Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Making holes in walls

Keith Dunbar wrote:

A very simple question - but I have no experience of doing this ever. I
need to create a 4" diameter hole in an outside block built cavity wall for
a ventilation outlet. What is the best way to do this? Is there something
I can hire that would make it very quick and easy?

A core drill is the usual way. Although for a one off you may find chain
drilling a ring of small holes round the perimeter of the big hole, and
knocking out the middle bit with a cold chisel acceptable.

Also I need to cit a similar hole in a plasterboard ceiling - I presume this
is dead easy - best to use a jigsaw?

For lots of them, use a holesaw or tank cutter on a drill. For one, draw
a line and use a drywall saw (these are sharp and pointy with coarse
teeth - you can plunge them through plasterboard and just saw round the
line)

--
Cheers,

John.