Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH dadiOH is offline

Default Drilling holes in basement concrete walls

SBH wrote:
I'm currently in the process of remodeling our basement. It's a
finished basement but with paneling and older moldings all around.
The wife and I just painted over the paneling and installed new
molding which is coming out quite nice. One thing I've discovered
while doing this project is the method the previous owner used to
put up the walls. There are furring strips, with foam insulated
boards, then drywall and paneling on top of that. Some places on
the wall lead me to believe everything is glued and not drilled in.
I am assuming the furring strips are glued to the wall, but cannot
accurately conclude without tearing it up and that's not going to
happen right now. The wife wants some shelves on this wall and I do
not feel safe about fastening them to the paneling/drywall only.
Therefore, I was thinking of drilling into the concrete wall
behind, then using Tapcon screws to put the shelves up. The
brackets for the shelves have many holes (8 per shelf x 3 shelves).
Will there be any consequences of drilling many holes into the
concrete? I feel uneasy about doing that also, but I'd thought I'd
ask first.

Thank you for the help.

The consensus says drill away. However, it might be simpler to build
a free standing shelf case. Simple vertical cleats along the two
vertical ends and a horizontal one across the top with maybe two molly
bolts in each into the drywall would keep it standing very well.
Actually, you only really need the top cleat.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...