Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Motor start cap

The motor start cap on my chip collector seems to be a tiny bit dead.
Anyone know where I can find something similar to a CD60 cap, 100 uF,
250V AC or better. Size wants to be something in the order of 35mm
diameter and 80mm tall to fit in the bulge on the case.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

The motor start cap on my chip collector seems to be a tiny bit dead.
Anyone know where I can find something similar to a CD60 cap, 100 uF,
250V AC or better. Size wants to be something in the order of 35mm
diameter and 80mm tall to fit in the bulge on the case.

Almost any electronic store, or a p[lace that really stocks spares for
washing machines etc. etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

The motor start cap on my chip collector seems to be a tiny bit dead.
Anyone know where I can find something similar to a CD60 cap, 100 uF,
250V AC or better. Size wants to be something in the order of 35mm
diameter and 80mm tall to fit in the bulge on the case.

Almost any electronic store, or a p[lace that really stocks spares for
washing machines etc. etc.

Well I just looked in Maplin, CPC, RS and Rapid, and could not find an
exact match. RS had some that matched the spec, but were way to long to
fit the case. I could probably get a 60uF that would fit, not sure how
critical the actual capacitance is in this situation.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

The motor start cap on my chip collector seems to be a tiny bit dead.
Anyone know where I can find something similar to a CD60 cap, 100 uF,
250V AC or better. Size wants to be something in the order of 35mm
diameter and 80mm tall to fit in the bulge on the case.

When I needed one for my pressure washer, I went to a local motor rewind
firm, and they sorted through their bin and found me a used - but good -
one. It wasn't identical to the original one in size, but it fitted and
works fine.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 20:09:04 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

John Rumm wrote:

The motor start cap on my chip collector seems to be a tiny bit dead.
Anyone know where I can find something similar to a CD60 cap, 100 uF,
250V AC or better. Size wants to be something in the order of 35mm
diameter and 80mm tall to fit in the bulge on the case.

When I needed one for my pressure washer, I went to a local motor rewind
firm,

I'd second that. You can find them in most big towns.

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John Rumm
writes

The motor start cap on my chip collector seems to be a tiny bit dead.
Anyone know where I can find something similar to a CD60 cap, 100 uF,
250V AC or better. Size wants to be something in the order of 35mm
diameter and 80mm tall to fit in the bulge on the case.

Umm... have you checked the windings?

I acquired a chip collector (2.2kW s/ph.) on the basis that the
capacitor was duff but the motor might be OK. Trying it with a
*borrowed* capacitor was disappointing. It ran but very noisily.

After some investigation, I decided to buy a new 3ph motor for roughly
the cost of re-winding the original. The suppliers kindly turned down
the shaft for me as they had it disassembled to fit the flanged mount.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm *wrote:

The motor start cap on my chip collector seems to be a tiny bit dead.
Anyone know where I can find something similar to a CD60 cap, 100 uF,
250V AC or better. Size wants to be something in the order of 35mm
diameter and 80mm tall to fit in the bulge on the case.

When I needed one for my pressure washer, I went to a local motor rewind
firm,

I'd second that. You can find them in most big towns.

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net

I'll third that - I had a similar problem with a 2kw motor from an old
pressure cleaner that I was converting to drive my circular saw; blew
the starter cap and got a replacement from the local rewind company.
Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , John Rumm
writes

The motor start cap on my chip collector seems to be a tiny bit dead.
Anyone know where I can find something similar to a CD60 cap, 100 uF,
250V AC or better. Size wants to be something in the order of 35mm
diameter and 80mm tall to fit in the bulge on the case.

Umm... have you checked the windings?

Yup, it runs ok if I give it a spin to get it started. I do have two
doubts however. When disassembling it today I did notice that the stator
winding had slight discolouration in a couple of places that suggests it
might be getting hot. There was a binding string that was wrapped round
the bundle of enamelled copper wire at the top, that looked like it may
have been burnt through in a couple of locations.

The other one was I could not hear the centrifugal switch clicking out
as the revs spun up or down. It seemed to move freely by hand however. I
am sure in the past I used to hear it click in and out at at spin up and
down.

I acquired a chip collector (2.2kW s/ph.) on the basis that the
capacitor was duff but the motor might be OK. Trying it with a
*borrowed* capacitor was disappointing. It ran but very noisily.

This is a SIP twin bag jobbie with 1hp motor. Not that old - three years
perhaps.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John Rumm
writes
John Rumm wrote:

The motor start cap on my chip collector seems to be a tiny bit
dead. Anyone know where I can find something similar to a CD60 cap,
100 uF, 250V AC or better. Size wants to be something in the order
of 35mm diameter and 80mm tall to fit in the bulge on the case.

Almost any electronic store, or a p[lace that really stocks spares
for washing machines etc. etc.

Well I just looked in Maplin, CPC, RS and Rapid, and could not find an
exact match. RS had some that matched the spec, but were way to long to
fit the case. I could probably get a 60uF that would fit, not sure how
critical the actual capacitance is in this situation.

100uF sounds quite high, are you sure that's right?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , geoff
writes
In message , John Rumm
writes
John Rumm wrote:

The motor start cap on my chip collector seems to be a tiny bit
dead. Anyone know where I can find something similar to a CD60 cap,
100 uF, 250V AC or better. Size wants to be something in the order
of 35mm diameter and 80mm tall to fit in the bulge on the case.

Almost any electronic store, or a p[lace that really stocks spares
for washing machines etc. etc.

Well I just looked in Maplin, CPC, RS and Rapid, and could not find an
exact match. RS had some that matched the spec, but were way to long
to fit the case. I could probably get a 60uF that would fit, not sure
how critical the actual capacitance is in this situation.

100uF sounds quite high, are you sure that's right?

What are the physical dimensions ?

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

The motor start cap on my chip collector seems to be a tiny bit dead.
Anyone know where I can find something similar to a CD60 cap, 100 uF,
250V AC or better. Size wants to be something in the order of 35mm
diameter and 80mm tall to fit in the bulge on the case.

Almost any electronic store, or a p[lace that really stocks spares for
washing machines etc. etc.

Well I just looked in Maplin, CPC, RS and Rapid, and could not find an
exact match. RS had some that matched the spec, but were way to long to
fit the case. I could probably get a 60uF that would fit, not sure how
critical the actual capacitance is in this situation.

The value directly relates to starting torque.
It's not critical. Significantly lower value might cause
problems if the motor expects to start with any load or
any significant initial friction to overcome.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , John Rumm
writes
John Rumm wrote:

The motor start cap on my chip collector seems to be a tiny bit
dead. Anyone know where I can find something similar to a CD60 cap,
100 uF, 250V AC or better. Size wants to be something in the order
of 35mm diameter and 80mm tall to fit in the bulge on the case.

Almost any electronic store, or a p[lace that really stocks spares
for washing machines etc. etc.

Well I just looked in Maplin, CPC, RS and Rapid, and could not find an
exact match. RS had some that matched the spec, but were way to long
to fit the case. I could probably get a 60uF that would fit, not sure
how critical the actual capacitance is in this situation.

100uF sounds quite high, are you sure that's right?

Well it is what is written on the side of it:
http://www.internode.co.uk/SIP/DSCN5328.JPG

I took some other piccies:

Where it lives:
http://www.internode.co.uk/SIP/DSCN5330.JPG

Top plate off:
http://www.internode.co.uk/SIP/DSCN5332.JPG

Run switch - open position:
http://www.internode.co.uk/SIP/DSCN5334.JPG

(seems to be one of these: http://www.cnxiongzhen.com/product0.htm )

Closes easily with light pressure - electrical connection checks out ok
when closed:
http://www.internode.co.uk/SIP/DSCN5335.JPG

Centrifugal switch - rest position
http://www.internode.co.uk/SIP/DSCN5336.JPG

Spinning position - reasonably firm push required, but it moves nice and
freely once you overcome the spring force:
http://www.internode.co.uk/SIP/DSCN5338.JPG

Broken string on one side of stator:
http://www.internode.co.uk/SIP/DSCN5339.JPG

And the other side:
http://www.internode.co.uk/SIP/DSCN5340.JPG

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , geoff writes
In message , John
Rumm writes
John Rumm wrote:

The motor start cap on my chip collector seems to be a tiny bit
dead. Anyone know where I can find something similar to a CD60 cap,
100 uF, 250V AC or better. Size wants to be something in the order
of 35mm diameter and 80mm tall to fit in the bulge on the case.

Almost any electronic store, or a p[lace that really stocks spares
for washing machines etc. etc.

Well I just looked in Maplin, CPC, RS and Rapid, and could not find
an exact match. RS had some that matched the spec, but were way to
long to fit the case. I could probably get a 60uF that would fit, not
sure how critical the actual capacitance is in this situation.

100uF sounds quite high, are you sure that's right?

What are the physical dimensions ?

about 80mm tall (excluding wires which exit the top of the can directly
without any tags), and 35mm diameter.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
The motor start cap on my chip collector seems to be a tiny bit dead.
Anyone know where I can find something similar to a CD60 cap, 100 uF,
250V AC or better. Size wants to be something in the order of 35mm
diameter and 80mm tall to fit in the bulge on the case.

Almost any electronic store, or a p[lace that really stocks spares for
washing machines etc. etc.

Well I just looked in Maplin, CPC, RS and Rapid, and could not find an
exact match. RS had some that matched the spec, but were way to long to
fit the case. I could probably get a 60uF that would fit, not sure how
critical the actual capacitance is in this situation.

The value directly relates to starting torque.
It's not critical. Significantly lower value might cause
problems if the motor expects to start with any load or
any significant initial friction to overcome.

I can find plenty of places selling 60uF devices...

Its only driving the impeller which is mounted directly on the motor
shaft. The top and bottom ballraces mean the whole thing spins very
freely - there is a inertia to overcome but little friction at low speed.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm writes:
geoff wrote:

100uF sounds quite high, are you sure that's right?

Well it is what is written on the side of it:
http://www.internode.co.uk/SIP/DSCN5328.JPG

I just checked a Clarke induction motor I have here.
That's got a 75uF start capacitor, for a 510W motor.
That's probably OTT for starting the drill press which
isn't going to have any significant starting load, but
I suspect the motor is probably more general purpose
and may also be used on machinary which does have a
starting load. (Clarke do also sell just the motors.)

I had to replace the capacitor in my lawn mower a few years
back. That's a 1200W or 1600W motor (can't recall), but I
think the capacitor was a lot less than above, so you can't
necessarily tell just from the motor power. (OTOH, I
suspect that might be a run capacitor rather than just a
start capacitor.) The capcitor died slowly in that case,
it gradually got less and less starting torque (less able
to start with any grass around the blade), and finally
had to be started by hand (not brilliant for a lawn mower;-)
and would happily run in either direction. When I got inside
to the capacitor, it had spewed it's contents out (slowly
I guess), which had set solid again as it cooled outside
the case.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Motor start cap - sorted hopefully

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
John Rumm writes:
geoff wrote:
100uF sounds quite high, are you sure that's right?

Well it is what is written on the side of it:
http://www.internode.co.uk/SIP/DSCN5328.JPG

I just checked a Clarke induction motor I have here.
That's got a 75uF start capacitor, for a 510W motor.
That's probably OTT for starting the drill press which
isn't going to have any significant starting load, but
I suspect the motor is probably more general purpose
and may also be used on machinary which does have a
starting load. (Clarke do also sell just the motors.)

This is 750W, but again not much starting load (although I expect the
fan load becomes significant before the motor is to full speed).

Rather than trawl round too many shops I phoned SIP earlier and got them
to direct me at an authorised spares place. Prolly cost a bit more that
way (£14 inc delivery) but saves too much farting about.

I had to replace the capacitor in my lawn mower a few years
back. That's a 1200W or 1600W motor (can't recall), but I
think the capacitor was a lot less than above, so you can't
necessarily tell just from the motor power. (OTOH, I
suspect that might be a run capacitor rather than just a
start capacitor.) The capcitor died slowly in that case,

These often seem to be smaller capacitance than the start ones.

it gradually got less and less starting torque (less able
to start with any grass around the blade), and finally
had to be started by hand (not brilliant for a lawn mower;-)

Yes I can see that may have a H&S bod squirming ;-)

and would happily run in either direction. When I got inside
to the capacitor, it had spewed it's contents out (slowly
I guess), which had set solid again as it cooled outside
the case.

The case on mine looked a little worse for ware, and the inside of the
housing was damp with what looked like leaked electrolyte, but no major
show of guts! Having said that, it was showing diddly squat in the way
of capacitance - a large wedge of DC series resistance you could see on
a high ohms range, but 100uF it sure wasn't!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John Rumm
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes

[...]

Umm again:-)

It is a very long time since I knew anything about any of this but 100uF
for a 1hp motor sounds excessive. The motor rewind people will know.
AFAIR the start winding has more turns of a lower resistance than the
main so may be apparent from the wire gauge.

Permanently connecting something designed for intermittent operation
sounds like a cooking recipe. You can get enough speed to operate the
switch by wrapping a few turns of string around the shaft and pulling.
Disconnect first:-)

I acquired a chip collector (2.2kW s/ph.) on the basis that the
capacitor was duff but the motor might be OK. Trying it with a
*borrowed* capacitor was disappointing. It ran but very noisily.

This is a SIP twin bag jobbie with 1hp motor. Not that old - three
years perhaps.

Age wasn't the issue. The previous owner had installed it out of sight
and allowed the system to overfill: stalling the fan.

regards

--
Tim Lamb