In this case I'd consider attaching cleats to the wall, where exact
location of the fastener won't be as critical, and then attaching the
shelfs to the cleats. Easier to adjust/readjust the brackets later.